Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to me Ultra

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 09:50 AM
prostar
Club Member
Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts
Default New to me Ultra

Well after much thought and about a dozen trips to three different dealers I traded my 08 anniversary edition Softail Custom for a 09 Ultra with ABS, security, and spoke wheels. I rode some 08 Ultras at one dealership, one of the bikes the ABS light didn't turn off and it had wet oil on the drain pan, his other 08 had a lot dry oil on the bottom and ran rough. I don't understand why bikes in a showroom aren't detailed. One dealership doesn't do test rides. They also would give you a range or trade and a range of payments. I told them I wanted the out the door amount not this BS. They also have a $775.00 dealer prep on used bikes.

The dealer I found my bike at was the dealer I bought the 08 Softail from. They low balled the trade so I went to their other dealership and got a higher trade value. Before I got home I had 4 phone calls teliing me sorry we misqoted your trade and we will give you our other stores trade valuation. Once again I was misquoted because on my ride home my bike lost $500.00 from the higher valuation of the their other store. I told them to get their valuations figured out and call me back.

When they figured out everything I came in and rode an 07 classic and the 09 Ultra. Two things I didn't like about the 07 was the seat pushed me forward more and the bikes vibration at idle and slow turning speeds. The 09 fit me better and had all the options I wanted. I took the bike and rode this weekend where I practice slow speed manuvering. I use to do a u-turn in a 2 parking space distance, now its 3 so I have work to do to get use to the bike. It rides like a cadallac compared to the old bike. Let the mods begin.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:54 AM
shore
Stellar HDF Member
Received 96 Likes on 70 Posts

Very nice

Old 12-13-2010, 09:57 AM
LadyDeluxe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congratulations on your Ultra, nice looking bike. Ride safe and enjoy.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:01 AM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by prostar
I don't understand why bikes in a showroom aren't detailed.

They also have a $775.00 dealer prep on used bikes.
This cracks me up. They probably knocked the previous owner down on trade in for the same prep fee, then just wheeled her in the showroom and put a tag on it.

Congrats on the new scoot

Old 12-13-2010, 10:06 AM
crackercap
Road Master

a $775.00 dealer prep fee sucks, not being in used bike negotiating situation for some time, is this normal or another way of dealer gouging? That would be a deal killer for me.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:38 AM
sargek
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice ride, hope you enjoy it. I love my '07 Ultra. The dealer prep on used bikes is a joke, at least in my experience. Mine wasn't even washed until I actually bought it, but that's no big deal to me, I was more concerned about mechanics than appearance. My dealer told me "they do a safety inspection" on used bikes. Not sure what that means, but I am guessing it means make sure the tires are good and nothing is falling off, then slap a for sale sign on it. One '08 I looked at had fresh oil leaking from the crankcase centerline gasket on the bottom of the motor. Sad, really.

Old 12-13-2010, 01:53 PM
cayers
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats and enjoy your new Ultra!

Old 12-13-2010, 02:11 PM
isac
Road Master

Congrats on your Ultra.

Old 12-13-2010, 05:22 PM
big ears
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also bought an 09 that was used. Had 2000 miles. I got 11000 on it now. Great handling bike. You should have a great ride.

Old 12-13-2010, 05:28 PM
bksmoky
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought my 09 new in 2008. Very happy with it. Good choice--enjoy!

Mine is parked for the winter with 18 inches of snow outside the garage.

Quick Reply: New to me Ultra