Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much air in rear shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 01:59 AM
Eyespy
Road Warrior
Location: Southern California High Desert, here and there....
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How much air in rear shocks?

ORIGINAL: swomack

ORIGINAL: Eyespy

ORIGINAL: swomack

I keep 25PSI in the rear at all times! Solo, two up, loaded, or unloaded. Just keep some air in them and go ride. All of this up & down is BS! How many adjustments did you do to your non-air shocks?
I am not saying go up an down, just reitering what is described in the OM. On the Harley, I pressurize the shocks in accordance with the OM, and find that it works fine. I keep 0 psi in the forks because I rebuilt my forks to my specifications with heavier fork oil, increased spring pre-load, and Race Tech Gold Valve Emulators.

But to answer your question, my non-air shocks are subject to many adjustments. My 04 race bike has a Penske triple clicker shock, I adjust for ride height, spring pre-load, rebound damping, slow compression damping, and high speed compression damping. My forks on the 00 Race bike are Lindemann Engineering builds, with fork oil, linear rate springs, Lindemann shim stacks, and Titanium Nitride plated fork legs (inverted). The front suspension is adjusted for ride height, spring pre-load, compression damping, and rebound damping. The front and rear suspension settings can be altered based on tire selection (which substantially alter suspension geometry an affect handling/cornering characteristics), track temps, and track condition. This is all non-air suspension, so I make many adjustments to my non-air shocks

But for the Harley, I just keep the air pressure in the rear shocks as recommended in the factory OM. And that's all I was saying
I wasn't talking about you in particlular! There have been several posts on this same issue and it seems a lot of people spend a lot of time messing with these shocks. Your racing bike has a multitude of adjustments and rightly so, but I don't think dialing in a dresser is as important. People should just bump it up till it rides good and doesn't bottom. Most of the shocks for cruisers only have preload adjustment and some have damping, but how many people with that kind of shock fiddle with it all of the time? Maybe I don't worry about the ride enough, then again I'd like to have an old BMW with an Earles fork, just to cruise around on.
I would actually agree with everything you said above. I thought you were addressing me specifically, only because at the bottom right of your previous post, it said it was in reply to me. [8D]

Old 11-02-2006, 06:00 AM
bagr
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How much air in rear shocks?

I run 12 psi solo and 32 psi two up I'm 285 and wife is well I'm not sure but you get my drift.
I'm sure we come close to the GVW...lol
Good luck !!!