Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kick/Jiffy stand unstable?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 09:43 PM
Wassup8687
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I first got my bike I was worried it was going to roll off the stand. Once I got use to the little bit of movement all was fine.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:59 PM
NoBoldRider
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AThousandHurricanes
Except that I have owned at least one Harley since '98. Not as long as many on here, but I know my way around their bikes, at least their other models. None have had this much slack. But Alas, It doesn't matter. It is apparently designed that way, but IMO is a flawed design to have so much sway. I will probably change it out at some point. To each there own.
You're right, each to their own. I can't fault you for your opinion, but if you crawl down and look at the way the Jiffy stand works, you might change your mind, maybe not. I currently own a 2000 Fatboy and a 2009 Street glide and I still trust the stands, just like I always have.

Old 12-01-2010, 11:32 PM
steelpony5555
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never park my bike in gear unless it is on a fairly steep hill. I am also 300+ lbs and I have sat on my bike and reclined back to relax with no problems. It's just a matter of trust lol. Never seen one break yet.

Old 12-02-2010, 12:53 AM
1SG_CFP
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently bought my first Harley, an 05 FLHTI. Every time I set it on the stand, I fretted about the slack. I was going to crawl under there and look to see if there was a slot that it locked in and whether mine is Ok. You guys saved me a trip. Now I can go look for something else to fret about.

Old 12-02-2010, 04:19 AM
rkride
Cruiser

My king has been hit twice while parked and both times, the bike never went over. The first time it was pushed 1.5 feet. The second time, the bike was hit hard enough to marr the forks, bent the fender and bend the kick stand but it still stayed upright. So yes, I trust the jiffy stand.

Old 12-02-2010, 02:46 PM
RPS1981
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just bought my first Harley, a 2006 Street Glide. Didn't take me long to discover two things...

#1 The jiffy stand is unlike the kickstand on any other bike I've owned.

#2 It starts in gear without the clutch pulled in!

Love this bike... asking myself why I didn't do it (buy a Harley) years ago! And thanks to this thread I'll stop worrying about the jiffy stand.

Old 05-03-2019, 08:45 AM
Camden Citty
Stage I

Originally Posted by mfuchs2004
It does indeed move 2-3 inches on the touring models and less on the other models. This is a function of the length of the lever. The lighter bikes have a shorter lever so they don't appear to move as much. In reality, they all move the same number of degrees at the pivot point. Now that you have the bike up, go ahead and examine how the lever will lock into the base when the bike's weight forces it to engage. I can see from your posts that you're having a hard time believing all of us. Let me reverse your question if I may: do you know of a single rider reporting his bike tipping off the jiffy? I've never even heard a rumor other than seeing one dig a hole in fresh asphalt and tip but in the end that stand was STILL locked in place.
2018 street bob and yes had mine tip twice once rolling foward and another was my fault and tipped opposite of the stand. Currently looking into streching the spring and maybe taking off the rubber on the bottom of the stand. The weight of the street bob doesnt push the js into the locked position i have to learn the bike on the stand almost bringing the front tire up before its in the locked position.

Old 05-03-2019, 12:55 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,523 Likes on 4,073 Posts

Originally Posted by Camden Citty
2018 street bob and yes had mine tip twice once rolling foward and another was my fault and tipped opposite of the stand. Currently looking into streching the spring and maybe taking off the rubber on the bottom of the stand. The weight of the street bob doesnt push the js into the locked position i have to learn the bike on the stand almost bringing the front tire up before its in the locked position.
Three things come to mind.....

1) You posted in a thread that is almost 8 1/2 years old.... and the guy you quoted hasn't posted since 2011.....

2) The jiffy stand on your bike, the new mono shock frame, is different than the jiffy stand of the older softails bikes, and any of the bullet-proof, reliable jiffy stands..

Here's some reading for you : https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...8-softail.html

3) And I would agree, it would be really hard to blame the jiffy stand if your bike tips opposite the side of the stand.... clearly operator error...

Last edited by hattitude; 05-03-2019 at 01:02 PM.
The following users liked this post:
GalvTexGuy (05-03-2019)
Old 05-03-2019, 03:52 PM
svarnster
Road Warrior
Received 299 Likes on 244 Posts

I would get down and see what was going on with it. maybe something blocking the metal from sliding into place.. and I always leave mine in gear if on an incline to prevent it from rolling.

I understand this is an old thread but, If he would have just asked the question he would have been slammed for not looking at old posts . so cudos on doing some research and asking questions that is what it is all about.

The following users liked this post:
Bodacious MC (05-03-2019)
Old 05-04-2019, 11:07 AM
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 15,224 Likes on 6,294 Posts

Originally Posted by DTTJGlide
NO, the jiffy stand locks & can't move past a certain point even if you try & push the bike forward.
Yep!!

Quick Reply: Kick/Jiffy stand unstable?