Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gonna get a Road King - looking for some friendly advise

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 12:32 PM
TW
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You'll love the King.
I've had several now.

Old 04-05-2011, 02:05 PM
durtyburt
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I luv mine, bought new in '05 never any problems, like the fact u can go with or without windshield.Rode my son's Nightster, felt like a bicycle after having RK these past years.

Old 04-05-2011, 02:25 PM
CEJohnson21
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jamesroadking
Get ABS brakes and cuise control. Both are worth the extra $$
+1 for cruise and ABS.

Old 04-05-2011, 02:32 PM
Climb14er
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by martinrobert
Oh I know one more question - is there any kind of wind issues with the 'windshield' only style vs faring? Do you add anything else to deflect wind? Is there any buffeting or can that be adjusted out?

Thanks again guys - all of this is new and exciting to me!
I rode in horrendous winds last Friday and Saturday... big time winds from all directions. When we got to Estes Park, the white caps were all over the lake(s) and the intense spindrift was coming off of the high peaks. The ride back on 34 east and I-25 south was chocked full of very strong winds.

Bottom line: I was unbelievably impressed at the stability of the RKC and the windshield. Absolutely no negatives from me either regarding the wind or windshield.

Get the RKC with the 103 and security and ABS. This is a terrific combination!

Old 04-05-2011, 02:47 PM
d2jlking
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mines a 2009..definitely get cruise....its so nice on long trips...abs works great...I have a 103 and have been thru a starter already, so if your going that route do some reading on here about the hot starting issues with 103" HD motor. The King is nimble comfortable and great looking, have fun bro

Old 04-05-2011, 03:31 PM
kf_chris
Intermediate

I just picked up my used 06 last week. I didn't ride for a few years and had crotch rockets before...the RK is a absolutely perfect bike. I'm glad I didn't get a heritage or softail custom as I had originally wanted. The wife and I cruise in style and comfort on either the highway or twisties...all last weekend and loved it (and it was her first time as a passenger for more than 5 miles)
Cruise is a must. I'd admit to liking the idea of more power with the 103 and the extra gear but I'm more happy with this bike than any of my previous ones.

Old 04-05-2011, 06:01 PM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I have a '11 RKC ....I have been riding for 40 years and this is the best bike I ever had..hands down...It loves the highway and the back roads....the only issue I have with it and its really a non issue is the windshield ..at highway speed with cross winds it deflects a fair amount distorting the view through it..If it starts to bother me though I just sit up a little taller and look over it..and first gear whines a little..but they all do...buy it, ride it, love it...just like a woman

Old 04-05-2011, 06:13 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

If you're going to have the dealer do most of the up-keep on the bike be fully aware of what they charge for their services. Try to negotiate a deal to get the 1k service for free and fully aware of how much it costs to do the successive service checks.

My bike has 33k on it now and I wouldn't trade it for the world. Good luck and ride safe.

Old 04-05-2011, 06:15 PM
ronny c.
Tourer

You'll have a 2 year unlimited miles warrenty when buying new so any issues won't be an issue

Old 04-05-2011, 06:20 PM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

Get a standard Road King 07 or newer if looking for a used one, or get a new one if you
can swing it.

Quick Reply: Gonna get a Road King - looking for some friendly advise