Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

can anyone explain the stage 1 dowload?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 01:30 PM
Toe Knee
Road Master
Received 87 Likes on 47 Posts
Default can anyone explain the stage 1 dowload?

I realize that the stage one download will raise the rev limiter to 6500. I also know that it will help re-calerbrate the fuel tables to help compensate for a higher flowing air cleaner but am i correct in saying that the fuel/air ratio will still be out of wack and epa compliant?
Also-can anyone give a quick run down on each SE tuners and how they work? Ie-where the calebrations come from and if a dyno run is needed? Thanks-tony

Old 11-23-2010, 03:11 PM
hellmut73
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I am no techie, but I will give you my understanding.

The stage one download will enrich the air/fuel mix to accommodate the addition of a high flow air cleaner and high flow exhaust. But this download is very generic. It is not specific or "tuned" as if you were to use a Power Comander or SERT. I have owned both tuners and they both have pluses and minuses. That is a whole other thread.

As for the SE tuners I believe there are two. A Screaming Eagle Race Tuner and Screaming Eagle Street Tuner. I would recommend the Race Tuner. If you look around on the internet you can find a SERT for the MSRP of a Street Tuner. I don't have any experience with the Street Tuner but it sounds like you still need the dealer to be involved (to simply download maps, which they will charge you for). The SERT works either by map and auto tune (some maps included on program disk), or Dyno. If you are looking for a tuner DynoJet (makers of the Power Commander), have a new tuner coming out that looks awesome. There is a thread on here somewhere or you can check it out on the fuelmoto website.

My OPINION is save up your money and buy a tuner. Either Power Commander, SERT, or the new one. They might cost you a little more but they are worth it.

Old 11-23-2010, 04:15 PM
hdramon07
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did the stage 1 download on my Dyna, & it ran like c**p. Had to get a SERT to get it running right. Went straight to SERT on the UC...no problems. I would avoid the stage 1 download if possible.

Old 11-23-2010, 04:24 PM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Steve Cole (TTS mastertune designer) used to work for the moco and he says that if you use harley parts ie a harley air cleaner and harley slip ons etc the stage 1 down load will be very close, if you stray from this ie use different brand pipes and air cleaner cams etc it won't be as close.
I have the street tuner, and had I known that I could not reflash it myself I would have gotten something different. That said the dealer only charges like $30 to do the reflash (you can not reflash yourself because you need a security token that is only avail to HD dealers). I have a 2011 RGU with SE slip ons and SE a/c and I will say it runs very nice and for my set up I doubt I could be any better with any other tuner.

Old 11-23-2010, 06:36 PM
we_brown
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My dealer doesn't even sell the SE Street tuner. They recommend the TTS Mastertune. The Street tuner is Veeeeery limited. You can only load canned maps from HD. It can not be tuned.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:17 PM
head
Road Captain
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

my 06 has the s/e air cleaner and s/e slip ons with the stage 1 downolad. it is a good running bike all around with this simple setup.

head

Old 11-23-2010, 07:38 PM
bbstacker70
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was talking with my service mgr just a few days ago about the Harley downloads, he said that once done it permanently changes the ecm, if I didn't like the way it ran he couldn't chg the ecm back to factory spec's. That is why he rec'd the sert. I was really surprised at the cost of sert & tune. Makes me want to keep it stock, buy an extended warrenty for half the cost of stage 1 ( with cat I need entire exhaust system) and if it burns up due to epa lean tune and heat let harley fix it.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:39 PM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Download = Waste of Money

Put the money towards a TTS Mastertune.

Steve

Old 11-23-2010, 08:21 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by head
my 06 has the s/e air cleaner and s/e slip ons with the stage 1 downolad. it is a good running bike all around with this simple setup.

head
That's basically what we have, but an important thing to note, according to my dealer tech, is that 2006 was the last year that the download actually enrichened the mixture, regardless of aircleaner or pipe modifications. In 2007 and up the EPA is much more stringent.

The best thing for me was that the download eliminated the annoying, sudden, brief, throttle surge that plagued the EFI when slowing down with the throttle closed. The second best was being able to take off with a cold bike without a lean cough.

Old 11-23-2010, 09:27 PM
sanlyn
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hellmut73
As for the SE tuners I believe there are two. A Screaming Eagle Race Tuner and Screaming Eagle Street Tuner. I would recommend the Race Tuner. If you look around on the internet you can find a SERT for the MSRP of a Street Tuner.
I had the Race Tuner for my Fat Bob ... now that I have the Road Glide, I can't find a Race Tuner, just the Street Tuner. Any idea how to find one? I've seen some used ones, but once they're "married" to the bike, they can't be used on another bike.

Quick Reply: can anyone explain the stage 1 dowload?