Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Running Wires Under the Gas Tank?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 04:08 PM
MareRider
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jpalm
Not a drop if it's an 09 or newer. It's like an air compressor chuck, just depress and remove.
Ummm... on my '03 Ultra I did that & the o-ring came out of the coupler. For my model & year the SM says to pull the fuel pump fuse & run the motor until it dies, getting rid of the pressure in the gas line.

You can then disconnect the gas line without losing an o-ring.

I don't know about the newer models though...

Old 09-12-2011, 05:29 PM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Take the advice from the post that tell you to remove the tank, it's too easy and will save you a lot of headache, not to mention the job will be neat. I have had my tank off several times, I was a little hessitant at first, the 07 I had could be a pain, Harley really improved the procedure for the 09 and later models.

Old 09-12-2011, 05:35 PM
blusmbl
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MareRider
Ummm... on my '03 Ultra I did that & the o-ring came out of the coupler. For my model & year the SM says to pull the fuel pump fuse & run the motor until it dies, getting rid of the pressure in the gas line.

You can then disconnect the gas line without losing an o-ring.

I don't know about the newer models though...
That's how it's supposed to be done on the new ones too. I've tried it twice, if the bike is off for more than a couple hours there won't be any pressure in the line and it's okay to remove without pulling the fuse and cranking it over. Let it sit overnight and it was fine in my case, just don't turn the bike on to prime the system.

Old 09-12-2011, 05:37 PM
stupid_rope
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by blusmbl
That's how it's supposed to be done on the new ones too. I've tried it twice, if the bike is off for more than a couple hours there won't be any pressure in the line and it's okay to remove without pulling the fuse and cranking it over. Let it sit overnight and it was fine in my case, just don't turn the bike on to prime the system.
yep. good luck

Old 09-12-2011, 07:27 PM
vtwin1340
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have had my tank off several times, quick disconnect on feul line works perfectly. I have never had a spray on disconnect, but I always hold a rag over while I disconnect. Do a quality job, lift the tank, run the wires through the wire channel box. It really is simple to do. Anther tip is to use a dab of clear silicone to keep the rubber covers on the tank bolts and bracket after you are done.

Old 09-12-2011, 07:46 PM
reesestewww
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you all for your help. It's been off and back on tonight. I'm going to create a separate post for step-by-step with pics shortly.

Name:  photo-2362.jpg
Views: 1791
Size:  94.1 KB

Old 09-12-2011, 08:11 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by reesestewww
Thank you all for your help. It's been off and back on tonight. I'm going to create a separate post for step-by-step with pics shortly.
Good for you. It seldom takes much longer to do a proper job.

Old 09-12-2011, 08:43 PM
cdestuck
Supporter

Received 211 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by reesestewww

Bring it on Reese. Too lazy to read my service manual. Anxious to see the fuel line unhooked.

Old 09-12-2011, 08:55 PM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Although I have never had mine off and have not consulted the SM I think the quick disconnect couplers began with the '08s not the '09s.

Pictures would be a great !

Old 09-12-2011, 10:36 PM
G20
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by cdestuck
Bring it on Reese. Too lazy to read my service manual. Anxious to see the fuel line unhooked.
A helpful hint is to run as much gas out as you can. The tank is really awkward with 45lbs of gas in it. Cheers!

Quick Reply: Running Wires Under the Gas Tank?