Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing REV-TECH 6 speed tranny...

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 01:09 AM
eds06roadglide
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing REV-TECH 6 speed tranny...

Well i have killed 5 gear and decided to make the plunge into a 6 speed. I did a lot of searching on the forum and found mixed reviews. So swear by em some just don't like them cause there Asian. Well for 1300.oo installed i'll give it a shot. I had 700.00 bucks worth of parts and labor already so I figured why not. I know a few guys in my club that love em so here we go. These guys have way juice than my pumped up 95" and with a 5 year 50,000 warrenty chit sounds good to me....

Old 12-01-2011, 01:46 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 396 Likes on 338 Posts

the first version of those had problems leading to a recall- later versions hopefully fixed.

so do you end up with an over drive 6th gear ?

or a close ratio 6 ? ( in which 6 is the same ratio as the old 5th gear?)

Myself if going that way would burn the extra money on the Baker Drivetrain--- matybe they give a cool sticker or something--- but their work is universally highly regarded.

My evo bagger didn't have the nuts to take advantage of a 6 ( only 74 HP), so I stayed with the 5 on that, my HiPo FXR has an overdrive with a 61T rear pulley and stayed with the 5- it's such a light weight bike and the power is there, I can go all the way through an intersection before shifting which is nice

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 12-01-2011 at 01:49 AM.
Old 12-01-2011, 04:25 AM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I haven't heard too many good things about Rev-Tech, I hope their tranny is better than their engines, I also hope they back their warranty. Given a choice, I would go with Baker, but it is a bit more.

Old 12-01-2011, 06:47 AM
customsoftail200
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the Revtech in mine, for about 5k miles now. It was a little noisy, but the Redline heavy oil took care of that. It shifts smooth. I beat the snot out of my bike and I got a pretty healthy 95" in mine and never had a problem..... knock on wood...

Old 12-01-2011, 07:47 AM
Terrabella
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dbell66253
I haven't heard too many good things about Rev-Tech, I hope their tranny is better than their engines, I also hope they back their warranty. Given a choice, I would go with Baker, but it is a bit more.
Same here. Installed a six speed tranny on my 03 Deuce and had issues with it popping out of gear when coming to a full stop. Rev-Tech was of little help fixing the problem so my indy mechanic pulled her apart and did some shimming work and finally she worked. If I had to do it all over again, I would go with the Baker six speed. In the long run, it would have been cheaper.

Attached Thumbnails Installing REV-TECH 6 speed tranny...-leatherworks-saddlebags-012.jpg  
Old 12-01-2011, 08:05 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 441 Likes on 246 Posts

I have had & have the same trans for 6 years now. A few years ago I was rounding Lake Okeechobee and a shifter fork broke and the parts dropped down and locked up but the final drive belt broke.

Fast Forward several months:
I took the trans cluster out and than had the trans taken apart for parts evaluation. I than ordered them through Custom Chrome (CC) & drop shipped to a vendor.
  • I had an INDY put the cluster together and I installed it into the bike. It did not work and removed it.
  • I brought the cluster to an locally respected authorized CC dealer for disassemble and reinstall who also repairs HD's. I received a bill but it did not work properly.
  • I brought the bike back in running condition back for the second time and was charged a third time. It did not work properly.
  • I brought the bike back in running condition back for the third time and was charged a fourth time. It did not work properly.
  • I interviewed every CC authorized dealers from the list provided by CC from Miami to West Palm Beach who does repairs and found them to be either incompetent to flat out lairs. Had one moron who told and drew what machining he was going to do to rectify the problem. Only thing was he does not know what the hell he was talking about as it was imposable to do it. If you are going to lie, at least know what you are talking about
Now it is serious and I came to the conclusion I needed to spend my time to fix it myself. I just do not have the time to do it myself so I will not take in jobs until it is done. Through my connections I was able to finally get through to the head technician of CC Heck Huckibee and asked for the technical assembly drawing not available to end users.

I received the manual and proceeded to take detailed pictures of each gear. I e-Mailed it to Huck at his personal e-Mail for evaluation. I did this twice and received no response. If you are an end user do not expect even this aforementioned amount of support.

I carefully examined every gear under magnification and replaced what was needed to be replaced & restored it back to new. I than re-assembled the trans correctly (dry run at least 6 times so I can do it in my sleep) and put it in the bike. Every person I brought it to assembled the trans differently than the manual which I followed exactly.

For the first time my bike does not drip a drop of oil and works correctly in every gear.

Summery:
  1. If you purchase a RevTech product, you will be supported until the very last day of your guarantee, not one day after that! There is no support. Learn to do it yourself and never rely on anyone.
  2. I started off at with a certified Harley mechanic than brought it to one of the oldest and best reparation INDY in my area. Five invoices totaling well over $1,000 and the trans did not work properly.
  3. I learned how to fix a RevTech trans myself. The product now runs flawlessly. I have and have never had absolutely no noise issues as someone here has mentioned. I use this bike as a high speed cruiser for long distances. I changed the final to 0.86:1. I am running a 24T~ 37T (Sportsman Bandit clutch) than a 34T ~ 66T final. At 90 MPH I am running somewhere around 3K all day and night. I usually run 85MPS, 10 MPH over the speed limit at somewhere around 2.7~2.8 RPM's. The bike accelerates quickly but 6 gear should only be used above 67 MPH due to lugging.
  4. The trans shifts effortlessly and just works like it should. In a quick search on e-Bay you can get a gear set for $629.95 which will slip into your trans case using your trap door.

Last edited by FastHarley; 12-01-2011 at 08:09 AM.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:47 AM
Terrabella
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

After reading FastHarley's post I don't think I would mess around with any other transmission other than Baker. I too had very poor response from Rev-Tech. Never was 100% happy with the transmission even after the fix and certainly not with the tech support.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:28 AM
jmashin
2nd Gear

Just got done trying a RevTech gear set, had problems with it popping out of 4th gear at 4200 RPM, after talking with the RevTech (my mechanic)and taking some measurements they sent a new shifting fork. Check the measurements to the old and there was a big difference, but put it in and it did the same thing at 4200 RPM pop out of 4th gear. I've decided to send it back to RevTech and try another, no confidence in them anymore. Going with Ultima this time.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:37 AM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jmashin
Just got done trying a RevTech gear set, had problems with it popping out of 4th gear at 4200 RPM, after talking with the RevTech (my mechanic)and taking some measurements they sent a new shifting fork. Check the measurements to the old and there was a big difference, but put it in and it did the same thing at 4200 RPM pop out of 4th gear. I've decided to send it back to RevTech and try another, no confidence in them anymore. Going with Ultima this time.
If I were you, and you can swing it, I would seriously consider Baker, those guys are serious about what they do, and will make sure your satisfied.

Old 04-30-2012, 07:47 AM
jmashin
2nd Gear
Default 2004 flh

I've already check with Baker and the problem is their door is 1/2 thicker and would run into the new S&S header pipes I just installed. I never thought of checking (dumb)

Quick Reply: Installing REV-TECH 6 speed tranny...