Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

UPDATE: Engine Cooling Test Data

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 04:19 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 108 Posts
Default UPDATE: Engine Cooling Test Data

This thread documents the results of some recently concluded testing to validate the performance of the Oil Cooler Fans added to the factory oil cooler on a 2011 103 C.I. Touring bike, and completes the reporting of the test data generated over the past few weeks relative to the Engine Cooling (parade) fan and the Oil Cooler fans.

Again, all of this testing was performed to simulate ‘congested’ traffic conditions where very low speeds and/or prolonged idling may be encountered.

The performance of the Engine Cooling Fan was previously documented here… (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/604119-engine-cooling-test-data.html)

And the installations are shown here... (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/603524-engine-cooling.html).

Oil Cooler Fan Test Process:

1)Ride motorcycle to attain normal operating temperature.
2)Connect motorcycle to engine temperature monitoring equipment. Temperature is read through the motorcycle’s Electronic Control Module (ECM).
3)Connect motorcycle to oil temperature monitoring equipment. If oil temp is >195° F, allow to cool to 195° F prior to proceeding to step 4.
4)With motorcycle in neutral, run at idle (1,000 rpm) with all fans OFF. Turn parade fan ON when engine temp reaches 200° F.
5)Record oil and engine temperatures.
6)When oil temperature reaches 200° F record oil and engine temperatures and start time count. This is time zero (T+0).
7)Monitor and record oil and engine temperature vs. time.
8)Shut down motorcycle and allow cooling as specified in step 3.
9)Repeat steps 4–7 except turn oil cooler fans ON.
10)Once the timed data is generated to correlate with the first cycle of step 7 data continue with step 11.
11)Continue to monitor and record oil and engine temperature vs. time data while periodically switching oil cooler fans ON then OFF.
12)Shut down motorcycle.

Test Results: See attached charts (The raw data is too extensive to post here)

The data shows an 8° F delta in the oil temperature between fans ON and fans OFF at the 24 minute mark of the test. In minutes 25-92 of the test the data shows stabilization, and even a slight decrease, in oil temperatures with the fans ON, and an increase in oil temperature with the fans OFF.

Whether these modest improvements in the control of the oil temperature are worth the effort – you can decide. But it is clear that the fans do provide some level of control.

On a personal note – after all I’ve learned during the testing performed, if I had to pick between one or the other, the engine cooling fan or the oil cooler fans, the engine cooling fan would be my first choice. I just think the engine cooling fan provides more bang-for-the-buck, so-to-speak.

And finally, I've written a 21-page white paper documenting all of the testing performed. Too large to post here, but if anyone is interested pm me with an email address and I can send it to you.

Attached Thumbnails UPDATE: Engine Cooling Test Data-test-3a-minutes-1-24-addendum-1.jpg   UPDATE: Engine Cooling Test Data-test-3a-minutes-25-92-addendum-1.jpg  

Last edited by 2black1s; 02-26-2011 at 12:23 AM.
The following users liked this post:
PhDr. (07-10-2020)
Old 02-23-2011, 05:24 PM
HemiGlide69
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your hard work.. Very informative.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:11 PM
V2Evo96
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes indeed-- A big thanks to you for your diligence and effort-- oh-- and the time to do it all as well.

Old 02-23-2011, 10:16 PM
mphamrick
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now that is some really good information, THANKS

Old 02-24-2011, 06:25 AM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 476 Likes on 124 Posts

I put the fans on my oil cooler on my last bike, I also ran a oil temperature guage, if I saw temp. getting above 230 I'd flip the fans on and it stabilized it and then slowly reduced it, I was happy

Old 02-24-2011, 07:04 AM
bikehe
Tourer

Thankyou Sir for going to the trouble of putting together this report, really appreciated, and well put together.

Old 09-06-2015, 08:51 AM
Kingsma
Stage III
Default Oil cooler fans restrictive to airflow?

Hello,
did anyone think of or tested the airflow restriction of the oil cooler fans itself?

