Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fluid Change Tools

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 05:18 PM
CoastlineAmps
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fluid Change Tools

Ok I seen a few posts on fluid changing but never really nailed down all the tools and equipment needed. I want to do this myself to save a few bucks. I have done a ton of fluid changes on my cars but the bikes are a little more delicate.....Can I get a list of recommended tools and equipment to do all the fluid changes please.....

Old 06-21-2011, 05:24 PM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you didnt say what bike, so lets assume its an 07 or later. you can do it with the tool kit in the bike. The three drain plugs all take an allen key that is part of the kit. dont forget the primary drain on an 07 or later is on the left side , under the primary acces cover. the primary access cover takes a torx bit that is also in the tool kit. if you have a nut on your oil filter, a socket for that. if you do not have a nut, you will need a small oil filter wrench. becareful and do not wack the crank position sensor.

Old 06-21-2011, 05:26 PM
bberck
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

For just a fluid change you just need a 3/8 allen, 1/4 allen, a 27 torx, and wrench for the oil filter.

This on newer bikes nit sure how far back.

Old 06-21-2011, 05:28 PM
CoastlineAmps
Cruiser

Sorry this is for a 2009 FLHP road king police....What about lifting the bike or keeping it level?

Old 06-21-2011, 05:31 PM
bberck
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by CoastlineAmps
Sorry this is for a 2009 FLHP road king police....What about lifting the bike or keeping it level?
I have a lift but usually change mine on the jiffy stand. I use a low plastic pan I stole from the wife that fits under the bike to drain the fluids in.

Put a small block of wood under the jiffy stand when filling the primary.

Oil level is suppose to be checked on the jiffy stand.

When draining I will sit the bike upright and lean it to the right to help make sure more drains.

Last edited by bberck; 06-21-2011 at 05:34 PM.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:38 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You'll also need a drain pan (an old darkroom tray works great), something to collect and transport the drain oil, a wire brush (for cleaning the plug threads, a torque wrench and the proper bits (for drain plugs and primary cover fasteners. You don't need a lift.

Be advised there's a lot more to a scheduled service than just changing the fluids--see your owners manual.

Old 06-21-2011, 05:50 PM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,221 Likes on 1,385 Posts

The most important tool for you is the factory service manual. It is worth every penny.

Old 06-21-2011, 05:53 PM
patsfan
Road Captain

Originally Posted by bberck
For just a fluid change you just need a 3/8 allen, 1/4 allen, a 27 torx, and wrench for the oil filter.

This on newer bikes nit sure how far back.
+1, also if you dont want to spring for an oil filter wrench, a strap wrench or the ole' screwdriver thru the filter works. Get 3 new O-rings.

Old 06-21-2011, 06:00 PM
CoastlineAmps
Cruiser

So with the bike on a normal left lean from the kickstand, will it drain properly? Or just sit on it until it drains.....One more thing. Do I have to do any tensioning adjustment on the transmission case?

Old 06-21-2011, 07:11 PM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CoastlineAmps
So with the bike on a normal left lean from the kickstand, will it drain properly? Or just sit on it until it drains.....One more thing. Do I have to do any tensioning adjustment on the transmission case?
The primary will drain on the kickstand. The eng and tranny will need to be stood up to drain the last few ounces.

Take a look at the magnetic plugs and check for large chips or flakes which could mean a bearing race or other problem. fuzz is normal...it looks like grease but it's actually metal particles.

Quick Reply: Fluid Change Tools