Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King Classic 2000 Options and Guidance

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 02:36 PM
ober37
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road King Classic 2000 Options and Guidance

All -

I am looking into picking up my first Harley and am wanting it to be a good experience (obviously - lol). I am on a pretty tight budget (~$10K) and am looking for something a bit beefy (Fat Boy, Roadking, etc).

One of the local dealers in my area (great place, sold me my current bike) has the following deal on a 2000 Road King, which looks like it's in good shape and within my budget:

http://www.randyscycle.com/new_vehic...70&pov=2320870

I would deeply appreciate hearing any options or thoughts from folks familiar with this bike and year... Any major things I should worry about.

Any feedback / help is deeply appreciated.

thanks!

Old 09-15-2011, 02:57 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

looks nice, if that is what you really like and the price makes sense in your local market.

2000 is second year for the twin cam motor, some concerns about the cam support and drive system ( and some solutions) ask the dealer if this is one of the models with the unlimited transferable warranty on the cam drive ( maybe that was just the 99's, but ask).

the EFI is not considered the best- it's the magnetti marelli system- some guys get good results, other guys switched to carbs.

first year for those brakes, which is good.

the roadking is a "touring" bike, so shares frame, rubbermount/ isolated drivetrain, fork geometry etc with the other touring bikes, difference is fairings and saddlebags.

fat boy is a softail frame. shared with the other softails, Heritage etc. that is a different motor which has balancing shafts and is solid mounted to the frame,

Overall a positive.

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 09-15-2011 at 03:27 PM.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:06 PM
revelator2
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got a 2001...owned for 4 years now. It has the M&M fuel injection too. I haven't had any problems with the fuel injection..yet! I have put the cam plate and S&S cams this year. The tensioners were worn out at 47K. I have had excellent service out of this bike. It now has close to 55K and I ride it daily...even on very long trips too. It is reliable. BUT I figure I will eventually change it to a carb somewhere along the line if the FI starts giving trouble. I think the cam tensioners and the FI is the only concerns for this bike....both very fixable

Old 09-15-2011, 10:01 PM
ober37
Novice
Default Thanks!!

Thanks guys for the feedback!! I test rode it today and was very pleased. I noticed that it seemed to shake at IDLE a bit, but overall I loved it!!! Will be picking it up tomorrow!

Old 09-15-2011, 10:53 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member

the driveline is mounted on rubber mounts, it'll bounce around at idle.

that'll be even more noticible at stops if you hold the front brake, so don't unless you have a girl on the back.

get the factory service manual- no others come close.
some buy the parts book as well for the exploded diagrams, but here's a good resource:
http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....m_oem/hdmc.asp
some dealers offer good deals online, I like zanottis h-d, usually 20% off if you can plan your purchases.

the motor on that is the 88" popular upgrade is the 95" which require the jugs bored and new pistons- paired with cams ( when you need to think about a cam drive/support solution) makes for a fairly powerful reliable combo ( and head work too)--- if you feel power lacking- some new to Harleys do- I gotta bunch of bikes, I don't turn to the H-D if I wanna go fast

make sure your idle speed is above 1000 rpms, although it'll sound fast, the idle speed is needed to keep oil pressure and volume high.

go where other bikes are ask questions, we all like talking about our bikes

congrats, enjoy the ride!

and welcome to touring-world

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 09-16-2011 at 02:45 AM.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:19 AM
ober37
Novice

Mike, thanks for your thoughts, deeply appreciated. Thanks to the others as well!

A few questions:

- How much would you guess that the 95" upgrade typically runs?

- I read something about Glide Pro being a solution to the shaky idle, any experience / opinions on this?

thanks again!
Brian

Old 09-16-2011, 12:02 PM
kmayHD
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice clean looking scoot, low mileage, good price! Stage 1 is already done, cant see any problems with that deal.

Old 09-16-2011, 02:02 PM
carpetride
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ober37
Mike, thanks for your thoughts, deeply appreciated. Thanks to the others as well!

A few questions:

- How much would you guess that the 95" upgrade typically runs?

- I read something about Glide Pro being a solution to the shaky idle, any experience / opinions on this?

thanks again!
Brian
SE 95 upgrade is about $809 msrp for the stage 2 kit. Jugs, pistons, 203 cams, SE air cleaner. Then you need to tune it (probably not cheap if you have MM fuel injection). Then there's labor, maybe around $600 just to install the parts depending on dealer. Maybe you know an Indy or someone good the tools who can do it for less. Glide pro will help calm the idle shake some but better yet, it will last much longer being a polyurethane mount.

Old 09-16-2011, 02:13 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member

don't worry about the idle.

it's a Harley

imagine how this one feels- and I don't even have shocks! the seat is on a pogo stick

Old 09-16-2011, 04:46 PM
kmayHD
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ohhhh yeah that thing is just wonderful.

Quick Reply: Road King Classic 2000 Options and Guidance