Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 ultra limited leaking oil

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 09:40 AM
MR.JIM
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 ultra limited leaking oil

hi guys, anyone out there experiencing an oil leak from the oil cooler adapter plate on the engine block? i changed my oil myself at 1k and i currently have 3k on the bike. i noticed i had an oil leak so i checked my oil filter and it was loose. i tightened the oil filter, cleaned it all up, done. to my surprise i had another leak from the same area so i purchased a new filter thinking maybe i had a defective filter or squashed the gasket retightening it. well its leaking again and i caught it before it made a mess. it appears to be leaking from the gasket between the adapter plate and engine block. its a damp slow leak that becomes a mess over time. i bought a new gasket and will replace it myself, i was just curious if anyone else has seen this on their machine

Old 10-26-2011, 09:46 AM
Ticitme
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's fairly common. I guess that the adapter loosens when you take the filter off at oil changes. No..... tightening the adapter does not fix the leak once it started. I've only seen one where the top plate on the adapter has started to leak as well. Surprisingly that one the adapter mounting bolt was torqued to spec and stilled leaked at both gaskets.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:14 AM
RAP
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Check the two allen head plugs on the front of the part that the filter screws onto. These can have a small leak and make it look like the leak is coming from the filter.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:29 AM
roadgliderick
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

when u put the adapter gasket in use blue loctite. thats probly why is leaking i have seen it a few times and no used loctite.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:30 AM
kojak
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,484 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Yes, my 2011 Ultra did the same thing after an oil change. The tech retorqued and the leak stopped.

Old 10-28-2011, 04:29 PM
TomWoodgeard
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another possibility..... My friend had a leak in the same area on his 2011 CVO
Road Glide. Turns out to be a pinhole leak in one of the oil cooler hoses.
Maybe a factory defect???????

Old 10-31-2011, 08:27 AM
MR.JIM
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think i licked it guys! i replaced the mounting gasket as well as the upper rectangular gasket and supplemented the gaskets with indian head shellac from permatex. i took the bike out for a quick 5 mile spin and then checked for leaks, all is good so far! the real test will be a full day of riding so i can get the engine nice and hot

Old 10-31-2011, 08:49 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

I would let the dealer work on this. While it is under warranty I let them look at any issues. That way if the issue continues after the warranty runs out, they still fix it.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:04 AM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 190 Posts

Indian Head, that's some good "CHIT"

Old 10-31-2011, 09:11 AM
teedubya
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I had the same issue on the way to Sturgis this year on my '11 Limited. I was at Sioux Falls SD just around the corner from J&L HD. They took care of me first thing sat. morning cleaned the bike up also and I was out of there. The service writer, who was also part owner, told me they had seen a few others with the same issue. Super people to do business with. Haven't had the leak again yet.

Quick Reply: 2011 ultra limited leaking oil