Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does Hand Controls work with new stereo install?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 12:53 AM
ericdata
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does Hand Controls work with new stereo install?

I have a new stereo I want to install on my RG and have read a few posts but unsure whether the volume and search controls will work if I install a new stereo. Does it have to be the Sony that everyone is talking about? I have a nice Pioneer deck that I'd like to install, but giving up the hand controls may be a hard thing to do.

Thanks in advance!

Old 09-13-2005, 01:04 AM
PEZ
Tourer
Default RE: Does Hand Controls work with new stereo install?

Hey

If your radio came with a remote control(IR), you can use a module from PAC (Pacific Accesory Corp) and make it work off the HD handlebar controls--

PEZ www.hogtunes.com

Old 09-13-2005, 02:11 AM
nfe
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You can also use a Pioneer with the Biketronics units.. I just ordered mine last week from them.. I hope to have it in a day or two.. However I am installing the Sony 5710. I bought one already, and ended up putting it in my truck! Guess I'm out $150 for another radio!!

-NFE

P.S. I REALLY like the Sony.. And my previous was a Mobile ES series top of the line, and this Xplode kicks A$$

Old 09-13-2005, 06:44 AM
Chaplain Wayne
Advanced

If you purchase a "retro radio kit" from Biketronics, it will allow the swap to be aplug and play operation. It also allows all of the hand controls to work fine when you plug it in. I installed a 5710 Sony in my Road Glide and it works super with the retro radio kit and hog tune speakers. If you have any question on the install, holler back.

Chaplain Wayne

Old 09-13-2005, 01:11 PM
Qball
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just installed the Sony 5710 with Biketronics RetroRadio kit. Other than soldering 7 wires, everything was "plug & play." All hand controls work great. Don't forget the HogTunes Speakers. I ride with others and they say they hear my radio over their stock systems!

Old 09-13-2005, 11:59 PM
ericdata
Novice

First, I want to say thanks to PEZ of HOGTUNES, my speakers are awesome! Also thanks for taking the time to speak with me over the phone today, everything makes sense now.

Thanks to all the guys that chimed in, I appreciate all the help!! Last but definitely not least, thanks to HDFORUMS.com, without them, I wouldn't no sh*t.

For future reference to memebers or people searching, here's how I plan to swap out my stock stereo.
** JUNKY STOCK SPEAKERS ALREADY REPLACED WITH HOGTUNES**

1. The stereo that I'm installing is a Pioneer indash DVD player which does not have a wired remote system for the hand controls, but has a wireless IR remote control. ( ok I know it sounds ridiculous, but it should look pretty kewl, plus I have a navigation kit with it )
2. Couldn't find a wiring harness kit, so I'll have to cut the wires from the back of the stock stereo and match the wires with the appropriate Pioneer wires (power, ground, 2 wires per speaker, and attenna)
3. Tie them all together with wire connectors.
4. Purchase PAC's SWI-X( Pacific Accessory Corporation product # ) installation seems very simple http://www.pac-audio.com/swixprogram...Vehicles&ID=62
5. Should be good to go after the above is complete.

Hope this is helpful to any baggers wanted to swap out there stock stereo. If I missed something, someone please let us know!!

Thanks Again Everyone!