Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Bike Day - 2011 Street Glide!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 09:07 AM
SgtThump
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts
Default New Bike Day - 2011 Street Glide!

I picked up a new 2011 Street Glide last night!!! I had a '04 Road King Custom for the last few years, but sold it last year to help finance a divorce.

Around 5-6 months ago, I picked up a new Sporster Forty-Eight. I LOVED the Forty-Eight, but the limitations got to me pretty quickly. (getting gas all the time, can't ride 2up, not made for weekend trips, had to wear a backpack, etc...)

Summer's almost here and the idea of taking weekend trips with a significant other made me realize the Forty-Eight wasn't going to work out. My Sportster qualified for the "buy back" program through the dealer (not through HD), so I took advantage of it last night.

Traded the Forty-Eight in and picked up this bad boy! This is my dream bike, so I'm super excited!!!!

The only "options" I got were cruise control, a detach passengers backrest, and new grips. The last two aren't installed yet, but the bike already had cruise control on it (dealer ordered it that way.)

I heard HD changed the touring frames twice since my '04 RK Custom and I gotta say, this Street Glide definitely rides better! I thought that RK Custom was the most comfortable bike ever, but this new SG may have it beat!

Also, I'm a bit surprised at how "okay" the stock exhaust sounds? It seems a little louder than what I've heard in the past and with a much nicer tone. Hmmm... Am I imagining things or did they make these a tiny bit louder and better sounding?

I'll probably add some slipons and a luggage rack, but that may be it for a bit. Not sure I'll do the full stage 1 upgrade soon.

Anyway, yay for me!

Old 03-16-2011, 09:09 AM
olddude48
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice! Enjoy the ride and be safe!

Old 03-16-2011, 09:17 AM
SCJE8
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats on the new Street Glide! A big change from the 48!

Ride safe!

Steve

Old 03-16-2011, 09:34 AM
The Guardian
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Veddy Nice.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:17 AM
Johan96
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Congrats! Enjoy the ride :-)

Old 03-16-2011, 10:26 AM
phat96
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats, that looks great.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:46 AM
rhj
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great looking bike. I'll tell you from experience if you want your significant other to be happy you better be looking at a new seat. The passenger area of the stock seat is bad. You can always put the stock seat back on for show but you won't go too far 2 up.
Enjoy the SG they are sweet. I have a 2010 with a Mustang seat. Much more comfortable.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:47 AM
SgtThump
Road Warrior

I rode the Sportster to the dealer yesterday afternoon and the temp was in the low '40s. It was totally doable, but I froze my *** off a little.

Then I rode the Street Glide back and was surprised at just how much of a difference that fairing makes. Don't get me wrong, I knew a windshield changes everything, since I had that Road King and all. But it was cool to feel the difference on a cold day back-to-back.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:49 AM
SgtThump
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by rhj
Great looking bike. I'll tell you from experience if you want your significant other to be happy you better be looking at a new seat. The passenger area of the stock seat is bad. You can always put the stock seat back on for show but you won't go too far 2 up.
Enjoy the SG they are sweet. I have a 2010 with a Mustang seat. Much more comfortable.
Thanks! She's totally new to bikes and doesn't know the difference, so I'll see how long I can keep her happy with the stock seat. HA HA... I could also get her an over-the-seat gel pad.

To be honest, I'd rather have a solo seat for when I'm alone and a nicer 2up seat for when she's with me. But money just got a little tighter after I depleted my savings for a big down payment on this bike.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:57 AM
Shakeydeal
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the new bike, you will love it. Too bad you couldn't keep the 48 too, that thing is so cool......

Shakey

Quick Reply: New Bike Day - 2011 Street Glide!