Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who's changed their front Suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 11:18 AM
Terrabella
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 09 Ultra Classic

I replaced my front fork springs with Progressive springs. Big difference. Bike corners better with a decrease in front end dive. Is it worth it...yes, I believe so. Kind of expensive to install but after watching my independent guy do the job it is best left to a professional in my opinion.

Old 07-06-2011, 11:20 AM
captainjack
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ricor intiminators HD lowering kit, great handling nose dive virtually eliminated smoothed out bumps

Old 07-06-2011, 11:27 AM
stupid_rope
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Progressive monotubes 2" under

Old 07-06-2011, 12:27 PM
TexasSG
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Progressive Monotubes, 2" under. Suspension is firm, not harsh. Front end brake dive is gone.... Love 'em!

Old 07-06-2011, 12:53 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,854 Likes on 2,420 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Then Came Bronson
When Howard from Motorcycle Metal comes out with an Ohlins cartridge system for bagger front ends, I'm all over it in a heartbeat.
We're in the same queue! Ohlins already on the back....

Old 07-06-2011, 01:31 PM
jlacasci
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just did my bike. I put the new Progressive 940's on my 05 Ultra and the difference was absolutely amazing. I went from avoiding bumps in the road to not caring if I hit them or not. I was so impressed I ordered the Progressive monotube kit. Had the dealer install them (3.5 hours in labor) told them to lower it 1" according to instructions. The 940's lower the rear an inch. Anyway, the difference in the "feel" of the bike was not nearly as dramatic as the rear. No break dive, a bit stiffer and smoother ride. I guess it handles a bit better too, not as "bouncy".

Old 07-06-2011, 04:51 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,694 Likes on 3,424 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
We're in the same queue! Ohlins already on the back....
So Graham...di dyou specify what weight you wanted them to be set at? Also does it handle all the luggage and 2 up without bottoming out? I really have no complaints about my rear suspension ...maybe because i haven't tried any different...

Old 07-06-2011, 05:05 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,854 Likes on 2,420 Posts

Originally Posted by Notgrownup
So Graham...di dyou specify what weight you wanted them to be set at? Also does it handle all the luggage and 2 up without bottoming out? I really have no complaints about my rear suspension ...maybe because i haven't tried any different...
They were custom built by Howard at Motorcycle Metal. He asks a lot of questions and describes how to set their static sag and they have been utterly sublime! No bottoming out and a great improvement over my previous shocks.

We discovered an unexpected bonus. The summer before I fitted them we went on a 2,500 mile tour (which persuaded me to do 'something'). About two-thirds way through my wife was suffering discomfort on the back, so we modified our route to give her some rest. The following year we went off on a similar tour. Not only was my wife much more comfortable she reckoned we could have carried on instead of going home!

So we are thrilled with our Ohlins. It was studying shocks here on HDF that persuaded me to buy them, rather than any of the other options.

Old 07-06-2011, 06:14 PM
jeffreyjames
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Then Came Bronson
My quick fix was Race Tech springs, with gold emulators in the front (no lowering). Improved ride, improved front brake nose dive, but not what I want for a long term solution.

When Howard from Motorcycle Metal comes out with an Ohlins cartridge system for bagger front ends, I'm all over it in a heartbeat.
I talked to him about it today.. He said it's going to be game changing.. A few months still before it's available for us. In the meantime though, I'm doing a 21" and need something to lower the bike. I want to do something that won't mess up the ride quality though.. Any thoughts on something with a 21"er?

Old 07-06-2011, 06:18 PM
jeffreyjames
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dbell66253
I have the progressive monotubes, 2" under, bike handles way better than stock, truly night and day.
Do you know if these have the option to lower the front by 1"?

Quick Reply: Who's changed their front Suspension?