Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

volt meter jumping

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 08:01 PM
redbeard37
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by johnpaul
My 09 ultra is doing the same thing. Has the new meter fixed your problem?
Johnpaul - did that fix the problem? - I have exactly the same thing going on on my 2010 Limited at 23k miles.

Bob

Old 06-26-2012, 08:02 PM
redbeard37
4th Gear
Default What fixed it?

Originally Posted by TheProfessorVMC
OK folks... new voltage guage... seemed to fix the issue... after another 200 miles the guage started bouncing again. Decided, screw it and bought a new battery... this did not fix the problem. The voltage guage is still bouncing after about 20 miles down the road when the engine get good and warm. Back to the drawing board for me. So far, New Voltage regulator, New battery, New voltage guage, all that is left is the stator. Taking this pig into the Harley dealer and have them do a full check on the stator... Something is just not right... I have even replaced all the relays on the fuse box... the bike runs fine... but this is just something that is blowing my mind.
Did you ever get it figured out? I have exactly the same issue on my '10 Limited.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:40 PM
jungleman
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I purchased a 2012 Ultra Classic EG. I had problems with the charging system. It would charge on and off while riding. I took it back to the dealer and they kept it for 8 days waiting to get to it. They replaced the voltage regulator. I still had intermittent problems with
it. I did not want to give it back to the dealer and let is sit for another week so I started to check out everything on the bike. I found two ground wires extremely loose under the seat deep down in the frame. This was the real issue. Maybe others with charging problems have
the same issue, and not the voltage regulator. Now that being said, once it was charging I also had a problem with the volt meter. I had to carry a VOM around with me so when the gauge said that it was not charging I had to check for sure. Sure enough it was charging but the gauge was operating off and on. Two times I had to open the fairing and tweak the nuts on back of the volt gauge. The wires just push on but there is a nut or two there also.
Hope this helps.

Old 08-26-2012, 12:58 PM
redbeard37
4th Gear

Anyone had any luck fixing this? The problem on mine now includes the oil pressure gauge.
I check all the grounds, they looked good, I put in a different battery, no improvement. I took it to the dealer, who looked at it for two weeks then decided it was the VM and the OP gauge. Looked good when I picked it up, 20 miles up the interstate it started again, needles are sometimes going-stop-to-stop at 75 mph.

Old 08-27-2012, 01:12 PM
timvan
Road Warrior

My 09 ultra started doing the same back in march on way back from bike week, only does it on highway after a while. In city stop and go no problem.
Im about to tear it down with a dvm, id put my money on a bad ground as my oil press started acting goofy then my radio too..after resetting the radio it was all normal

Old 08-27-2012, 10:20 PM
redbeard37
4th Gear

Originally Posted by timvan
My 09 ultra started doing the same back in march on way back from bike week, only does it on highway after a while. In city stop and go no problem.
Im about to tear it down with a dvm, id put my money on a bad ground as my oil press started acting goofy then my radio too..after resetting the radio it was all normal
How do you reset the radio?

Old 08-28-2012, 03:53 PM
timvan
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by redbeard37
How do you reset the radio?
google...its a combination of key presses that I dont recall

Old 09-03-2012, 08:54 PM
Fat King
Advanced
Default voltmeter

Originally Posted by redbeard37
Anyone had any luck fixing this? The problem on mine now includes the oil pressure gauge.
I check all the grounds, they looked good, I put in a different battery, no improvement. I took it to the dealer, who looked at it for two weeks then decided it was the VM and the OP gauge. Looked good when I picked it up, 20 miles up the interstate it started again, needles are sometimes going-stop-to-stop at 75 mph.
I had the same problem with my 2011 flhx. Dealer changed the volt guage six times, and the voltage regulator twice. Before we were done the air temp guage,voltmeter,and oil pressure guages were doing the same thing. The good news is I think its finally fixed. I know this is going to sound crazy but it was the front wheel bearings. I started having the guage problems at about 20,000 miles. Its the cheap import bearings harley puts in there bikes. Must have been a vibration issue? Rode 1300 miles this weekend and guages were fine. Check your bearings!!!

Old 09-03-2012, 09:51 PM
lldsilver41
Advanced

regulator replaced today. 3700+ miles 2012 RGU

Old 09-08-2012, 09:25 AM
redbeard37
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Fat King
I had the same problem with my 2011 flhx. Dealer changed the volt guage six times, and the voltage regulator twice. Before we were done the air temp guage,voltmeter,and oil pressure guages were doing the same thing. The good news is I think its finally fixed. I know this is going to sound crazy but it was the front wheel bearings. I started having the guage problems at about 20,000 miles. Its the cheap import bearings harley puts in there bikes. Must have been a vibration issue? Rode 1300 miles this weekend and guages were fine. Check your bearings!!!
Thank you! Got the dealer to check the wheel bearings and indeed one was toast. Should know early next week if it has fixed the issue.

Bob

Quick Reply: volt meter jumping