Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bypassing clutch start switch??

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2013, 09:37 PM
rare100thHD
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Been there Done that,,,at Customers Request.....Well it does not work correctly,,,,after 3 start cycles the ECM figures out this has been done and Bike will only Start in Neutral....Disconnect the soldered wires,,,,and reconnect after a key on.....the bike will start for 3 more times then back again to having to be in neutral.....Wasted a lot of time on this,,,,bike now has new switch back in it...

Old 10-02-2013, 11:29 PM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

Do it if you want to. I never had a bike with the pull in the clutch to start safety feature and in hyndreds of thousands miles and countless starts never had an issue. How did we even survive or live without this incredible safety feature ??
My 04 Police bike had this "safety feature" and I could not get used to it and disabled it.So far so good.10k miles and many starts with no issues. It is easy to do. I suppose I am an accident waiting to happen though.You better not park by me.

Old 10-03-2013, 03:25 AM
BOSOXFan
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by luisan
So why bother asking the forum if you're going to do it anyway?

He was not asking us our opinion or if we thought it was safe, he was asking how to do it...

Old 10-03-2013, 05:03 AM
WillyD
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a question on the system and safeties...On the metrics I have messed with here is how they work.
On the hot side of start circuit you have the ignition switch. Then the power travels over to the kill switch. If that is in the run position then power moves onto the start button. When start button is pushed it sends power to the ignition relay (mag switch) and that will pull the contacts closed to then send battery power to the starter motor....This is the POWER side.

In order for the starter relay to work there needs to be a ground. The first place it runs looking for a ground is the neutral switch. If the bike is in gear the neutral switch is open and ground will not be completed so the next path is over to the sidestand switch. In line with the side stand switch is the clutch switch. In order to go all the way to the side stand switch, the clutch switch needs to be closed (clutch pulled in) when it gets to the side stand switch, if the side stand is down the switch will be open and no ground....NO START....Now if the side stand is up then ground will be completed and starter will turn. So when you wire the clutch switch to have it show closed all the time then the path to the sidestand switch is direct. If the bike is in neutral then it does not matter where the sidestand is. If the bike IS in gear then ground needs to go to sidestand switch. If kickstand is down then no ground, up and it will start.

This means that if the side stand is up and the bike is in gear that it will start (clutch switch now bypassed). If the bike is in gear and the side is down it won't start. Therefore if you turn the key on with the bike in gear and sidestand down it will not crank and make the bike fall over and it will only do so if the sidestand is up and (most likely) you are sitting on it...

Does Harley do something different?

Sorry for the long post/hijack...It just made me curious...

Old 10-03-2013, 06:49 AM
Duracell
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,655 Likes on 580 Posts

Domestic Harleys don't have a sidestand safety interlock.

Turn the ignition on and hit the start button with a disabled clutch safety interlock and it will attempt to start in gear.

Old 10-03-2013, 07:27 AM
fat daddy
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tdccycles
i have an 07 ultra stripped down to a wannabe street glide. When I installed my ape hangers with new switches and wiring the harness didn't come with a clutch switch. I was told to just connect the 2 wires together and since the bike has been done the key fob alarm light stays on constantly showing a b1154 code which is clutch switch shorted to ground. The bike runs fine but will only start in neutral no matter what and light never goes out. any suggestions on how to fix this code without having to install a clutch switch? The bike is for sale and no one including myself would by it with the light on.
A friend of mine has the same issue only his light doesn't stay on all the time I hope somebody will shed some light on this

Old 10-03-2013, 10:12 AM
WillyD
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Duracell
Domestic Harleys don't have a sidestand safety interlock.

Turn the ignition on and hit the start button with a disabled clutch safety interlock and it will attempt to start in gear.

OK...thanks...I wasn't sure...

Old 10-03-2013, 02:24 PM
fat daddy
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
+ 9,000,000 Skratch
Are you saying you've rode +9,000,000 miles?

Old 10-03-2013, 02:57 PM
FLUltrarider
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheech2010FLHTK
and just hope he never hits the start with the bike in gear once he jumps the clutch switch
You got that right!

Old 10-03-2013, 03:06 PM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by FLUltrarider
You got that right!

Oh, whatever did we do before the advent of this safety feature?..........

Get real boys, we don't need the nanny state to protect us from every little thing.

Quick Reply: bypassing clutch start switch??