Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing Police "Hockey Puck" Bag Latches (PICS!)

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 11:03 AM
Bachus
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What I did.

Momma's riding a Road King Police, she had problems w/her hands gripping I
swapped them out for FBI's handles. She loved the look and the extra leverage

Name:  DSCN0135.jpg
Views: 1753
Size:  62.8 KB

I on the other hand, did not like the turn, turn, turn to get these open. So I went w/the Owens chrome caps on my Police E-G. Dropped them off @ the local trophy shop and had them engraved for a custom touch.

Name:  DSCN0148.jpg
Views: 2635
Size:  60.7 KB

Dan B.
Central Ks.

Old 07-04-2014, 11:38 AM
SeaZund
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

those FBI twisties look pretty sharp; and the hide the rivet holes

Old 07-04-2014, 02:30 PM
robfaulkner
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Police saddlebag....

I have the hockey pucks on my FLHTP. Never had one flip open since I always use the key locks at the back of the bags. Gives security to theft and coming open.
(2) The deluxe hinges look great and are easy to install.
(3) Sorry about the big text - I can't figure out how to make it smaller....

Old 07-14-2014, 12:06 AM
lock1018
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hardglassman
Any one done anything really cool or custom? I was thinking about routing out some 8ball pool ***** and making them the "puck". My latches seem to lock fine but I don't want to spent $50 for the pucks and another 100 for the chrome covers....I was also thinking about using harley gas caps in chrome, seems like you could make the stem shape with a dremel NAND super glue or jb weld them...any pictures of anything custom out there?
I completely shaved off the hockey puck. Fiberglassed and painted over it. I also painted the hinges to match the bag. I saw someone glue a magnet to the underside of the lid. The magnet contacts the catch bracket and holds the lid closed. No latches or buttons. I was wondering if anyone else has done this type of modification and if so how strong of a magnet did you use.

Last edited by lock1018; 07-14-2014 at 12:13 AM.
Old 06-08-2015, 09:23 PM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 415 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by lock1018
I completely shaved off the hockey puck. Fiberglassed and painted over it. I also painted the hinges to match the bag. I saw someone glue a magnet to the underside of the lid. The magnet contacts the catch bracket and holds the lid closed. No latches or buttons. I was wondering if anyone else has done this type of modification and if so how strong of a magnet did you use.
Sounds like a cool idea. Maybe a hidden latch on the inside, like on the newer bikes.

Old 08-31-2015, 01:16 AM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 415 Likes on 251 Posts

That's a cool idea. I wonder if anyone has done this? Pics?

My hockey puck finally broke, so it's time to get some new latches.
What would it take to convert to the standard latch?

Old 08-31-2015, 05:19 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,853 Likes on 2,420 Posts
Wink

It sounds a great idea for a custom application, but hitting a pothole with luggage could jog the lid open when something inside thumps it.

I bought one of the flush button kits which looks great, but also would be fine for a custom application as it isn't water proof, which the stock puck set-up is (so far, having retrofitted Police bags!). I eventually opted for the loud and proud chrome route, courtesy of Owens Options.

Old 08-31-2015, 05:21 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,853 Likes on 2,420 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by Road Star
What would it take to convert to the standard latch?
The lid and body of the Police saddlebags are identical to the 'normal' ones, but are not drilled for the stock hinges and latches. So it could be done, but will be a challenge! Cheaper and simpler to replace your broken parts......

Last edited by grbrown; 08-31-2015 at 05:38 AM.