Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

120R. Best place to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 10:23 AM
traveler
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

The MOCO really dropped the ball, when they went to all the effort to build this motor and not weld the crank, IMHO.

It doesn't matter if the wheels are made out of titanium, press fit pins will "give" if jerked around enough.

If welding was unnecessary, then no one would do it.

that said, as long as you don't like to drop the clutch from a standstill...do burnouts etc., it will probably survive.

But why take the chance? the engine is already out, and is too easy to tear down when sitting there on the crate.

Do what you wnat....but I'm not going to do a full on engine and not weld/true the crank and add the TIMKEN lefty bearing along with Torrington cam bearings.

~Joe

Old 09-20-2011, 10:26 AM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by djl
The 120R crank doesn't NEED welding. The SE Pro Stroker wheels and rods is a better crank than the OEM crank. There are more 120Rs on the road with the stock crank than those with welded cranks. CCan the 120R carnk be tweaked? Sure it can, as can any crank can be tweaked, even one that has been welded. That's the whole idea behind a crate motor, bolt it in and start it up.

If crank shift is a concern, get the kit, use the OEM cases with the Lefty crank bearing (or buy a set of 120R cases for $600) and send the crank out for welding, then put the kit together. If a DIYer, just a lot more work but the cost will be about the same as for the crate motor. I believe the kits are more readily available as well. The thing that would bother me with the kit is piston/cylinder fitment; I would insist on .010" OS pistons so the cylinders could be honed to fit.
I have the SE Pro Stroker 4 3/8" crank in my 117" while its a lighter setup made by Jims for Harley it still has a pressed in crank. Any reputable engine builder will you tell its a crap shoot on these 07 and newer cranks. Adding to the fact that the 120" engine uses a 4 5/8" stroke which is longer ( more thrust outward from the circle rotation) then the 4 3/8" stock stroke on a 96" or 103" you increase the chance of twisting the crank pin. Even S&S had a list on the engine they produced that showed the longevity of having a long stroke and big bore.

If money is no object then by all means spend it how ever you like.

Old 09-20-2011, 10:38 AM
traveler
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Next time you guys get a chance, hold a set of wheels in your hand in the forward direction of the motorcycle. The left wheel is tied to the rear wheel, the right wheel is not.

When you let the clutch out, the right wheel wants to move, the left wheel has the rear wheel of the bike trying to keep it from moving.

What it mean is...there is a twisting force, and if the force is great enough, the wheels with shift or scissor.

When this happens, when the runout gets too far out, itd will wear on the oil pump.

Then, your oil pressure will begin to drop.

At some point, through oil pump failure, or a lack of oil pressure, etc., the engine will be toast.

So, if you have an oil pressure gauge, it doesn't hurt to know what it normally reads and occassionally glance at it, as a gauge to what is going on in the crankcase.

but what do I know....

~Joe

Last edited by traveler; 09-20-2011 at 10:43 AM.
Old 09-20-2011, 10:58 AM
roadkinglobo
Supporter
Received 75 Likes on 57 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by traveler
Next time you guys get a chance, hold a set of wheels in your hand in the forward direction of the motorcycle. The left wheel is tied to the rear wheel, the right wheel is not.

When you let the clutch out, the right wheel wants to move, the left wheel has the rear wheel of the bike trying to keep it from moving.

What it mean is...there is a twisting force, and if the force is great enough, the wheels with shift or scissor.

When this happens, when the runout gets too far out, itd will wear on the oil pump.

Then, your oil pressure will begin to drop.

At some point, through oil pump failure, or a lack of oil pressure, etc., the engine will be toast.

So, if you have an oil pressure gauge, it doesn't hurt to know what it normally reads and occassionally glance at it, as a gauge to what is going on in the crankcase.

but what do I know....

~Joe
obviously a lot more than the average non-wrencher rider. Thanks for the interesting take on this.

Old 10-17-2011, 06:40 PM
120 GLIDE
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good point mine is in the shop now with2600 miles the flywheels shifted and wiped out everything oil pump pistons and cyclinders

Old 10-17-2011, 06:46 PM
hog95023
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 106 Posts

That sucks

Old 10-18-2011, 09:52 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,049 Likes on 1,509 Posts

Originally Posted by FLTR2008TRIKE
I have the SE Pro Stroker 4 3/8" crank in my 117" while its a lighter setup made by Jims for Harley it still has a pressed in crank. Any reputable engine builder will you tell its a crap shoot on these 07 and newer cranks. Adding to the fact that the 120" engine uses a 4 5/8" stroke which is longer ( more thrust outward from the circle rotation) then the 4 3/8" stock stroke on a 96" or 103" you increase the chance of twisting the crank pin. Even S&S had a list on the engine they produced that showed the longevity of having a long stroke and big bore.
I don't disagree with any of the points you and Traveler have made about the 120R crank and I am not arguing the benefit of having any crank welded. Agree on the "crap shoot" with the '07 and later cranks but we are talking about the SE Pro Stroker crank which is a cut above the OEM cranks.

Just saying that the SE Pro Stroker crank is a better unit than the OEM crank, ligher assembly withi pins fitted to tighter tolerances. If the motor is not abused, odds are that the SE crank will hold up just fine.

I had the Hoban treatment on the crank in my 107" motor but the crank in my 95" motor (104TQ/96HP) is not welded. The little 95" motor ('05 FXSTD) had .0025" runout when I built the motor and installed gear drives; new hydro kit was not availble then. Nearly 20K hard miles on the build and runout is still .0025".

If I bought the 120R crate motor, I would not go to the trouble and expense of tearing it down to weld the crank. If I was concerned that the crank was an issue, I would buy the kit, have the crank welded and assemble. I am not trying to convince anyone of anything. JMHO, everybody else is entitled to theirs.