Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GPS for 06 Ultra Classic

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 06:19 PM
ultrafan06
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GPS for 06 Ultra Classic

I would like to buy a GPS unit for my 06 Ultra Classic. Currently I run a MP3 player off the auxilary sound system. Would I have to unplug this if I want to run the audio for turn-by-turn directions using the GPS. HD offers a product that uses the sound system but it costs $1100.00 and I'm not sure how it works and runs. Any suggetions??

Old 11-27-2006, 06:24 PM
bountyhunter
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: GPS for 06 Ultra Classic

Garmin ZUMO!

Old 11-27-2006, 06:35 PM
ones
Advanced

I use a Garmin Quest2. It has a speaker in the cigarette adapter. I also use this mount: http://www.expressmounts.com/item-ra.../ramholqp1.htm

Attach it with something like this:
http://www.expressmounts.com/item-ram-mount-strap-rail-base-with-1'-ball/ramb108b.htm

Ram mounts have about everything possible you could want.

Old 11-27-2006, 06:42 PM
ultrafan06
Advanced

Regarding the Garmin Quest2, the speaker is loud enough to hear the directions when going down the highway with road and motor noise?

Old 11-27-2006, 06:48 PM
gman
Outstanding HDF Member

i use a garmin 2610 on a ram mount. if you get the motorcycle power cable, it also has an outlet to hook to the audio to the AUX port on the radio or an extra headset. course, if you hook it to the aux port, you can't listen to the radio at the same time. i got a small earphone from radio shack and the HD cord for a radar detector. works great. can hear the intercom, radio and the GPS. course, sometimes listening to the wife on the back does make me sometimes want to unplug the intercom.

Old 11-27-2006, 07:11 PM
ultrafan06
Advanced

Gman,

Would you recommend using an ear piece vs listening from speakers on wing? Do you tend to listen more than looking at display going down the road?

Old 11-27-2006, 07:33 PM
ones
Advanced

Ultrafan06, The volume is adjustable and I have no problem hearing the directions. I have used the other mount and ran the output to the aux on the radio. This also works but you lose your tunes while in the aux mode.

Old 11-27-2006, 07:41 PM
ultrafan06
Advanced

Thanks Ones, I definitly want to listen to music and GPS at the same time. So is everything powered off the cigerette adapter?

Old 11-27-2006, 09:10 PM
gman
Outstanding HDF Member

i did not use the 2610 cigarette lighter power/speaker cord with the speaker. Had heard the possibility of the speaker hitting the gas tank on a tight turn. it is close, even with the speaker on the cord turned up. i didn't want to take the chance, so got the motorcycle power cord that hooks to the back of the GPS (with a audio out), and got power from the back side of the UC cigarette lighter underneath the fairing.

yes, i do listen to the radio/Cd/satt radio while driving, and the talking GPS doesn't require me to watch the GPS. Even with the sunshade, it sometimes is a bit hard to read on a bright sunny day.

Old 11-27-2006, 10:17 PM
ones
Advanced

All powered from the cig. adapter, I really use the ram mount version much more. I added a low profile cig. adapter to avoid hitting the tank.
The supplied mount has a suction cup which I mounted over the tach when I used it. Not great but the mount was part of the package. I use that one all the time in my vehicle.

Quick Reply: GPS for 06 Ultra Classic