Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

88 Engine Upgrade options/opinions

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 09:26 AM
SgtDuckyBoy
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 88 Engine Upgrade options/opinions

please read all before leaving comments/replies, thanks.

I have 01 RKC 88 with Stage 1 and gear driven cams. last year,The bike had a PC3 on it but that came loose, and the belt ate through it and fried the main computer too. (bike was under extended warranty and dealer covered me by saying there was no PC3 on the bike and computer just quit working) the deal is, they replaced it with a programmable computer, not an aftermarket one. they dyno'd it, use the software and serial cable (not USB) that came with it, and dialed me in good! Here's where it gets to my reason for upgrading... I put in new plugs a few months ago, no issue, but since weather is warming up I noticed a slight sluggishness. I decided to look at the plugs again so on looking at rear plug I noticed threads on rear jug were cross threading. I carefully tried to clean up and re-insert plug. It always met resistance. so i finally just decided, get it in there and that will be the last time i move that plug for a while! I have some money now and was giong to upgrade the engine over next winter with my friend. he is on a nice long ride to california with a friend and I dont want to bother him right now on this. I will talk to him when he gets back though. I want to get as many opinions as I can and to keep him honest and to keep your comments honest too!
so do i go with a certain pre-made set of components to upgrade it to a this or that Cubic inch configuration that is proven and tested or do I buy this, and that from different companies and get some extra bang for my buck. with the upgrade, will my existing computer work since it is tunable? or do i still need a power commander or like product? with the extra power will the stock 5 speed tranny hold up? I am not looking to blow away sportsters or crotch rockets, but would like to hold 2 up and keep up with screaming eagle equipped touring bikes (if you want an idea of what i was thinking).
Thanks for your input and please feel free to ask questions and leave comments!

Attached Thumbnails 88 Engine Upgrade options/opinions-james-cruising.jpg  
Old 03-23-2011, 09:42 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,025 Likes on 1,741 Posts

Programmable computer from HD? I would assume that was the Screamin' Eagle Pro Super Tuner? The stock 5 speed will hold up fine. You would have to put in a different spring in the clutch or VPC depending on power/torque. Just bear in mind when upgrading that all parts should compliment each other (i.e. you may have to change cams from what you have when going 95" with heads, etc.)

Old 03-23-2011, 10:02 AM
cuda67bnl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts

What's your budget? And will you be doing the work yourself?

Old 03-23-2011, 10:08 AM
SgtDuckyBoy
Advanced

Yep, heard about the clutch concern, thanks for mentioning! No budget! hehe, well, lets say,, $1500 for parts. My friend will assist/consult as needed, he's got 4 bikes in his garage all are built by him and they run good! I feel comfortable with him as a local knowledge source but I know he doesnt know what array of options might be available, that is why I am here, to see what options might be available. thanks for the comments!

Old 03-23-2011, 10:10 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member

What cams are in the bike now?

Old 03-23-2011, 10:18 AM
SgtDuckyBoy
Advanced

DAWG, that is a mystery, but wouldnt be hard to swap them out while doing this would it? what 'should' i have or 'would you recommend' i have for this project?

Old 03-23-2011, 10:19 AM
cuda67bnl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts

I'd go with a cam change, 98" juggs and pistons, and head work.
Drop Scott from Hillside a PM on here.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:25 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member

Swapping cams out is very easy. You also have the good fortune of having a forged crank and Timken bearing on your 01. The downfall to your year is MM injection instead of Delphi as some tuners find it hard to dial in. When I had my 04 I put in Andrews 26g cams, 95" using SE cast flattops and boring the cylinders locally and headwork by BigBoyz in Maine to get 9.5:1 compression (where the 26G likes it) and used a Cometic .030 headgasket. Bike ran great with that combo and it was not very expensive.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:37 AM
SgtDuckyBoy
Advanced

Thanks Dawg,, that is what i was looking for,,, was told its not many parts, just a lot of disassembling and careful reassambling. so if i got that installed and dialed in right, what kind of result on dyno should i get? i believe I got either 78 or 88 hp on dyno last year with current config. how do i tell if I have that screaming eagle pro super tuner? decals? model number? I remember looking at it briefly after replacement last year and it didnt look 'fancy'. thanks bro, i love simplicity!

Old 03-23-2011, 12:08 PM
Firetender
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't sweat the MM comments above, it's weak spot is a tricky cold idle setting - HD switched to Delphi due to new emissions requirements (not because there was an issue with the EFI system) that mandate closed-loop EFI and throttle-by-wire, which the Magneti-Marelli platform doesn't support. Otherwise NO licenseing so no US sales! Will it support more power, heck yes! I have over 100 HP with 95" barrels and forged pistons. You already have gear drive, so the cam upgrade to match much-needed head work won't hurt your wallet anywhere near as bad. How could your belt damage the PCIII? That's supposed to be under the side cover and far away from the drive belt. I run a tried-and-true setup (10.5:1 compression with manual releases) for your model that delivers 100+ HP without splitting your lower cases, and why would you want to with a forged crank. You'll need a new dyno run to adjust your SERT to optimize your new build.

Last edited by Firetender; 03-23-2011 at 12:11 PM.