Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

REALLY need help on fitting a fairing to my 93 FLHS

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 12:11 AM
vegasjones
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PROJECT COMPLETE W/PICS! -REALLY need help on fitting a fairing to my 93 FLHS

Update to my project -Today was a nice day in Vegas for a ride so I was out and about and thought I'd stop by a local owned bike shop to see if there was anything I couldn't live without. Turns out there was. Just as I was leaving as the store closed I thought I'd ask if Cecil, the owner, knew of any old shovel batwing fairings, he said "I have one sitting right back there". Awesome condition, full brackets and windshield all in about 90% condition. $300 + tax. Bungee corded that bad boy to the back of my bike and here's the result. I'll eventually paint it to match my bike but I personally don't think the black looks too horrible. Let me know what you all think.

So I know this can be done because Ive seen pics online of the older unfaired glides with the fairing added. I know HD makes a fairing, part #58198-76A that will fit but the only problem is that I cant get any info on the mounting hardware and I dont want to drop the money on the fairing if I cant mount it. I also believe there are fairings off of the old shovelheads that will fit, but again, not sure how I'd mount it. The problem of course is the breadbox dash.

Any help or guidance anyone can give me on how to make this work will be greatly appreciated. I really want a fairing and I'm sure theres a way to do it.

Thanks.

Last edited by vegasjones; 10-15-2011 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Project Complete
Old 10-12-2011, 09:03 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,853 Likes on 2,420 Posts

The breadbox dash is a thing of great beauty and joy and causes no problems whatever! Harley made a batwing kit for the FLHS for a short while, but it was expensive, so I passed.

I have had my 1990 FLHS from new and the photos show my late shovel glass-fibre batwing. The original mountings wouldn't work, because of the shape of my headlamp nacelle, so I made up similar mountings myself.

With a little effort you can probably modify the mounting brackets to fit the bike. I previously tried fitting an early double-skinned batwing, but gave up on that, it proved too complicated for my liking, with relocating the instruments and modifying the electrics.

Attached Thumbnails REALLY need help on fitting a fairing to my 93 FLHS-tomtom-final-2_e.jpg   REALLY need help on fitting a fairing to my 93 FLHS-harley-lights-e.jpg  
Old 10-12-2011, 09:19 AM
89FLHT
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 78 Posts

The options that I know of are:

1. Get a inner and outer fairing for an 87 to 95 electra glide and take the instrument pod off where it is mounted and mount it in the fairing, remove the stock nacelle, deal with the wiring and use as many OEM parts as possible.

2. remove the pod, go with a roadking tank, replace the nacelle with a RK one, deal with the wiring, and run an aftermarket fairing for tunes.

3. Leverage a fairing from a shovelhead, like Grahm has done

4. leverage the new memphis shades batwing fairing and fab the brackets to make it work.

Old 10-12-2011, 10:33 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

1.) good with wiring? ( and I can't think of the last time I saw a 95- fairing at a swap

2.) really good with wiring?- one of my Pal's did this- I had to talk him off the ledge a few times- he missed 1/2 a riding season

3.) back to the swaps

4.) I think this may be the best bet and worth a call- they've been around long enough that they know what the FLHS is.
And I've seen their stuff and thought it was well made and finished.

mike

Old 10-12-2011, 10:34 AM
vegasjones
Intermediate

Thanks for the replies. I actually do not want to remove the breadbox dash. I agree that it is distinctive, and whether you like it or not, you just don't see to many of them.

I'll have to see if I can get my hands on an old shovel fairing. I don't care so much about mounting a stereo as I really only want the fairing for the "look"

I may contact Memphis shades and see if I may be able to get one of theirs to work as well.

At this point I think the shovel fairing is the way to go it sounds like. Just going to have to "wing" it in terms of mounting it.

Old 10-12-2011, 11:22 AM
89FLHT
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 78 Posts

LOL!

Never said it be easy, just said those were the only ways I knew of MKGuitar.

I spent a hell of a lot of time wireing and modding my 89 for years. As parts got harder and harder to find and fabbing / repairing / upgrading took more time out of riding; I got rid of it last winter and bought a new SG with the powerpac.

Now i'm just another one of "those" guys that buys bolt-on stuff from a catalog and lets the dealer service it with an extended warranty. My lift and tools are just used on the family ATV's and my brothers 70 big block chevelle.

Time to buy an old shovel to build for a bar hopper...

Old 10-13-2011, 12:05 AM
ftzoid
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vegasjones
So I know this can be done because Ive seen pics online of the older unfaired glides with the fairing added. I know HD makes a fairing, part #58198-76A that will fit but the only problem is that I cant get any info on the mounting hardware and I dont want to drop the money on the fairing if I cant mount it. I also believe there are fairings off of the old shovelheads that will fit, but again, not sure how I'd mount it. The problem of course is the breadbox dash.

Any help or guidance anyone can give me on how to make this work will be greatly appreciated. I really want a fairing and I'm sure theres a way to do it.

Thanks.
Try this guy: http://www.rnrcustomcycle.com/id21.htm
He's been making brackets for the ol' style (shovel head) fairing for years. Give him a call, and he'll tell you right away if'n they'll fit your plastic nacelle. I'm pretty sure they will. Good luck! Let us know if it works out for ya.

Old 10-13-2011, 02:03 AM
grbrown
Club Member

ftzoid that's a great find! The only place the shovel batwing comes close to the bike (except via those brackets) is at the headlight. As you can see on my bike the shape of the headlight cut-out is the same as the chrome trim ring. On shovels there is a rubber strip between the two, but it wouldn't fit on mine. I'm pretty certain a set of RNR RK mountings will fit an FLHS.

Old 10-13-2011, 10:10 AM
vegasjones
Intermediate

That is a good find, thanks for that. But, considering the price I'm going to have to wait a bit on it. By time I buy the fairing which I've found for about $350, $300 for the brackets, plus paint on the fairing to match my bike I'll be into it close to a grand. A bit more than I was expecting to spend at this point. I'll keep digging though. I may be able to find a used fairing and then try to fab/modify some different brackets.

Old 10-13-2011, 12:41 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Wink

I paid small change for my shovel batwing I must confess! The brackets are home made, so that certainly is a more economical way ahead. As well as looking out on Ebay and elsewhere, take a look at the ads here on HDF.

Here are some brackets on Ebay and another more complete set, that have been knocked about a lot. It is worth getting one of them, if only to copy them. There is also a scruffy batwing, so stuff is around!

Quick Reply: REALLY need help on fitting a fairing to my 93 FLHS