Old 09-06-2015, 02:38 PM
the warden
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is a 4+ year old thread. Not sure you will get an answer.

Old 09-06-2015, 02:53 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by Kingsma
Hello,
did anyone think of or tested the airflow restriction of the oil cooler fans itself?
This aspect has been discussed in other threads.

consensus on the HDForums is the Wards fans work well.
they mount on the horn bracket and direct an airstream directly at the heads.

(I don;t use them myself)

You may be interested in reading up on them- this is a related thread to the study above:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...tem-again.html

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 09-06-2015 at 02:59 PM.
Old 09-06-2015, 09:31 PM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Kingsma
Hello,
====================

I realize this poster brought this old thread out of mothballs but i wanted to respond to his question anyway because i want to keep getting the rod out on just how well the Wards cooling fans and ultracool oil cooler with duel elec cooling fans did in reducing oil temp 50+ deg on hot days on my bike inc the mult benefits i got from doing that too.

FYI,the benefit having an oil cooler with hi efficiency dual cooling fans like untra cools oil cooler has far out weighs any reduction in airflow thru cooler when in traffic or slow speeds where dual cooling fans kick in .

I have the ultracool oil cooler with dual elec cooling fans on my basically stock 09 w-96" motor and the cooling fans kick on at approx 210deg f and cycle off at approx 190 deg.

How long the fans stay on depends on outside air temp but generally get oil temp back down to 190 deg f in 5-8 mins or so.

But when riding in 90-95+ deg outside temp for approx 1.5 hrs the fans stay on longer like 10-12 mins before getting oil temp back down to 190 deg and cycling off until oil temp rises again to 210 turing the cooling fans on again.

I have the ultracool oil cooler with dual elec fans along with wards elec cooling which collectively together reduced oil temp 50+ deg on hot days.

I dont have a tuner so dont have engine temp readings but i have an HD oil temp gauge in faring and with the wards cooling fans off on a hot days the oil cooler reduces oil approx temp 40+ deg so on my bike its looks as though wards cooling fans are worth approx 10 deg F of additional cooling for oil which is a good addition.

I feel placement of the wards cooling fans are such that their cooling is much more directed to reduce actual engine temp in heads and upper cyl's moreso then reducing oil temp though it seems they were worth an additional 10+ deg of reduction of oil temp in my bike which was very good.

So with total oil temp reduction with oil cooler with dual elec cooling fans & wards cooling being 50+ deg that resulted in:

* MOTOR STOPPED DETONATION ON HD'S REC 91 FUEL WHICH ALSO SAVED MONEY BECAUSE I DONT HAVE TO RUN 93 FUEL ANYMORE.

* HOT OIL PRESSURE WITHOUT BOTH COOLING MODS WAS APPROX 8-10PSI @ IDLE & 32-35 AT CRUISE. NOW WITH BOTH COOLING MODS INSTALLED AND OPERATIONAL THEY COLLECTIVELY REDUCED OIL TEMP 50+ DEG SO HOT OIL PRESSURE IS NOW 16-17PSI @ IDLE & 45-48PSI AT CRUISE USING SAME MFG & GRADE OIL PRE/POST ADDING COOLING MODS.

* VALVE TRAIN NOW STAYS QUIET .

* MOTOR RETAINS MORE PWR/TRQ & CRISPER THROTTLE RESPONSE.

* MOTOR HOT STATS FASTER / BETTER LIKE POST FUELING UP WHICH IS EASIER ON STARTER & BATTERY.

* THERE SEEMS TO BE A BIT LESS HEAT COMING FROM MOTOR TO RIDERS TOO.

Need i say anymore to get the word hvy dty out the those 2 cooling mods working together as a cooling team on my HD kick butt reducing oil temp 50+ deg giving me and my bikes motor mult benefits you could see,hear & feel right off the bat .

Happy motoring!

Scott

Last edited by wscott; 09-06-2015 at 09:35 PM.

Quick Reply: UPDATE: Engine Cooling Test Data