Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who's changed their front Suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 12:16 AM
jeffreyjames
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Who's changed their front Suspension?

Hey all.. Anone change their front suspension? Just talked to a few shop guys down here, and they said they put progressive suspension in the bike and it changed it for the better.. Night and Day.. Anyone have experience with changing their front suspension? Tell me about it. What did you do, and how does it change the ride quality.. Pro's and con's.

Old 07-06-2011, 12:42 AM
Then Came Bronson
Grand HDF Member

Received 2,002 Likes on 760 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffreyjames
Hey all.. Anone change their front suspension? Just talked to a few shop guys down here, and they said they put progressive suspension in the bike and it changed it for the better.. Night and Day.. Anyone have experience with changing their front suspension? Tell me about it. What did you do, and how does it change the ride quality.. Pro's and con's.
My quick fix was Race Tech springs, with gold emulators in the front (no lowering). Improved ride, improved front brake nose dive, but not what I want for a long term solution.

When Howard from Motorcycle Metal comes out with an Ohlins cartridge system for bagger front ends, I'm all over it in a heartbeat.

Old 07-06-2011, 01:06 AM
Thickraybans
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I did the Progressive drop in spring kit. I've had the bike apart three times, first time no spacer (2" drop according to the instructions) the bike went down well over 2" looked like crap, didn't even try to ride it. Second time used a 1/2" spacer bike was at 2" of drop rode very firm one up, way to harsh two up. Third time used a 3/4" spacer bike is at 1.5" of drop. Rides firm both one, and two up. Almost all the nose dive under braking is gone. Handling is much better than stock. I'm running 11.5" Progressive 430's in back (shortest they list for a King), and, IMO, the bike has the right stance with a 3/4"spacer in front & this shock length in back.

After lowering, the bike stood almost straight up on the jiffy stand. I installed a wedge for the jiffy stand bracket so it's less likely to fall toward the high side when parked.

Old 07-06-2011, 06:40 AM
getty30188
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the Traxxion ak-20 cartridges installed on the last two baggers. They made all the difference in the world.

Old 07-06-2011, 06:44 AM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the progressive monotubes, 2" under, bike handles way better than stock, truly night and day.

Old 07-06-2011, 06:52 AM
The Q
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

I have the Progressive Monotubes in my '08 Street Glide and the difference is "Night and Day". I did the standard height Monotubes without any issues right out of the box.

Old 07-06-2011, 06:59 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,505 Likes on 3,334 Posts

Originally Posted by The Q
I have the Progressive Monotubes in my '08 Street Glide and the difference is "Night and Day". I did the standard height Monotubes without any issues right out of the box.
Did you do it yourself? if so how hard of a job was it...any specialty tools or did you just use the Motorcycle metal instal video..

I am thinking of doing these also...i have now changed the oil twice and i know the innerds are getting worn.

Old 07-06-2011, 10:14 AM
karter
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've installed Ricor Intiminator valves in both my bikes , 05 Sportster ,09 RKC and if I ever buy another H.D. bike I'll do the same to it . $320.00 ,intiminators and Amzoil 5wt. fork oil . Took about an hour to do the Sporty and about 3hrs. to do the RKC .
Look thru the suspension posts and read the feedback about the various front suspension products . When the Ricors are installed per Ricors instructions they just work .
I went thru a lot of the other companies products on the Sportster and while they helped ,it was like adding a band aid to a band aid to a band aid .

Old 07-06-2011, 10:26 AM
The Q
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Notgrownup
Did you do it yourself? if so how hard of a job was it...any specialty tools or did you just use the Motorcycle metal instal video..

I am thinking of doing these also...i have now changed the oil twice and i know the innerds are getting worn.
I had my local indy do it. He charged me 3.5 hours labor, I provided the Monotubes.

Old 07-06-2011, 10:59 AM
mongomark
Road Master
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

I went with the RaceTech gold emulators and springs with no drop in ride height. On the rear, Works Steel Trackers at 13"s (stock on a Street Glide is 12") and a bagger brace to tie in the frame to the swingarm. Night and day difference. The bike should come stock this way.

Quick Reply: Who's changed their front Suspension?