Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painting an anniversary model

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 09:36 AM
vet767
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jberg
I don't believe that the anniversary editions are worth more money so I would say paint away. The 2003's must all be painted because you used to see them all the time now you see only a few. Special edition stuff is only special if they're made in very limited quantities. The first 2003 I saw was cool. Six months later everyone had one. We used to laugh when there were six in a row outside the bar.
I guess my 03 FXDL is gonna be worth something down the road. Didn't buy it for the paint but I have grown to love it. Vivid black and silver with all the hd script in the stripe. My fl is limited paint Crimson Red Sunglo 2008 paint. Take a trip to Cincy last spring, go for a ride w/ a friend and park at a cool bar. Go to leave and there are 4 more the same color parked next to me. Still a cool color to me.

Last edited by vet767; 02-12-2011 at 09:42 AM.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:08 AM
Wassup8687
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I happen to like the colors but if I didn't I wouldn't hesitate to trade tins, get new tins, or paint yours.

Unless someone else is paying it's all your choice.

Old 02-12-2011, 11:00 AM
UltraClassicElectraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the '08 Coppertop, and almost bought one. I had a 2003 100-year anniversary bike in the black/silver two tone with that, ah, 'distinctive' striping that said 'H-D'. Now to me, THAT was an ugly color and it seemed that Harley only built about 99% of the Touring series in that combination. I remember pulling up to a four-way stop sign, and I'm not kidding, two other Harley's just like mine from two separate directions pulled up at the same time. I pulled away, thinking this bike's got to go.

I personally don't think painting an anniversary bike makes much difference to the resale value, since I don't think it has much, if any, added difference in resale value in the real 'buyer's' world. Based on the paint schemes Harley typically chooses, some might argue that it actually lowers the value.

If your tired of the Coppertop, paint it.

Old 02-12-2011, 11:01 AM
Da Butcher
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by grbrown
There must be thousands of them! You could keep the 105th tank badges etc on it, so it doesn't lose its identity. You could accept the challenge of designing a colour scheme that Harley should have used!
Yes. Perhaps follow the same basic theme and color intent, but use a cool metal flake black and metal flake candy tangerine, or something like that. At a glance it 'fits' to those that might be anniversary or value conscious but up close it would kill over the 'regular' modest copper and plain black. Put the badges back on of course. You can also do the inner fairing to match in the two-tone, but do yours in a slightly more unique pattern than we might expect to see. It might look like factory prototype color. You know, that cool stuff we might see in a car show that is always toned down for production costs.

But, you must post pics asap!

Old 02-12-2011, 11:13 AM
strtarrow
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Just after this came out I was working in El Paso and would frequent Barnett's HD on a regular basis. They have hundreds of bikes on display at any given time and I got sick of seeing the 08 anniversary color as there were so many of them. Like already said, do what you want with it. You will have to decide what is the most cost effective option for you. I had my bike repainted, same color but different pin striping and tank badge. You are the one that has to be happy with your bike. BTW, personally I like the 03 anniversary color scheme much better but JMO.

Old 02-12-2011, 11:26 AM
1st 96 ultra
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

having the wifes tins painted right now , but someone on here advised to save the old tins in case the paint job is not what you really thought it would be or you just want to go back so bought a set on the classifieds on here for $400 and having them painted and going to save hers or sell them in a while , just have not figured out how to keep the tank from rusting inside , but like the others have said its your call just have to decide and go for it

Old 02-12-2011, 01:55 PM
#1rocketman
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Annivesary

I asked that question about a year or so ago.Most guys opinions were the same as far as value depreciation....not much if any. Mine's a 95th anniversary so it was numbered.Always loved the look of a sweet black Harley Road King with wide whites,beach bars and fat mufflers.But the more I've had mine and realizing i'd need to get rid of the HogPro wheels,tires,bars,mufflers,I just as well trade bikes.The color has grown on me a bit and I certainly don't see many 95th ones,especially RoadKings. Who knows...maybe next year I'll give her a new suit,definately keep the badges and not be concerned about depreciation of a color change.

Attached Thumbnails Painting an anniversary model-user86928_pic30314_1238281436.jpg  
Old 02-12-2011, 04:20 PM
mikebaby
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default !

Originally Posted by aviator
yeah - like we laugh at all the black bikes lined up. LOL
HA! There are a lot of vivid black bikes around. But when they are clean, they do look SWEET.

mikebaby

Old 02-16-2011, 11:38 AM
RCruising
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input, looking for a painter in South Central PA now.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:25 PM
danmo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I like the 105th color scheme.
My vote is on selling/trading the tins for what you want. Maybe buy a set off ebay that you like and then put yours up for sale.

Quick Reply: Painting an anniversary model