Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Woods Cams--tw555--and valve noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 09:59 AM
WestTexasRanger
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Sgt_Jim
I'm resurrecting this thread a bit, i just installed the FM 107" with the 555's and directional lifters and adjustable pushrods, and mine are very very loud.. i double-checked the pushrods because maybe I didn't tighten them enough, or overtightened them..but they seem to be where they should..no travel but able to rotate around fairly easily like in the FM videos... any thoughts, ideas?
Finished my FM 107 a few weeks ago with the same components and it is very quiet.

Are you sure that it is valve-train noise?

If so, did you:

Properly lube all contact surfaces with assembly lube?

Re-install the cam chain tensioners? (Don't laugh, I read on the forum that a guy forgot to do this)

Adjust the pushrods when they were on the base-circle of the cam?

Did you initially adjust the pushrods to remove the "free-play", then tighten them 4 turns plus 2 flats?

After tightening the pushrods 4 + 2, did you wait until the pushrods could be turned, before rotating the engine to work on the pushrods for the other cylinder? If not, you could have bent something.

Old 03-10-2013, 10:04 AM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WestTexasRanger
Finished my FM 107 a few weeks ago with the same components and it is very quiet.

Are you sure that it is valve-train noise?

If so, did you:

Properly lube all contact surfaces with assembly lube?

Re-install the cam chain tensioners? (Don't laugh, I read on the forum that a guy forgot to do this)

Adjust the pushrods when they were on the base-circle of the cam?

Did you initially adjust the pushrods to remove the "free-play", then tighten them 4 turns plus 2 flats?

After tightening the pushrods 4 + 2, did you wait until the pushrods could be turned, before rotating the engine to work on the pushrods for the other cylinder? If not, you could have bent something.
Everything was very lubed and slid in to place with ease.. wow, how could someone not notice they were missing a chain tensioner? I finished mine and had no bolts left over..felt good about that. and yeah, I rotated the engine like it was supposed to, then gave it like an hour before i worked on the other cylinder. I may have to just open up the pushrod covers and take a glance at them again..that's my only thought.

Old 03-10-2013, 10:24 AM
Flintshooter54
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

For the original poster, I have basically that same set up. 2-1-2 pipe, Woods 555 cam with adj push rods and directional lifters. Jackpot mufflers and the breather kit all from Fuel Moto. My bike was driving me nuts right at the cursing range. 2500-2800 RPM with valve train noise. I can tell you that this set up in my bike is much quieter that the stock set up. Verry little valve noise now.

Old 03-10-2013, 11:20 AM
Raccerx67
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Jim, did you follow the manual on the oil pump securing procedure, it kinda floats around and has to be secured with a specific procedure as I remember doing mine. You did 4 full turns and 2 flats? Good idea on pulling the tubes and inspect for contact. I have that same build and mine is much quieter than factory stock ever was. I believe the chain tensioner has a spring in it to assist oil pressure tensioning and if it fell out or isn't working properly that could cause noise too. Just some idea to go with the others that have been put out there.

Good luck man sure hate to here your having this problem

Doug

Old 03-10-2013, 11:26 AM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member

I just checked the pushrods and everything, they're all seated right, look good, firm, but rotatable.. I may just have to open up the cam chest and triple check the tensioners, because ive already checked them twice.. But until im 100% sure, im not ruling anything out. I still have this suspicion that it's all in my head though..
Thanks for the replies, guys.

Old 03-10-2013, 11:35 PM
Ben E
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

OP here. Good to see thread revitalized. Since then I made the trip to WI and did the 107 kit and had Jamie tune. Nothing but happy and no noticeable noise. Sgt. Jim, good luck finding the gremlin.

Old 03-11-2013, 01:49 PM
gderkac2
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just checked the pushrods and everything, they're all seated right, look good, firm, but rotatable.. I may just have to open up the cam chest and triple check the tensioners, because ive already checked them twice.. But until im 100% sure, im not ruling anything out. I still have this suspicion that it's all in my head though..
Thanks for the replies, guys.

I installed the Woods 555 last year in a 2007 96inch Ultra and noticed a little more noise than stock.
I was going to use the woods directional lifters but one colapsed on first start and I didn't have time to get the new ones from Fuel Moto. Went with Fueling lifters and I do notice a little more vavle train noise but very happy with the performance. Jamie happily refunded the lifter cost with the returned lifters.

Old 03-11-2013, 02:06 PM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member

yeah im using the woods directional lifters as well.. i've got a sneaking suspicion it's once of the tensioners. the bike only has 5500 miles on it, so im sure it's not 'bad'.. but i dont know, maybe something's wrong. it just sounds like the chain rubbing on something, but i know it's not rubbing against the cam support plate, because i checked for clearances, so maybe because when i was assembling the support plate, the tensioner pad fell out from the housing and is now facing backwards? i dont know. i won't have time to work on it this week i think, but i ordered a new cam cover gasket anyways. just sucks that if i have to pull the cams out, i'm going to have to undo the pushrods..i hated those things and felt they were like the third most annoying thing in the 107 build. but i emailed fuelmoto about it, but haven't heard back yet.

im sure it's not the oil pump, because i never removed it from the support plate, it was properly aligned to the crank shaft, and oil is flowing because the engine is now full of it ..the way ti should be anyways..

and that 57 minute long video that s&s/jpcycles has on changing cams, in my opinion, is more in-depth and better to follow than fuelmoto's was.. plus it's in 1080 hd :-D

Old 03-11-2013, 02:47 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

yeah im using the woods directional lifters as well.. i've got a sneaking suspicion it's once of the tensioners. the bike only has 5500 miles on it, so im sure it's not 'bad'.. but i dont know, maybe something's wrong. it just sounds like the chain rubbing on something, but i know it's not rubbing against the cam support plate, because i checked for clearances, so maybe because when i was assembling the support plate, the tensioner pad fell out from the housing and is now facing backwards? i dont know. i won't have time to work on it this week i think, but i ordered a new cam cover gasket anyways. just sucks that if i have to pull the cams out, i'm going to have to undo the pushrods..i hated those things and felt they were like the third most annoying thing in the 107 build. but i emailed fuelmoto about it, but haven't heard back yet.

im sure it's not the oil pump, because i never removed it from the support plate, it was properly aligned to the crank shaft, and oil is flowing because the engine is now full of it ..the way ti should be anyways..

and that 57 minute long video that s&s/jpcycles has on changing cams, in my opinion, is more in-depth and better to follow than fuelmoto's was.. plus it's in 1080 hd :-D
Order some new push rod covers that give you more access.