Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crack in new Tour Pak.... UPDATE!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 06:38 PM
Mikekoz13
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Crack in new Tour Pak.... UPDATE!

You can see my original thread here:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...-tour-pak.html

And here's my update:

I went back and forth with the dealer and was finally told to call HD in Milwaukee..... So I did. And the rep there told me "Sorry, not covered". I tried to reason with him with no luck.

So I gave the dealer a final call and was told the factory rep said the samething.... Not going to happen. So I reminded the service manager that he told me they get so much cash every year from the MOCO to fix these types of things. I got a song and dance about "Well we don't have that money yet, and I'll have to talk to the general manager, blah, blah, blah.
Pretty pissed at this point.

So one Sunday afternoon in late January around 4PM I was in the driveway shoveling snow and the wife comes out with the phone and says it's HD on the phone.
Well it was an independent survey company taking a customer satisfaction survey. I told the guy the whole story and how ALL my answers would be different if the issue was taken care of. One of the last questions was "Would you buy another motorcycle from this dealership?"... to which I calmly answered "No". I also told the guy that all my riding buddies would be keeping their wallets in their pockets when this dealer was involved.
I actually laughed when I hung up the phone thinking what a waste of time.

Three days later on Wednesday I got a call from my dealer at lunch time. He had recieved the survey results and wantedd to know why I said I wouldn't buy there again. I told him to look at my file.
He asked me a couple of questions.... and in aboout five minutes said, "I'm going to get this fixed for you but it will take me a couple of weeks to get everything in place so please be patient.
Two weeks later I got a call saying the TP was being ordered that day and I would be called when it came in. It would be replaced at no cost to me.

Today was that day.... replaced!

So I give my dealer props. I still feel like I shouldn't have had to deal with all the crap but a little perseverance and patience paid off.
One note: I know the factory would not cover this so the dealer covered it out of their kitty... again... props to them.

I said I would name the dealwer when it was all done..... good or bad. So, that dealer is:

Battlefield Harley Davidson in Gettysburg, Pa.

They get props from me... especially Brad P., the warranty guy. He settled this quickly for me once it got to him. He even walked up to me the next time I was at the dealer and introduced himself. Nice guy.

Last edited by Mikekoz13; 03-04-2011 at 06:40 PM.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:41 PM
FloridaFLHX
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Good deal. Glad you were persistent. Glad it finally worked out. Sometimes customer service really does mean something.

Old 03-04-2011, 06:56 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 108 Posts

Glad you got it worked out.

But I'm not sure the dealer deserves props for taking care of it. Seems that until they got the survey feedback they were telling you no way. It's good that they came around but that's probably what they should have done right off the bat assuming it truly was a defect issue and not caused from abuse.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:05 PM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Glad you finally got the issue resolved, too bad it had to be this long. Maybe someday real costumer service and common since will return.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:22 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,880 Likes on 18,605 Posts

Glad you got it fixed ...... but ..... they really shouldn't have put you through that B.S.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:23 PM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The bottom line is you got it fixed I understand, but you should have had to go through that to start with.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:26 PM
shagnasty
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Fixing the issue after a survey would not impress me. If not for the survey you would still be pissed and riding around with a cracked tour pack. I'm not impressed with how they finally decided to fix the problem. I give them no props myself....They did it for themselves not for you!

Old 03-04-2011, 07:41 PM
Ozoneman
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are your buddies NOW!

After going through what you went through, I'd find another dealer to deal with. Those surveys are very important to the dealerships. That is the only reason they are being nice to you now. I've been told that the results of the surveys can affect how many bikes they get each year and other stuff. When I bought my last bike, the dealership let me know how important the surveys are and even asked me to rate them the highest at each category.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:18 PM
jberg
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

It's a mixed bag at best.
The gods of good fortune smiled upon you but not because of the generosity of the dealership. At least not to start with.
What this really proves to me is the power of perseverence, the strength of a smart consumer who knows what to say without getting nasty, and a company who knows when it's right to do the right thing.
The fact that the dealer reps came up to you and faced you shows their understanding of what took place. One bad dealer story can undo 100 good ones. Glad you got what was coming to you. Good work.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:22 PM
Mikekoz13
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree guys.... they did need to do this for themselves but the bottom line is that I got it fixed.

I still think the service manager and the MOCO itself kind of **** on me but at least one guy stood up and took care of the problem with no arm bending from me.

Don't get me wrong..... I'm not happy that I had to deal with all the crap.... I'm happy it's fixed.

Quick Reply: Crack in new Tour Pak.... UPDATE!