Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stayin Alive... What do you do to survive on the road?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 01:10 PM
Pattrolling
Advanced
Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Stayin Alive... What do you do to survive on the road?

For me, I added lights to the bike. I want to be see far away, so I added Motolights to the front and I converted the rear turn signals to brake lights. I still want to add a brighter rear tail light to my RKC.

I avoid the outside lanes on some roads because of the right turns from shopping center parking lots. Keeps me from being rear ended and turned into too.

Old 11-25-2011, 01:22 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I run as many lights as I have on the bike, and I keep my head on a swivel. I look for eye contact with people. I watch their tires/wheels to see if they start to move as I approach. I always try to be in position to see their face in their rear view mirrors. If I'm passing some one, the minute I lose sight of their face, I hit the gas and get on by them.

And if all else fails, I try to ride just a tad faster than everyone else. They can't hit me if they don't catch me.

Old 11-25-2011, 01:33 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Pattrolling
For me, I added lights to the bike. I want to be see far away, so I added Motolights to the front and I converted the rear turn signals to brake lights. I still want to add a brighter rear tail light to my RKC.

I avoid the outside lanes on some roads because of the right turns from shopping center parking lots. Keeps me from being rear ended and turned into too.
I keep my eyes open, my head on straight, and ride in whatever lane or part of the lane that is appropriate for the conditions.

I don't buy into all the bright lights, reflective clothing, loud pipes, etc., philosophies.

Most people on the road will see you regardless, and for the few that don't, it really doesn't matter... As long as I see them, do not assume that they see me, and ride accordingly I'll be ok.

I know this perspective is different than many, but it works for me and I absolutely believe in it. I've said this before and I'll say it again, your own situational awareness is the most important safety tool you have out there.

Old 11-25-2011, 01:34 PM
JIMSFBL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I wear a flashing neon vest, a helmet with a strobe, a siren going at all times while my bike is strapped onto a trailer and my wife pulls me around town with my truck.

Other than that it's just motorcycle riding 101.

Old 11-25-2011, 01:34 PM
stupid_rope
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

i ride like an *******. gets peoples attention, including the asians doing 15 under the limit in the left lane, the douchebag reading the novel on his steering wheel on the interstate, the dumb females doing makeup, and everyone who is texting while driving.

of course, i also have better SA than most people.

Old 11-25-2011, 01:38 PM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Nothing wrong with adding lights, but depending on them is foolish. The only defense you have on a motorcycle is sensible riding and awareness. NOTHING you can do will insure that the other driver will see you, you HAVE to see them & leave yourself an out. Simple as that. Be aware of things around you, & NEVER out drive your sight line.

Old 11-25-2011, 01:40 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 2black1s
Most people on the road will see you regardless, and for the few that don't, it really doesn't matter...

While very true, proving it in court that there was no way they could miss you is another matter. They will all say that you appeared out of nowhere like some ship coming out of the fog. It'll be up to you and your attorneys to prove that they are lying.

Old 11-25-2011, 02:50 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 286 Likes on 190 Posts

I ride like everyone is out to get me! Don't drink and ride, ( natural resting point of a motorcycle is on it's side, doesn't need any help). Lights are a Goidelic thing, I run yellow passing lights because they're different. Going to put a back off and the rear lights, this will cause the brake lights to flash five time and then go to on...and wear gloves, boots, helmet, jacket ( mesh in summer) ....don't ride with anyone who does drink....just me.

Old 11-25-2011, 02:56 PM
Benito
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I wear bright colored clothing, keep alert, never ride when I'm not feeling it, and avoid target fixation at all costs. To be seen from the rear, I added a tour pack with rear lights. Here is hoping this helps...

B

Old 11-25-2011, 03:05 PM
Rick Lees
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same stuff don't ride right next to people get by them fast as possible. I do my best to make them see me. I don't like to bunch up with people I try to see far enough a head to avoid STUPID. Sure it won't all the time but the rest is odds

Quick Reply: Stayin Alive... What do you do to survive on the road?