Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultra brake question

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 10:06 AM
fzggm4
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Ultra brake question

My 2008 FLHTCU has 3,300 miles on it (I just got it, don't blame me for the low miles). The rear brakes are squeeking when applied. I read somewhere where you should expect to change touring bike pads at
2-3000 miles? Is that a correct statement? If so I will go ahead and change the pads. Any recommended type (ceramic, organic,etc.)? It sounds like a pretty easy process.
Thanks!

Old 03-21-2011, 10:41 AM
Wassup8687
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My squealed until I believe about 5k miles. It's quiet now.

No need to change the pads until they are worn down.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:47 AM
jberg
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

I've learned the Ride Lika a Pro method of low speed riding which is a bit hard on rear brakes. One possible explanation if brakes are worn.
In your case you could easily see the thickness of the rear brake material to determine if they need replacing.
Pretty simple to replace if needed or assume the squeeking will pass if there's still pad left.
With such low mileage there's probably a bit of iron oxided dust that will pass quickly once you start really riding it like you're supposed to.
Great job finding a bike with such low miles on it.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:54 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 48,194 Likes on 18,712 Posts

Originally Posted by fzggm4
My 2008 FLHTCU has 3,300 miles on it (I just got it, don't blame me for the low miles). The rear brakes are squeeking when applied. I read somewhere where you should expect to change touring bike pads at
2-3000 miles? Is that a correct statement? If so I will go ahead and change the pads. Any recommended type (ceramic, organic,etc.)? It sounds like a pretty easy process.
Thanks!
Whoever is suggesting that you change the pads at 2,000 to 3,000 miles must be in the brake business! Contamination on the pads can lead to brake squeel, however most often squeel is attributable to vibration. The pads moving in the caliper and/or on the bridge ( the part that holds the pads in place ). After more than 40 years in the automotive service business I found that one of the best solutions to eliminate brake pad squeel was the application of a QUALITY lubricant formulated for brakes to all mounting surfaces that the pad comes in contact with ( except for the friction surface, of course ). We used the "Dynatex" brand and it was excellent for this purpose. I would suggest that you steer clear of the " goo and glue" type of products that are available. Of course a thorough inspection of the pads is in order while you are doing this just to be sure. Hope this helps.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:02 AM
fzggm4
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Smile Thanks

Thanks for the tips. I am kind of a fanatic about keeping my bikes 100%.
I purchased it from a local Harley dealer. The day I purchased the bike I also ordered:
-Vance & Hines Twin Slash slip on mufflers
-Vance & Hines Drak chrome air cleaner
- H.D. Power Programmer
Parts should be in this week. Can't wait to see what it sounds/feels like after they are put on. They will install and dyno the bike.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:30 AM
Delta
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine squealed like crazy when I first got my 08 Ultra. There was a service bulletin that addressed this problem. I have not had a problem since. I've got over 20,000 miles on my pads and they are still in good shape.

Service Bulletin M-1228 http://www.box.net/shared/de2m24n9h5

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Delta; 03-21-2011 at 11:41 AM.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:39 PM
Fast Aire
Former Sponsor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 07s like mine & a few 08s I know had an issue with the read pistons hanging out & rubbing more than normal. It was something about a bad o-ring or rough surface on the piston. Mine burned up a rotor in short order.... about 1500 miles & that was after the dealer had looked at it.

Pull the pads & check for uneven wear & definately ask the dealer to do M-1228

Old 03-21-2011, 01:42 PM
IBHarley
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Harley had a fix for the squeal talk to your mechanic I just cleaned the dust and made sure the rotor was not glazed

Old 03-21-2011, 01:59 PM
1Harleyrdr
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 08s just squeel. the dealer tried to fix mine a few times. I changed to LRB pads and it stopped that day.

Old 03-21-2011, 02:03 PM
bmaier
Road Warrior
Received 94 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by fzggm4
Thanks!
I've got over 20k on mine and haven't replaced them yet

Quick Reply: Ultra brake question