Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Ride + Lowering kit in rear?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 03:28 PM
ChoptXLC
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Air Ride + Lowering kit in rear?!?!

Has anyone done this?? Not looking to ride around extremely low, just wondering if anyone has attempted doing this on a touring bike to get extra low while parked?

Let me know if anyone has given this a shot or if I deserve a

This will be on my 04' EG with a baddad rear fender/stretched bags...

Old 12-26-2011, 03:33 PM
piesik650
Road Warrior

Lowering kit brackets put the shocks at a different angle I wouldnt want to put that much stress on an air ride shock because it could be hard on the seals and cause an early failure. My dad has lowering kit brackets, they were on his bike for two weeks, now they are on the top of his toolbox. Just my .02 I have legends air ride on my road glide and it goes plenty low for me when I park.

Old 12-27-2011, 05:52 PM
Egras2k
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just got HD Profile Lower shocks in the rear. They retain existing air ride.

Old 12-27-2011, 06:07 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

you can do it.

be aware that there is wiring inside the rear fender that the tire likes to eat.

replacing the stock wiring with "flat 4" wiring like on a trailer wiring kit, you can use silicone to adhere the wiring to the inner side of the fender.

remove any bolt ends sticking into that area, like seat mount

chances are if you do that, you'll be restoring some height after a week.

mike

Old 12-28-2011, 09:13 AM
ChoptXLC
Tourer

Ya, well aware of the wiring. I was more concerned with putting stress on the shocks. I am going to be running the wiring on the outside of the fender and running a baddad fender cover. So the only thing it would possibly come in contact would be the actual tire.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:56 AM
piesik650
Road Warrior

ask yourself this. your air ride blows a seal at 80mph. and you drop your air and ur bike lowers to the ground. I wouldn't want to be super low and super dead.

Old 05-12-2016, 09:34 AM
Dave Clukey
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lots of safety concerns, opinions and recommendations, but no one answered the question.

Old 05-12-2016, 11:56 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by Dave Clukey
Lots of safety concerns, opinions and recommendations, but no one answered the question.
Unfortunately the question isn't too clear or very specific! I assume the air system mentioned is a custom type of some sort that allows lowering the bike when stationary, presumably riding at a raised height.

It would be helpful if ChoptXLC told us what brands of kit he has in mind.

Old 03-31-2018, 12:43 AM
jasongalvan
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have custom air ride + la choppers lowering kit

I have a custom air ride on my 03 RKC from a local shop that makes kits called xotic customs in Lincoln Nebraska. I also recently installed an LA Choppers lowering kit and the goal I was trying to get to was (because I'm short legged) a ride height that is just enough so I can be flat footed but also not feel like I'm riding on metal. The lowering blocks allow my air ride to fill up with enough air now to be very comfortable at the right ride height. (It also handles better because lower center of gravity)

My question is how can I put in a safety measure (because I don't want to eat gravel at 80 mph) to stop the socks from going too low so my tire doesn't dig dig my fender? Would a limiter switch connected to my dump valve work? Are there frame blocks I could buy or make that could be a failsafe? Any ideas or suggestions would be helpful. As long as they aren't to take the kit or air off. My air has been good for 3 years so far, no issues or leaks at all. But I want to always make sure I make it home to my family.
thanks for any help

Old 03-31-2018, 06:43 AM
memphisharley
Road Warrior

Received 413 Likes on 318 Posts

i cant answer your question but have you tried letting out all the air from the system to see if the tire will rub the fender while sitting on it .

Quick Reply: Air Ride + Lowering kit in rear?!?!