Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Cooling

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 10:41 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 108 Posts
Default Engine Cooling

My latest project, just finished today, is an attempt to provide maximum cooling for my 2011 Limited 103 next summer, especially when sitting in traffic. I’ve already done the exhaust and tuning so this goes a little beyond those norms.

First I installed a couple of computer fans to my oil cooler. (EDIT 2-17-2011, Installed a third fan to backside of the oil cooler for a total of 3 fans). Now computer fans aren’t really designed for an environment as harsh as a Harley so I did some modifications (epoxied all of the motor windings and wiring) to hopefully improve their reliability before installing. Time will tell.

Next I installed a Lenale Engineering Cooling fan for the cylinders and heads. This fan mounts to the stock horn bracket and then the horn has to be relocated (or chucked).

I wired both the oil cooler and engine fans to the plug under the seat controlled by the accessory switch in the fairing. Now whenever I’m sitting in traffic I’ll simply hit the switch.

Finally, I relocated the horn. The fan kit from Lenale includes hardware to relocate the horn to one of the frame front downtubes but in my opinion it really looks quite out-of-place there, so I did my own custom relocation right below the left side cover between the primary case and the exhaust. This was the most labor intensive part of the job. It took me all day to make the bracket, but I’m pretty happy with the way it came out.

I don’t know quantifiably how much improvement these mods will make yet, but I’m going to do some testing in the near future to find out. In the meantime - they sure can’t hurt any.

EDIT: Added 01-28-2011. Here's the results of some testing I did yesterday for the LeNale Engine Cooling fan... https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...test-data.html

EDIT: 2-23-2011. And here's the results of the oil cooler fan test... https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...test-data.html

Attached Thumbnails Engine Cooling-engine-cooling-030.jpg   Engine Cooling-engine-cooling-033.jpg   Engine Cooling-engine-cooling-032.jpg   Engine Cooling-engine-cooling-036.jpg  

Last edited by 2black1s; 02-23-2011 at 04:36 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:55 PM
Udawg
HDF Community Team
Received 130 Likes on 76 Posts

I have no idea how well they will work but they look GREAT! Good job.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:57 PM
myred55
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm thinking seriously about purchasing the Lenale cooling fan. Lenale offers the fan on ebay for $229.00 and includes the horn relocation kit. Any idea how well the fan works?

Old 01-25-2011, 11:09 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by myred55
I'm thinking seriously about purchasing the Lenale cooling fan. Lenale offers the fan on ebay for $229.00 and includes the horn relocation kit. Any idea how well the fan works?
As far as engine temps go, like I said, I don't have any quantifiable data yet. But I can tell you that it blows a lot of air. I was surprised when I turned it on. It is a little noisy though. Not mechanically, but rather a whooshing sound of the air moving.

If you decide to go ahead, check out Eastern Performance Cycles. Got mine from them for $216.95 w/free shipping and the horn relocation kit included even though I didn't use it. Even with the standard free shipping I got mine in 4 days.

Old 01-25-2011, 11:12 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

Great job. I saved a number of fans from some old AT power supplies and intended to try the same thing. I only have one of the chrome grills at this point.

I didn't think about the cooling fan location where the horn is. That is a great idea. I will use the fan with the grill there and come up with something else for the front mounted ones. There was a vendor that advertised the two fan set up for the front oil cooler and said that they weren't computer fans but they sure looked like it. I think with the epoxy they will work well for you.

Thanks for posting.

Old 01-25-2011, 11:36 PM
mfuchs2004
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Which way does it blow? Pulling air thru or pushing it?

Seems like that hot air is going to hit right where my legs are either way. I like the looks.

Old 01-25-2011, 11:46 PM
ronbeejer
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

Huh...?

Old 01-25-2011, 11:48 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by mfuchs2004
Which way does it blow? Pulling air thru or pushing it?

Seems like that hot air is going to hit right where my legs are either way. I like the looks.
It pushes the air - left to right.

Old 01-26-2011, 01:52 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Originally Posted by 2black1s
My latest project, just finished today, is an attempt to provide maximum cooling for my 2011 Limited 103 next summer, especially when sitting in traffic. I’ve already done the exhaust and tuning so this goes a little beyond those norms.

First I installed a couple of computer fans to my oil cooler. Now computer fans aren’t really designed for an environment as harsh as a Harley so I did some modifications (epoxied all of the motor windings and wiring) to hopefully improve their reliability before installing. Time will tell.

Next I installed a Lenale Engineering Cooling fan for the cylinders and heads. This fan mounts to the stock horn bracket and then the horn has to be relocated (or chucked).

I wired both the oil cooler and engine fans to the plug under the seat controlled by the accessory switch in the fairing. Now whenever I’m sitting in traffic I’ll simply hit the switch.

Finally, I relocated the horn. The fan kit from Lenale includes hardware to relocate the horn to one of the frame front downtubes but in my opinion it really looks quite out-of-place there, so I did my own custom relocation right below the left side cover between the primary case and the exhaust. This was the most labor intensive part of the job. It took me all day to make the bracket, but I’m pretty happy with the way it came out.

I don’t know quantifiably how much improvement these mods will make yet, but I’m going to do some testing in the near future to find out. In the meantime - they sure can’t hurt any.
Nice clean work. Will be interesting to see how they hold up, and what kind of cooling it provides.

Another thing you can do, and it improves the lines of the bike some, get a 1.5" or 2" tank lift to get more air flowing over the engine. Makes it easier to clean to!

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 01-26-2011, 06:41 AM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Nice work. Make sure to FULLY compress your forks with a ratchet strap or something to verify fender clearance. It’s a major bring down when you hit that first big bump and the cooler contacts the fender. I thought I verified clearance, with two people bouncing on the front end, but big road inputs compressed my forks more. If you really want maximum cooling, scrap the black cooler cover, and connect to an adjustable thermostatic switch instead of manual. I guarantee better results.

Quick Reply: Engine Cooling