Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let the teardown begin (cam swap)

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 05:05 PM
cruzmisl
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Let the teardown begin (cam swap)

Well after months of thinking about the whole cam swap project I finally got off my *** and decided to do it. The labor was holding me back because its expensive and I don't trust people. With all the posts on here and the fact I only needed to buy a few tools (to replace the bearings) I think I'll be OK. While I'm not a mechanic I'm not an idiot either. I figured the SE compensator swap went off without a hitch so this should be no different.

Cam choice is the worst decision to make. Everyone has their favorite and opinion. There's a dizzying array of choices. Once you decide on a cam you read something that makes you second guess yourself. I believe if you stick with the popular ones there really isn't a wrong choice. I figured if I do the swap myself and I don't like it then I can just take it out.

So I decided on a Cyclerama 575 cam. I saw some reviews and dyno charts and in my gut kept going back to that cam. The other option was a 555. The dyno charts I saw showed the 575 to come on a little sooner than the 555 and had over 100ft.lbs of torque from 2-5K.

I'm also installing a Dragos SCS 2 into 1 header that should add some decent power too. I sent the ECM back to Revolution Performance for the reprogram so we'll see how well the EMS system works with this set up. Andrew doesn't think there will be an issue. I debated about changing the lifters though. Some say you can leave the stockers while others say they already have a wear pattern and should be replaced. I have over 10k miles so for the $150 and extra hour labour I figured I'd replace them (only for piece of mind).

My goal is to get at least 90hp and around 100ft.lbs of torque when I'm all done.

I'll keep everyone updated on my progress.

Wish me luck

Joe

Old 09-07-2011, 05:14 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

I thought that after the initial install of the EMS tuner you would not have to have the EMC flashed again unless you added more cubic inches to the motor??

Old 09-07-2011, 05:15 PM
cruzmisl
Road Master

For a cam change its required-at least that's what they told me.

Old 09-07-2011, 05:24 PM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 476 Likes on 124 Posts

good choice , you'll love the cam and Frank's 2-1 will wake it up also

Old 09-08-2011, 09:50 PM
cruzmisl
Road Master

So far so good! Got the pushrods cut, cams out and bearings replaced. This is EZ (so far). Georges tools worked great and will soon be in the for sale section to recoup some of the dough for the project. Cams, lifters and ECM arrive tomorrow. Saturday morning the 2 into 1 headers arrive and Saturday night I should be smoking the tire

Old 09-09-2011, 07:34 AM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior

take a good look at your oil pump while you have it out. if you see scorn areas on the cam plate, you might want to check your crank run out while you have the plate off.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:43 AM
bagdaddy09
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i might be interested in recycling the bearing tools for you.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:50 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 70,867 Likes on 21,494 Posts

Just had mine changed out yesterday, Feuling 525's, Feuling race lifters, SE Adjustable Pushrods w/the grade 8 machined steel locknuts, Torrington bearings, and a new Auto Tuner that is now dialed in to work with the PC-V and a kick *** map from GAZRNR who has the same cams that I do. By the seat of the pants I'll say WOWOW!!

I'm not real keen on the dyno's as I feel it puts about 5000 miles of wear on your bike in a couple hours, and besides that what I bought the Auto tuner for.

Old 09-09-2011, 09:21 AM
cruzmisl
Road Master

Where do you buy the locknuts? I'll likely pick up a set to have on hand just in case.

Old 09-09-2011, 09:22 AM
07RoadHawg
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lionsm13
I'm not real keen on the dyno's as I feel it puts about 5000 miles of wear on your bike in a couple hours
That's an interesting thought. I'm curious how you came up with that one since dyno tuning is not 30 wide open pulls to the rev limiter and call it a day, nor is it repeated cold/dry starts where most engine wear occurs. It's a simulation of real world riding conditions in a controlled environment for a few hours.

Quick Reply: Let the teardown begin (cam swap)