Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing REV-TECH 6 speed tranny...

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2023, 03:34 PM
Mark Ballantine
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FastHarley
I have had & have the same trans for 6 years now. A few years ago I was rounding Lake Okeechobee and a shifter fork broke and the parts dropped down and locked up but the final drive belt broke.

Fast Forward several months:
I took the trans cluster out and than had the trans taken apart for parts evaluation. I than ordered them through Custom Chrome (CC) & drop shipped to a vendor.
  • I had an INDY put the cluster together and I installed it into the bike. It did not work and removed it.
  • I brought the cluster to an locally respected authorized CC dealer for disassemble and reinstall who also repairs HD's. I received a bill but it did not work properly.
  • I brought the bike back in running condition back for the second time and was charged a third time. It did not work properly.
  • I brought the bike back in running condition back for the third time and was charged a fourth time. It did not work properly.
  • I interviewed every CC authorized dealers from the list provided by CC from Miami to West Palm Beach who does repairs and found them to be either incompetent to flat out lairs. Had one moron who told and drew what machining he was going to do to rectify the problem. Only thing was he does not know what the hell he was talking about as it was imposable to do it. If you are going to lie, at least know what you are talking about
Now it is serious and I came to the conclusion I needed to spend my time to fix it myself. I just do not have the time to do it myself so I will not take in jobs until it is done. Through my connections I was able to finally get through to the head technician of CC Heck Huckibee and asked for the technical assembly drawing not available to end users.

I received the manual and proceeded to take detailed pictures of each gear. I e-Mailed it to Huck at his personal e-Mail for evaluation. I did this twice and received no response. If you are an end user do not expect even this aforementioned amount of support.

I carefully examined every gear under magnification and replaced what was needed to be replaced & restored it back to new. I than re-assembled the trans correctly (dry run at least 6 times so I can do it in my sleep) and put it in the bike. Every person I brought it to assembled the trans differently than the manual which I followed exactly.

For the first time my bike does not drip a drop of oil and works correctly in every gear.

Summery:
  1. If you purchase a RevTech product, you will be supported until the very last day of your guarantee, not one day after that! There is no support. Learn to do it yourself and never rely on anyone.
  2. I started off at with a certified Harley mechanic than brought it to one of the oldest and best reparation INDY in my area. Five invoices totaling well over $1,000 and the trans did not work properly.
  3. I learned how to fix a RevTech trans myself. The product now runs flawlessly. I have and have never had absolutely no noise issues as someone here has mentioned. I use this bike as a high speed cruiser for long distances. I changed the final to 0.86:1. I am running a 24T~ 37T (Sportsman Bandit clutch) than a 34T ~ 66T final. At 90 MPH I am running somewhere around 3K all day and night. I usually run 85MPS, 10 MPH over the speed limit at somewhere around 2.7~2.8 RPM's. The bike accelerates quickly but 6 gear should only be used above 67 MPH due to lugging.
  4. The trans shifts effortlessly and just works like it should. In a quick search on e-Bay you can get a gear set for $629.95 which will slip into your trans case using your trap door.
You wouldn't happen to have a link or literature on the revtech assembly and information. I'm having a very rough time past 2 months getting the gears proper. I keep trying to figure out how to put it in neutral so I can add the shift forks and shift drum properly. It's actually my buddies bike that a club said would repair an damaged it in rain am element's for 3 years. More water than oil came out which caused me to open the trap door up for access to clean sludge an stuff. I would really appreciate the help as there is nothing on the internet with power flow charts or anything. TiA

Old 07-31-2023, 03:52 PM
MTBIG G
Road Warrior

Received 969 Likes on 557 Posts

Thread's over 11 yrs old and it's been almost 2 years since fastharley posted. Not sure you're going to get a response here.

Might try posting on the transmission/ primary forum.
Good luck.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/prima...ine-clutch-54/

Last edited by MTBIG G; 07-31-2023 at 03:54 PM.