Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

volt meter jumping

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 12:46 AM
BikerPaul
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this won't matter to you guys who have swapped out batteries, but when my VM started jumping around, the dealer changed the VR and that wasn't it. Turned out my positive battery terminal bolt had loosened up and welded itself into position, which is why it felt tight when I put a wrench on it. They had seen it before...

Old 09-12-2012, 06:40 PM
redbeard37
4th Gear
Smile It's fixed (almost)

Originally Posted by redbeard37
Thank you! Got the dealer to check the wheel bearings and indeed one was toast. Should know early next week if it has fixed the issue.

Bob
YES! YES! New wheel bearings fixed the issue. Not even a twitch on the gauges now. The radio is still having issues (though not as often), which I strongly suspect means the vibes have done some damage.

Last edited by redbeard37; 09-12-2012 at 06:49 PM.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:14 PM
Fat King
Advanced
Default Voltmeter

Originally Posted by redbeard37
YES! YES! New wheel bearings fixed the issue. Not even a twitch on the gauges now. The radio is still having issues (though not as often), which I strongly suspect means the vibes have done some damage.
Redbeard, Glad to hear its fixed. The bad news is our bearings are going out at 20k miles. That is BS. I guess we change bearings when we change tires. Im not happy about this. I have owned four harleys and never had a wheel bearing go bad. Until I bought a new bike.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:54 PM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm amazed the front wheel bearing wasn't very noticeable except it caused gauge malfunctions. You'd thought it would take some dramatic play to make gauges move erroneously.

I was considering a shorting Stator, or malfunctioning Voltage regulator, if it wasn't the common bad battery connection / bad ground issue these bikes are notorious for.

Old 04-09-2016, 12:39 PM
thistlehead
Stage III

Originally Posted by TheProfessorVMC
Update... Tested battery at speed - No issues. Tested Stator connections - No issues. Disconnected Voltmeter gauge and attached my shop voltmeter and went for a ride... No issues with charging... summation is that replacement of voltmeter gauge $84.00. Will replace voltmeter.
I think I found something on my 2009 Street Glide that might be of interest to some. I know everyone checks their connectors, grounds, battery terminals etc. while trouble-shooting this problem. I don't know if I have cured mine yet (voltage climbs during ride and then sometimes jumps to full needle right and the back to around 16 VDC) although the actual voltage is steady at 14.29 VDC while using a multimeter. HERE IS THE FIX (I think): There is a small hole in the side of the gauge and in the hole is a very small adjustment variable potentiometer. I believe that over time the contacts in the potentiometer get dirty / corrode and this causes erratic readings. I used a small screwdriver to rotate back a forth the potentiometer several times as to "clean" the contacts of it. I then adjusted my gauge using the potentiometer to the value that my DVM was reading. I took it for a short test ride without the fairing installed and did not get any erratic readings. I will reinstall the fairing and we will see if I indeed "FIXED!" the problem. I get back and let everyone know if this worked.

EDIT: 100 kms and no re-occurrence (and it would have done so by now)!! FIXED!

Last edited by thistlehead; 04-09-2016 at 10:44 PM. Reason: FIXED!
Old 04-09-2016, 08:56 PM
jdlogan
Intermediate

I had the same problem last year. I found corroded plug where it plugs into the bottom of the regulator.

Old 08-25-2017, 04:09 PM
Deano13flhtk
Novice
Default wheel bearing

I read the thread on here & thought, no way is it the front bearing. 1500 miles later the front bearing on my 2013 Ultra Limited cratered around a corner!! Kept the bike up, all good. I probably wash my bike too much with a pressure washer, and the cheap Chinese bearings don't like it. Change bearings every tire change!! minimal charge at the time, well worth the extra insurance.

Old 08-25-2017, 05:36 PM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 640 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by Deano13flhtk
I read the thread on here & thought, no way is it the front bearing. 1500 miles later the front bearing on my 2013 Ultra Limited cratered around a corner!! Kept the bike up, all good. I probably wash my bike too much with a pressure washer, and the cheap Chinese bearings don't like it. Change bearings every tire change!! minimal charge at the time, well worth the extra insurance.
Now ya know...pressure washers and Harleys...actually, ANY motorcycle...don't mix. If you need to clean oil off, suggest that you use original Gunk, wash with a regular hose with a spray nozzle.

Yeah. I know this is an ancient thread. Just responding to the last poster.