Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kick/Jiffy stand unstable?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 06:26 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

As long as we are on this subject, have you noticed how far over your SG leans when parked? I thought that was extreme, until it was pointed out to me on this forum that you can mount your bike from the right side, by standing on the right floorboard, and it won't tip over.

I didn't believe it, until I went out to the garage and tried it. No way I could have done that on any of my previous non-Harley bikes.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:07 PM
mfuchs2004
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AThousandHurricanes
True. This one is new and I only have a couple thousand miles on it, but that stand has freaked me out from day 1. Looks likenit is normal, however there is a first for everything, an I didn't want to be the first one to start the thread titled "My new SG just fell over because I trusted this wobbly stand"!
I heard dat!

Old 12-01-2010, 09:36 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,854 Likes on 2,420 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by AThousandHurricanes
True. This one is new and I only have a couple thousand miles on it, but that stand has freaked me out from day 1. Looks likenit is normal, however there is a first for everything, an I didn't want to be the first one to start the thread titled "My new SG just fell over because I trusted this wobbly stand"!
Next time you visit a Harley dealer stroll round and study each bike, new and used. It is likely every one of them is parked on its jiffy stand, including all the SGs! Yours does not have a wobbly stand, but as for its owner....

Old 12-01-2010, 09:50 AM
NoBoldRider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MNPGRider
As long as we are on this subject, have you noticed how far over your SG leans when parked? I thought that was extreme, until it was pointed out to me on this forum that you can mount your bike from the right side, by standing on the right floorboard, and it won't tip over.

I didn't believe it, until I went out to the garage and tried it. No way I could have done that on any of my previous non-Harley bikes.
The jiffy stand has been around forever. I used to kickstart my old shovel with it on the stand. There I was with all my weight on the right side of the bike, using all my weight on the kicker and never had a problem with the stand. I do realize that to a new Harley owner that it seems wobbly but like others have said, it's the best stand I've ever seen. On my old bikes, I also used to just ride off the stand and then give it a kick to make sure it came all the way up.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:02 AM
petom
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,034 Likes on 519 Posts

Have you tried re-torquing the nut behind the handlebars?

Old 12-01-2010, 08:33 PM
tidbit1
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I use to think the same thing "it is going to roll forward and fall". NOT. I took my stand off once to change the floorboards. Noticing how it is designed .IT WILL NOT ROLL OFF IF YOU HAVE IT FULLY EXTENDED. If it rolls off after being fully extended it is flawed. My 02cents

Old 12-01-2010, 08:37 PM
Harleyboyddk
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jiffy stand freaked me out seven years ago, give it no thought anymore.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:56 PM
Teardrop
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Nope, as long as the Jiffy stand is all the way out when the bike is set down it will never fall over.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:04 PM
AThousandHurricanes
Road Master

Originally Posted by NoBoldRider
The jiffy stand has been around forever. I used to kickstart my old shovel with it on the stand. There I was with all my weight on the right side of the bike, using all my weight on the kicker and never had a problem with the stand. I do realize that to a new Harley owner that it seems wobbly but like others have said, it's the best stand I've ever seen. On my old bikes, I also used to just ride off the stand and then give it a kick to make sure it came all the way up.
Except that I have owned at least one Harley since '98. Not as long as many on here, but I know my way around their bikes, at least their other models. None have had this much slack. But Alas, It doesn't matter. It is apparently designed that way, but IMO is a flawed design to have so much sway. I will probably change it out at some point. To each there own.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:05 PM
AThousandHurricanes
Road Master

Originally Posted by tidbit1
I use to think the same thing "it is going to roll forward and fall". NOT. I took my stand off once to change the floorboards. Noticing how it is designed .IT WILL NOT ROLL OFF IF YOU HAVE IT FULLY EXTENDED. If it rolls off after being fully extended it is flawed. My 02cents
Now this and some of the others are they kind of help I was looking for. I appreciate it.

Quick Reply: Kick/Jiffy stand unstable?