Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XIED (FL-VIED-10) Not Compatible With New FuelPak LCD 61019

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 10:33 AM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by ocezam
Ultra simplified version:

Closed loop is less than half throttle under 4K rpm (i believe). Closed loop uses the O2 sensors to monitor engine and adjust air fuel mix. This is where you spend most of your time riding, and where Xied's can help you.

Open loop is under heavy throttle or at higher rpm. The O2 sensors are not used by the ECM in open loop. The ECM reverts to it's stored "maps" to adjust Air/fuel, timing etc. Open loop is where Factory downloads and Fuel Pak can help you.

Apparently the OP is saying the newest FuelPak uses maps at every RPM/engine load and by passes the O2 sensors all the time. Under those circumstances the Xied's can't affect the engine.

Thank you very much for the "KISS method" You made it very easy to understand and I very much appreciate your help!

Some days I am soooo sloooooooooow. lol

Old 08-28-2011, 10:45 AM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by SpiderPig
Thank you very much for the "KISS method" You made it very easy to understand and I very much appreciate your help!

Some days I am soooo sloooooooooow. lol
Some of the best and easiest info is available on the Fuel Moto website, www.fuelmotousa.com Jamie explains the HD Fuel Injection system and how different tuners work with it.

The PC V or the new Fuel Pak wont wort with XEIDs because they bypass the O2 Sensors and if you left them connected they would be fighting the device for control in closed loop.

Go with a Power Vision, Sert, TTS and you can keep the sensors intact to have the benefits of the closed loop and still have performance because these tuners make adjustments to both the open and closed loops by reseting all ECM parameters , not tricking the ecm into adding extra fuel or less fuel.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:56 AM
Sporty302
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe Vance & Hines or Nightrider can provide some definitive guidance. You can view the Fuelpak #61019 directions on the V & H website. Nothing is said about disconnecting O2 sensors with this new Fuelpak for 2011 models. Nothing on the Nightrider site indicating any incompatibility using their FL-ViED-10's with the new Fuelpak. Although my bike is running fine with both I'd like to know if the FL-ViED-10's are being defeated by the new Fuelpak!

Old 08-28-2011, 04:28 PM
dnitram
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by Sporty302
Maybe Vance & Hines or Nightrider can provide some definitive guidance. You can view the Fuelpak #61019 directions on the V & H website. Nothing is said about disconnecting O2 sensors with this new Fuelpak for 2011 models. Nothing on the Nightrider site indicating any incompatibility using their FL-ViED-10's with the new Fuelpak. Although my bike is running fine with both I'd like to know if the FL-ViED-10's are being defeated by the new Fuelpak!
I'm like you, it's not mentioned in the instructions. I just emailed both the tech and customer service department asking for clarification. The FL-VIED-10's work fine stand alone, but if both will compete with the attention of the ECM, I'd suspect they'd cancel each other... I'll post their response to my email when I hear back from them.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:36 PM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SpiderPig
Please help me understand "closed loop" and "open loop".
stock bike starts and warms up and voltage comes out of the O2 sensors until the bike warms up and then a changed voltage gets sent from the O2 sensor. As long as the ECM considers the o2 sensor functional it runs in closed loop.

open loop is where the ECM thinks the o2 sensor has failed. In a failed O2 sensor senerio, the ECM will used the last successful O2 sensor transmitted values.

Now, enter passive devices like XIED's. They use a resistor pair to drop the voltage. Once the voltage drops to the point where the ECM thinks the O2 sensor failed, ECM runs open loop.

Now, the last remembered voltage transmission from the O2 sensor was during bike warm up in which he fuel mixture was rich.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:16 PM
dnitram
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Sporty302
Well I did speak with the V&H FuelPak Tech department again today (different tech) and again they confirmed the new FuelPak LCD 61019 does not use the o2 sensors. He said there was some sort of plastic insert that is included with the package that fits between the o2 sensor connectors, isolating them (keeping them from making a connection, but keeps the connectors together - neat fit). I pointed out that the instructions on their website (pdf) didn't mention anything about disconnection the o2 sensors, at which point he looked and said disconnecting the o2 connectors should have been noted in there... said they'd make the correction. I also asked again what would happen IF the o2 sensors weren't disconnected and/or XIED's were still in place. He said that the new LCD controlled BOTH the open loop and closed loop function (unlike the earlier version for earlier than 2011 bikes). I didn't get the definitive answer I was looking for, only that it possibly could create issues and at best with the LCD in place the information from the sensors would be ignored. That's about it. When my FuelPak LCD is delivered, my FL-VIED-10's are coming off and I'm going to follow the instructions that have now been confirmed twice.