Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What I Learned On My Summer Vacation

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 10:00 AM
MareRider
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up What I Learned On My Summer Vacation

We went on a 2000 mile & a 850 mile trip as well as weekend riding. Second year for me (10K this year so far) of riding again. Thought I would put what I learned & maybe find out a few other things...

Packing - We packed clothes for 4 days. Wife used hotel washer & dryer to "recycle" our clothes (her choice). What we found out was that as the week went on, we kept getting more & more room in our bags, even with buying a few new shirts. We were just learning how to roll the clothes up & pack better.

Rain - 1. Coming into rain & drizzle, we stopped to put on our rain gear. Thought this would be a good time to try Pledge. Cleaned the (tall HD) windshield w/Novous and then used Pledge on both sides as well as my full faceshield on 3/4 helmet. The water beaded up & ran off when the wind was right. Even if it didn't run off the water beading up was better/easier to see through.
2. Came to a RR crossing where the tracks were at an angle. If the crossing is a little rough and your front shocks compress, your front tire will slide some on the steel track. I wasn't going fast (rear brake only) & no harm/no foul, but the pucker factor was there.

Driveways - Coming out of a gas station that had a decent sloped ramp I was at an angle instead of straight. Stopped & went to put my foot down, only to realize the ground was a foot lower than I thought. Didn't drop it, but only because I had long legs (or just lucky). A friend of mine was at his cabin near the Dragon 2 months ago, same scenario. He's short legged and his bike, him & his wife went rolling sideways down a hill.

Tires - Like a doofus I didn't check my tire pressures before we left. New rear tire, only 4k on it, it's ok.... Thought the bike felt "funny", but didn't check things out. We were riding some roads aroud Dubuque and coming back to Savanna, IL we crossed the Mississippi on a steel grate bridge. We rode over the Mackinaw bridge earlier this year on the metal & it was like riding on a road that had one of the grinders working on it. Not a big deal. This time it was like I was on marbles. Checked the rear tire later & it was 5# low. If the bike doesn't feel normal, there's a reason why.

Learned alot here on the forum & hope to learn more.

Ride often & safe.

Old 10-04-2011, 10:09 AM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Ride and learn, great that you're on the bike instead of trailering it!

Old 10-04-2011, 10:53 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Live, ride and learn.
Like they say: Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment. lol

Old 10-04-2011, 12:04 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 313 Likes on 181 Posts

Sounds like you're doing OK. That bridge at Savanna does feel different.

Old 10-04-2011, 12:31 PM
cayers
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for sharing!

Old 10-04-2011, 01:23 PM
MareRider
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by piasspj
Sounds like you're doing OK. That bridge at Savanna does feel different.
Yeah.. Maybe not on marbles, but a little bit more wiggle than I was expecting. I think it was just the rear tire a little low. Will find out for sure next year when we head back.

Old 10-04-2011, 02:27 PM
HD Jim
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You made me think! went out and checked my tires, rear was down 5 psi front 6!! thanks for the reminder!

Old 10-04-2011, 02:31 PM
Jags93
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HD Jim
You made me think! went out and checked my tires, rear was down 5 psi front 6!! thanks for the reminder!
My motorcycle tires seem to drop pressure alot quicker than my car/ truck. I suppose its because they hold a smaller volume of air.

Old 10-04-2011, 08:52 PM
SICKBAGGER
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All good stuff for sure glad to see your riding learning and sharing.

Tire pressure is a must check all of the time I do it religiously. I have it down to know how much time and how much it may be down it is consistent. When running wheels and tires like I am they can wear quickly if you don't keep up on it and it is all you have to ride on so make sure they are up to snuff always and they will treat you good. I put it on the jack and rotate and check for wear lumps cuts have found a good tire I have had to change a couple of times.

Packing has always been interesting also you do get good at it at first you pack way to much, then you start to realize what you wore when and how many times, found that the riding stuff lasts well for several uses keep lots of clean underwear (thanks mom) and you have nice clean clothes when you get to your room and shower all good. Buy a lot of shirts along the way and have shipped stuff home along the way before also.

ou learn a lot on those driveways getting in and off the street too I have a few mental notes as to how I approach each on every time. Railroad tracks same thing perpendicular or hualin a$$ and float over them any slower speed have great respect.