Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Streetglide Aux Lighting Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 04:30 PM
mikebaby
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Streetglide Aux Lighting Question

I purchased P/N 69818-06 (H-D Custom Auxiliary Lighting Bracket Kit) for my Streetglide. I have the lights bolted firm enough to aim, but firm enough to not be moved. I cannot get an open ended wrench in to tighten the nut any further, and cannot get a socket on the nut because of the electrical wire that runs out the hollow post, over the nut and into the bracket.

Does anyone who has added this have any advice on what they did to tighten down the lights?

Thanks,
mikebaby

Old 03-15-2011, 04:45 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,864 Likes on 18,598 Posts

Originally Posted by mikebaby
I purchased P/N 69818-06 (H-D Custom Auxiliary Lighting Bracket Kit) for my Streetglide. I have the lights bolted firm enough to aim, but firm enough to not be moved. I cannot get an open ended wrench in to tighten the nut any further, and cannot get a socket on the nut because of the electrical wire that runs out the hollow post, over the nut and into the bracket.

Does anyone who has added this have any advice on what they did to tighten down the lights?

Thanks,
mikebaby
Hey Mike, do a search on this through the Forum. I ran across a fix for this somewhere in here. However, you could take a socket and cut a notch in the sidewall of the scoket to feed the wire through so you could get the socket on the nut without damaging the wire ... just a thought!

Old 03-15-2011, 06:35 PM
DuraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 118 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
Hey Mike, do a search on this through the Forum. I ran across a fix for this somewhere in here. However, you could take a socket and cut a notch in the sidewall of the scoket to feed the wire through so you could get the socket on the nut without damaging the wire ... just a thought!
Thats what I did. Just turn it a little bit and reposition the socket. You'll probably have em loose again to aim them after you ride some anyway.

Old 03-15-2011, 06:36 PM
mikebaby
Road Master

Looks like I need to either buy a $40 socket, or take a dremmel and cut a slot in a 9/16 socket (which I did) Unfortunatelly it cut the ****ing grey wire into two.

mikebaby

Old 03-15-2011, 06:55 PM
Da Butcher
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$40!!! Where are you buying "one" socket for that price, Snap-on or Mac?

Nah, just go to Sears and pick one up. I did and cut the slot into it with my Dremel and it looks like it professionally machined. When you cut the slot, make sure to de-bur the surfaces so you don't slice into the wire. I used that thin red abrasive disc (the one that snaps like a damn potato chip!), leaves a nice edge.

Easy fix, man, go for it!

Old 03-15-2011, 07:04 PM
Mntsnow
Road Master

I stopped in a pawn shop and picked up a 9/16th deep socket for a single buck and cut a good notch in it and works like a champ...