Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter Clutch vs heat

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 11:37 PM
Firedog
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter Clutch vs heat

Has anyone ever heard of a starter clutch's going bad due to the location HD has put them on a Road King/touring models that with pipes crossing over the starter that the extra heat wears the starter out? Specifically Rinehart True Dual Exhaust.

Old 10-14-2011, 11:52 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 396 Likes on 338 Posts

the starter clutch?--- you mean the bendix on the starter shaft? which when rotated extends to contact the ring gear on clutch basket

or do you mean the starter motor or solenoid-?

both the electrical components are affected by heat,
heat causes resistance in electrical circuits, coils, switches etc. and that resistance creates more heat...it's like a snake eating it's tail.

keep connections clean and tight, if you have solenoid problems, they are easily rebuilt, starters too are easily serviced.
( most solenoid problems are caused by low battery- instead of the solenoid contact disc getting a good pull onto the contacts, a weak pull causes arcing, pitting and carbon on the disc and contacts)

as long as the coils in the motor are not burned up, the starter will last a long time....decades

as for pipe proximity, that could be a factor, but H-D starters are close to the rear cylinder, on top of the tranny and oil tank and right by the exhaust...until recently the rear header was the "Y" pipe used for decades, the pipe passed within inches of the starter--- on my 88 FXRP the header pipe was attached to a bracket on the primary RIGHT ON TOP of the bendix

mike

Old 10-15-2011, 12:18 AM
beanok
Advanced

i have a 08 streetglide and just replace the starter clutch 2 days ago.

Old 10-15-2011, 12:23 AM
Firedog
6th Gear

The starter clutch is going bad, and was said that the extra heat coming off the pipes that cross over the top of the starter is wearing out the starter clutch, for the second time. I have other friends with the same pipes, touring bikes, and never have had this issue. I wish I could do the repairs myself but have no place to do it, sucks.

Old 10-15-2011, 08:12 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 637 Likes on 508 Posts

i think its from the lame compensator bottoming out and beating the starter. several guys in here have had good luck with the se compensator.

Old 10-15-2011, 09:20 PM
kpb46
Road Master

Originally Posted by Firedog
The starter clutch is going bad, and was said that the extra heat coming off the pipes that cross over the top of the starter is wearing out the starter clutch, for the second time. I have other friends with the same pipes, touring bikes, and never have had this issue. I wish I could do the repairs myself but have no place to do it, sucks.
Really doesn't take much space or time to do the repair. You can do it in the driveway. About $120 for the part. Be careful, the dealer said I needed a new starter $325 plus labor.

Old 10-15-2011, 09:44 PM
oasis03
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

One more cheap thing Harley put on when their was a better clutch available. I replaced mine at 11 thousand miles with a heavy duty clutch i think was used on some Toyotas and Chryslers. One more reason I wish i had known then what I know now.

Old 10-15-2011, 09:47 PM
kpb46
Road Master

Originally Posted by oasis03
One more cheap thing Harley put on when their was a better clutch available. I replaced mine at 11 thousand miles with a heavy duty clutch i think was used on some Toyotas and Chryslers. One more reason I wish i had known then what I know now.
Do ya have any part #'s

Old 10-15-2011, 09:51 PM
oasis03
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I can get part numbers but it will be Monday before i can get them.

Old 10-15-2011, 09:54 PM
kpb46
Road Master

Originally Posted by oasis03
I can get part numbers but it will be Monday before i can get them.
Cool i can wait Thanks

Quick Reply: Starter Clutch vs heat