Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V&H pipes and FuelPack - pop...pop..pop

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 01:39 AM
aymanl
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V&H pipes and FuelPack - pop...pop..pop

Hi fellas,

a rookie looking for advice from the more experienced and knowledgable.

Last week, I had dealer (Bartels in LA) install bigshots true duals, Stage 1 (big sucker), and FuelPack on my 06 Ultra. I like the sound, almost too loud for my taste, but I will see if I can get used to it, may be install quiet baffles.

what's been bugging the heck out of me, it pops like hell, off throttle (decel). I tried searching the forum and it seems like either FuelPack is not setup right (too lean), or there might be a exhaust leak?

my options are:
- check FuelPack myself, first.
- get back to the dealer and have them check it out
- I have been considering a dyno-tune, should I just go for it? and potentially not bother take bike to the dealer and take it somewhere else (based on people's advice)?

my questions to you is what would you do?

also, if you have had good experience with a dyno technician in the LA area, please let me know.

thanks,
ayman

Old 10-24-2006, 01:52 AM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: V&H pipes and FuelPack - pop...pop..pop

Not likely that you are going to find a DYNO shop that can tune your fuelpak.
V&H doesn't like to share their info on how to tune well. I would contact them and see about a refund maybe.... You can get a PCIII for just a hair more than you paid already. Maybe less. they are $269 shipped.

Old 10-24-2006, 03:03 AM
PosseRider
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Double check nuts & bolts for tightness first. At heads & where mufflers attach to headers. Then read your instructions that came with the fuelpack. Find your set-up in the chart & double check the #'s. Make sure that the throttle position setting is set properly. It is a very simple procedure to do. You can set the fuel pack in less than 10 mins . My bet is on loose fittings but they could of not set it right. Good luck.

Old 10-24-2006, 03:06 AM
PosseRider
Road Master
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

You can also call the 800 # & they will tell you which table to use.

Old 10-24-2006, 05:55 AM
dmr
Road Master

i have v&h ovulars and guess i'm the only one that likes that decel, pop, pop, pop

Old 10-24-2006, 08:09 AM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I get a little popping upon decel on my Oval Slip-Ons & FuelPak setup, but it's not loud backfiring. It's more a function of the sound of the pipes as the engine winds down through the gears. I suspect that this is normal and a function of the tone of the pipes rather than fuel metering. I found that I experienced this same popping on decel with my stock pipes, but it was quiet enough that I seldom noticed it. Or is yours actually backfiring with an almost explosive sound?

Old 10-24-2006, 08:54 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,965 Likes on 1,715 Posts

I agree with all of the above. You can't dyno a Fuelpak, check the connections (mine came loose and created popping because the V&H clamps suck so you can change them to the HD torca clamps, check to see that the modes were entered correctly by going onto their site and finding your map, verify modes 20 and 21 (not in the instructions), get rid of it and buy a PCIII in case you want to do anymore mods, clean/change the spark plugs and verify the gap is in the proper range.

Old 10-24-2006, 11:09 AM
swomack
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine had decel pop and the wrench turned #2 up by 2 and it quit. Anyway I checked V&H website and they had new settings. I entered them and it works fine. The instructions included with the Fuelpack were out of date.

Old 10-24-2006, 01:30 PM
aymanl
6th Gear

thanks for all the help guys. with regards to the sound, I am not talking about nice deep pop winding down, more like big bang backfiring pop! :-) and since the pipes are so loud makes it even worse.

last night, I checked the FuelPack setting, and it looks like it wasn't calibrated right based on instructions. I couldn't test ride it because it was too late, but will try it out today. I also checked all the bolts, and all nice and tight.

I haven't consdered the setting numbers might be out of date, I will check the website.

for some reason, I had thought FuelPack could be fine-tuned by a tech just like PCIII. I should've done more careful research. I guess the dealer can't help much if instructions are followed exactly. I will try 800# if continues to give me grief.

will let you all know... thanks again!

Old 10-26-2006, 02:12 AM
aymanl
6th Gear

still popping. I am calling V&H and see what we can do. I doubt I have foul spark plugs.

if I have a hard time fixing it, I might wait couple of months and get PCIII or Sert.

does the popping harm the bike in any way? would you live with this for couple of months?

Quick Reply: V&H pipes and FuelPack - pop...pop..pop