Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

UPDATE: Engine Cooling Test Data

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2020, 07:55 PM
Mark Del
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Copy of test plz

Originally Posted by 2black1s
This thread documents the results of some recently concluded testing to validate the performance of the Oil Cooler Fans added to the factory oil cooler on a 2011 103 C.I. Touring bike, and completes the reporting of the test data generated over the past few weeks relative to the Engine Cooling (parade) fan and the Oil Cooler fans.

Again, all of this testing was performed to simulate ‘congested’ traffic conditions where very low speeds and/or prolonged idling may be encountered.

The performance of the Engine Cooling Fan was previously documented here… (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...test-data.html)

And the installations are shown here... (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...e-cooling.html).

Oil Cooler Fan Test Process:

1)Ride motorcycle to attain normal operating temperature.
2)Connect motorcycle to engine temperature monitoring equipment. Temperature is read through the motorcycle’s Electronic Control Module (ECM).
3)Connect motorcycle to oil temperature monitoring equipment. If oil temp is >195° F, allow to cool to 195° F prior to proceeding to step 4.
4)With motorcycle in neutral, run at idle (1,000 rpm) with all fans OFF. Turn parade fan ON when engine temp reaches 200° F.
5)Record oil and engine temperatures.
6)When oil temperature reaches 200° F record oil and engine temperatures and start time count. This is time zero (T+0).
7)Monitor and record oil and engine temperature vs. time.
8)Shut down motorcycle and allow cooling as specified in step 3.
9)Repeat steps 4–7 except turn oil cooler fans ON.
10)Once the timed data is generated to correlate with the first cycle of step 7 data continue with step 11.
11)Continue to monitor and record oil and engine temperature vs. time data while periodically switching oil cooler fans ON then OFF.
12)Shut down motorcycle.

Test Results: See attached charts (The raw data is too extensive to post here)

The data shows an 8° F delta in the oil temperature between fans ON and fans OFF at the 24 minute mark of the test. In minutes 25-92 of the test the data shows stabilization, and even a slight decrease, in oil temperatures with the fans ON, and an increase in oil temperature with the fans OFF.

Whether these modest improvements in the control of the oil temperature are worth the effort – you can decide. But it is clear that the fans do provide some level of control.

On a personal note – after all I’ve learned during the testing performed, if I had to pick between one or the other, the engine cooling fan or the oil cooler fans, the engine cooling fan would be my first choice. I just think the engine cooling fan provides more bang-for-the-buck, so-to-speak.

And finally, I've written a 21-page white paper documenting all of the testing performed. Too large to post here, but if anyone is interested pm me with an email address and I can send it to you.
My e mail if you would send me a copy of the test. And thank you for taking the time helping other out. 👍. Delmark309@gmail.com