Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Monster Ovals with Stock Headers -vs- VH Headpipes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 11:09 PM
user 8373900
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

My 2011 FLHTK sounded great with the Python slip-ons and the stock head pipe. V&H dresser duals and the pythons sounded like a 3 yr. old set of Rineharts, WAYYYY too loud, they had a real crack to them. The Monster Rounds are perfect for my taste and won't ruin a 9 hr. day.

Mark

Old 07-11-2011, 07:10 AM
greglal
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I did it, I drilled the block off that directs the flow through the chamber system. In effect this mod changes the MOs from a chambered to a combo chambered/straight-through muffler. I love it! Exactly was I was looking for. I drilled a 1" hole through the plate (could have gone up to a 2 1/4" hole) allowing a portion of the exhaust to flow straight through. It still has the same exact sound and tone only louder. When cruising I can actually hear it, very low deep tone but loud enough to feel it. Not loud like a Rienhart or V&H perf system, just a deep rumble. And when I hit that range above 3K RPMs it has a low tone growl. Couldn't be happier and now it sounds like what I was hoping for when I bought them. I can now add the headpipes and not feel like I'm wasting my $$$.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:23 AM
teqsand
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by HD Texan
My dealership offered to "modify" mine if I thought they were too quiet.
Don;t mention your dealers name, if Big Brother EPA were to hear that the fines are MONSTROUS.......

Old 07-11-2011, 08:31 AM
FLHTCU Owner
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by greglal
Well I did it, I drilled the block off that directs the flow through the chamber system. In effect this mod changes the MOs from a chambered to a combo chambered/straight-through muffler. I love it! Exactly was I was looking for. I drilled a 1" hole through the plate (could have gone up to a 2 1/4" hole) allowing a portion of the exhaust to flow straight through. It still has the same exact sound and tone only louder. When cruising I can actually hear it, very low deep tone but loud enough to feel it. Not loud like a Rienhart or V&H perf system, just a deep rumble. And when I hit that range above 3K RPMs it has a low tone growl. Couldn't be happier and now it sounds like what I was hoping for when I bought them. I can now add the headpipes and not feel like I'm wasting my $$$.
It would be interesting to ride behind you to see if they sound 'brappy' now.

So, if your happy with the sound now, why change the head pipes?

Old 07-11-2011, 09:12 AM
greglal
Cruiser

Originally Posted by FLHTCU Owner
It would be interesting to ride behind you to see if they sound 'brappy' now.

So, if your happy with the sound now, why change the head pipes?
For the Tru-Dual sound, I like the balanced sound. And I really like the look of the Ness Over The Top head pipes. But I didn't want to spend the $ if it was still gonna sound metric.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:20 AM
Akitakoi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Spend your money on a cam. It won't sound "metric" anymore.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:34 AM
greglal
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Akitakoi
Spend your money on a cam. It won't sound "metric" anymore.
294e with 10.5:1 coming soon.

Old 07-11-2011, 09:44 AM
wjl24
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by greglal
I already removed my cat, sound difference was not very noticeable at all. I am glad I asked rather than spend $400 only to have little or no change in sound. Very disappointing. Wish these baffles were replaceable.
Did you have any issues after removing the cat from the stock pipe. I want to do that but have heard conflicting reports. Also, do you have a tuner on it?

Old 07-11-2011, 10:08 AM
greglal
Cruiser

Originally Posted by wjl24
Did you have any issues after removing the cat from the stock pipe. I want to do that but have heard conflicting reports. Also, do you have a tuner on it?
No problems at all, less heat for sure and a very little increase in volume. Just did a 3000 mile ride through VA, NC, TN, SC and GA, no codes, no pops, no heat issues like my 07 Ultra. Even stuck in a 10 mile uphill traffic jam in 100 degree heat.
No tuner yet (not needed with just the exhaust mods), still running stock intake until I can get the Power Vision and RSD intake.