Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bypassing clutch start switch??

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 02:40 PM
onebad2
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bypassing clutch start switch??

My buddy just bought a 06 electraglide police bike and wants to by pass the switch ythat makes it so he has to pull clutch to start it?? and thoughts Thanks

Old 04-04-2011, 02:44 PM
slothy
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just solder the 2 wires together that goto the switch - so bike will think clutch lever is in all the time. (at least works on the metrics)

Old 04-04-2011, 04:29 PM
Cheech2010FLHTK
Cruiser

and just hope he never hits the start with the bike in gear once he jumps the clutch switch

Old 04-04-2011, 04:49 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by slothy
just solder the 2 wires together that goto the switch - so bike will think clutch lever is in all the time. (at least works on the metrics)
In case it applies to anyone else reading this thread, don't do this if you are running a bike with cruise control.

Old 04-04-2011, 04:58 PM
18BKLR
Road Master

Originally Posted by davessworks
In case it applies to anyone else reading this thread, don't do this if you are running a bike with cruise control.

Why?

When I put my new controls on mine I just removed the switch. Cruise still works the same. Cancels upon squeeze of the clutch. That's the way it is supposed to work

Old 04-04-2011, 05:03 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 18BKLR
Why?

When I put my new controls on mine I just removed the switch. Cruise still works the same. Cancels upon squeeze of the clutch. That's the way it is supposed to work
Good point - cruise will still work, it just won't cancel the way it's supposed to.

Old 04-04-2011, 05:11 PM
18BKLR
Road Master

Originally Posted by davessworks
Good point - cruise will still work, it just won't cancel the way it's supposed to.

On an 06 you are correct. Mine is an 08 so cruise is done through the compuuter. Sensors do it all. When you pull the clutch the cruise turns off. Changes the speed and load for the motor so shuts her down. Thats the way I understand it.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:07 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 48,026 Likes on 18,656 Posts

Originally Posted by onebad2
My buddy just bought a 06 electraglide police bike and wants to by pass the switch ythat makes it so he has to pull clutch to start it?? and thoughts Thanks
Not a good idea .... one brain fart could lead to him and his machine layin' "sunny side down" in the parkin' lot. The old scooters were this way and many a night we'd see someone pushin' the button before thinkin' .... and before ya knew it .... flop!

Old 04-04-2011, 08:53 PM
onebad2
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
Not a good idea .... one brain fart could lead to him and his machine layin' "sunny side down" in the parkin' lot. The old scooters were this way and many a night we'd see someone pushin' the button before thinkin' .... and before ya knew it .... flop!
He has lots of miles on a few different harleys and none had that setup, He will be safer without it im sure!. thanks for all the info. will fix it up this weekend.,

Old 04-04-2011, 10:28 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,228 Likes on 2,470 Posts

Originally Posted by onebad2
He has lots of miles on a few different harleys and none had that setup, He will be safer without it im sure!. thanks for all the info. will fix it up this weekend.,
how? just because he's never had that setup before doesn't mean he's better off without it. i could understand wanting to bypass it if it were something like the metric kickstand deal. but, with this system, the only time that you would even notice it, is if you were doing something wrong in the first place. you can start your bike in neutral like before, only have to pull the clutch in if you are in gear.....

Quick Reply: bypassing clutch start switch??