Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fire Fighters Discount ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 11:57 AM
FFeric
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

When this thread first started I wondered how long it would take for the bashing to start. I been a ff for 17 years and leo for 3. I never have taken anything for free. There are a couple places that might give 10% off a meal. We take it, but we just leave a bigger tip.

There is a dealer in the Milwaukee area that will give a discount on the special edition bikes.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:10 PM
VTGlideRider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HDDOC
If I knew where this thread was going I would have never asked the question. I never realized how many people really dislike FF and LEO. For all of you that gave a good response I Thank You!!! For all the negatives please place a sign in front of your homes expressing your feelings so I can have my brothers in uniform Thank You. On another note I recieved my first discount from Mother Harley back in 1970 when I bought my second Harley from the BX in Saigon and it was waiting for me when I returned home to the states. I believe that discount still applies to all our troops today. Thanks Doc
Doc, I think the vast majority of people here appreciate the job all public safety workers do, myself included. Yea you have the occasional guy who got nailed by the cop doing their job or ran into the cop with a bad attitude, but I would bet those are a really small minority of the cases. What I think has cranked people up here is the fact that there seems to be a notion that public safety workers should get something for less money than the rest of the world pays simply because of what they do for a living. What makes the LEO or FF more valuable or important than a doctor, nurse, the guy who builds the house you and your family live in, etc? We all have our roles and chosen professions, many of them dangerous, and probably all are heros to someone at one point or another, even if its only our families. Yes, people die doing the job you do. They die doing other things too, and their loss is just as devastating to their families.

Its human nature that when you single out a group for an entitlement others not in that group will wonder why not them too. I think that's what your seeing here, not a dislike for the Police Officer or Firefighter in general. Thanks for the job all of you do!

Old 02-15-2011, 12:53 PM
07FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by VTGlideRider
Doc, I think the vast majority of people here appreciate the job all public safety workers do, myself included. Yea you have the occasional guy who got nailed by the cop doing their job or ran into the cop with a bad attitude, but I would bet those are a really small minority of the cases. What I think has cranked people up here is the fact that there seems to be a notion that public safety workers should get something for less money than the rest of the world pays simply because of what they do for a living. What makes the LEO or FF more valuable or important than a doctor, nurse, the guy who builds the house you and your family live in, etc? We all have our roles and chosen professions, many of them dangerous, and probably all are heros to someone at one point or another, even if its only our families. Yes, people die doing the job you do. They die doing other things too, and their loss is just as devastating to their families.

Its human nature that when you single out a group for an entitlement others not in that group will wonder why not them too. I think that's what your seeing here, not a dislike for the Police Officer or Firefighter in general. Thanks for the job all of you do!
I agree. Very well put VT.

Old 02-15-2011, 01:06 PM
MotorMedic
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Everyone always forgets EMS. Spent 20+ years in professional EMS, 7 of those in an urban, inner-city service in NJ. Try getting shot at with nothing to shoot back with. And no, I never got a discount on anything, especially big ticket items like my EG Classic, nor did I ever ask. Let's also not forget that lots of people have dangerous jobs that aren't in the emergency or uniformed services, or the military, who are a big part of our being able to ride where and when we want.

To my hose-pulling and gun-toating brothers and sisters, stay safe! But if the sh*t hits the fan, don't forget whose gonna come and get you!
Oh so true. Though I respect the two professions and work closely with both daily, after 32 years as a medic, I've learned that nobody gives a crap about EMS till you need us.

Old 02-15-2011, 01:38 PM
streetglide44
Road Captain

Originally Posted by 07FLHT
I agree. Very well put VT.
You said it perfectly. Thanks for clarification; at least I agree.

Old 02-15-2011, 04:50 PM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a freind who is a waiter and I found out waiters get discounts at other restaurants. I was happy for him and never even questioned why. I also found out my wife who works at a hospital gets a discount on auto insurance and phone service because of where she works and if she wanted to buy a subaru she would get a discount because of her profession, how cool is that.. really cool.

Old 02-15-2011, 05:54 PM
humboldtsgt
Cruiser

I also agree, I sent out inquiries to different dealers to gauge what pricing to expect having read these forum threads and seeing the different prices +/- MSRP. My requests never mentioned a discount and I really never expected to receive one, I am buying the bike either way but did not want to be taken for more than what is reasonable. I chose the POSE over the rest for the nightwatch blue color, had HD offered this as a standard color I would not have gone the special edition route.

Does seem odd that HD leaves the pricing up to the dealer on the special edition bikes ("see dealer for pricing") and my dealer simply said that he has more room to move around with these bikes. Now I am not a salesman or involved in fleet sales so the effect on the dealers annual allotment may or may not have something to do with this. Bottom line is after 25 years as an LEO, I have not accepted gratuities and do not plan to start now, I will however take that saved cash and throw it back at the dealer on upgrades/accessories.

Old 02-15-2011, 05:58 PM
JefFLH
Road Captain
Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Someone shoot me a PM when they start giving CNC Machinist discounts.
Thanks,
Jeff

Old 02-15-2011, 07:18 PM
JakeInMa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well said, thank you.

From someone who has been in law enforcement for the past 20 years, I am appalled that anyone thinks that they are entitled to something others may not be due to their job. And the statement made by the OP about those who are negative to place a sign in front of their houses so his "brothers" can thank us, readily implies that they should stand by and watch our houses burn should they catch fire. WTF?! Talk about an entitlement attitude. Not exactly the comment to be made when you're trying to win the hearts of the "negative".

Last edited by JakeInMa; 02-15-2011 at 07:20 PM.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:26 PM
rdam
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by MotorMedic
Oh so true. Though I respect the two professions and work closely with both daily, after 32 years as a medic, I've learned that nobody gives a crap about EMS till you need us.
As an FTO, I always taught the new guys to do anything possible to assist EMS/FF since they would be the one saving your a$$ after you get shot. Same went for Emergency room docs and nurses.

Can't imagine its much different where you are.

Quick Reply: Fire Fighters Discount ?