Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BATWING What size windshield works for you.

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 12:34 AM
Medicjaycook
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BATWING What size windshield works for you.

Hey guys I am looking for what size shield works for a guy around 5'10 - 5'11, Right now I have the stock windshield that came on the cop bikes, a 4" and a 5.25" recurve style. I love the look of the recurve shields in dark smoke. but the SG 4" shield I feel like Im riding through a hurricane and my glasses and get tore off my face going over 40mph, the 5.25" recurve is slightly better but still get blasted. I love the stock shields wind protection but I have to actually look through the shield which is horrible if it rains or gets a nasty bug splatter and can be annoying with sun glasses on. I am Looking at LRS shields there recurve styles. But what would be a good size to keep me and my wife happy and protected for the most part. Im switching seats too so that might play a factor, since the sundowner or compareable seat is going to raise us both up higher then the stock SG seat.

Old 01-10-2012, 12:49 AM
oppirs
Road Warrior

I'm 6'1... I did get a LSR 10" light smoke for my batwing, recurve. With my seat done by MeanCycle. I start off above the shield, but the memoryfoam set me below the shield after 20 min.

For me I like to look thu the shield. Really works well with the sun killing me. Duck down double shading. Rain sit-up.

I will give LSR kodo's on high speed runs. I really like the vacuum effect of their shields above 70 mph.

Old 01-10-2012, 12:53 AM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,573 Likes on 1,497 Posts

12 inch for winter,stock. For summer I run a dark tint 10inch.

Old 01-10-2012, 01:08 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 396 Likes on 338 Posts

the top edge of my windscreen "appears" to intersect the road about 40' in front of the bike.

this is high enough to tuck into it if is rains ( which is why I don't have a tint- I'd be looking through it at night in the rain), but for the most part I look over it.
the windblast and crud flies just over my head- I can put my hand up and feel it going past.

If I wear a helmet I do feel the wind a little more, helmet shape is important- the best helmet I've ever had is a H-D branded shorty with a little ducktail on the back. It doesn't lift at speed or bobble around

I use different height seats ( brawler solo, SG, Ultra) and I size the windscreen to match: 7", 8", 10"

I buy take offs and cut the bottom edge with a rotozip.

Glasses: the only frames that work for me are RayBan wayfarer or other horn rim styles ( my prescription specs are from eyebuydirect.com style: ronnie)- with these i can ride over 100 mph, no problem.
The worst glasses ever were aviators, turbulence behind the lens.

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 01-10-2012 at 01:14 AM.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:10 AM
bobgv
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im feeling that wind slap my glasses off my face as well. Don't want nothing to big but was wondering if will just a recurve do? Anybody have pics of different styles or input of which windsheild company is best. Sorry dont mean to hyjack this thread but I think were looking for the same thing anyway

Old 01-10-2012, 01:37 AM
wcsj55@yahoo.com
Extreme HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Clearview 8" recurve works for me,I can see over the top and recurve directs air over my head,I run the same shield year round !!!
BTW I'm 6" tall sitting on a reworked StreetGlide seat !

Old 01-10-2012, 02:00 AM
bamamike
6th Gear

I have 3 I use, the 4" for when I wanna ride in the summer and let the wind hit my face, a 10" for just normal riding and a 13" for the winter, helments do make a difference to me at least to stop the buffeting you get from the wind, I only have one, a half with a lip at the back, works for me. I am 6' on a stock SG. I like the extra wind protection in the winter from the 13, like the 10 for the spring when ya never know about a rain shower poping up, the 4 is just for a nice summer day.

Old 01-10-2012, 03:03 AM
Medicjaycook
Cruiser

Originally Posted by bobgv
Im feeling that wind slap my glasses off my face as well. Don't want nothing to big but was wondering if will just a recurve do? Anybody have pics of different styles or input of which windsheild company is best. Sorry dont mean to hyjack this thread but I think were looking for the same thing anyway

I noticed a big difference from the stock 4" sg shield to the 5.25" recurve just not enough for me to keep it on year round. I want to get the LRS stealth they are a sponsor on here and are the best priced I have found so far, Ill probably go 9" Idk yet lol

Old 01-10-2012, 03:42 AM
oppirs
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Medicjaycook
I want to get the LRS stealth they are a sponsor on here and are the best priced I have found so far, Ill probably go 9" Idk yet lol
I got a deal due to IronAss hoka hey promotion. I even called them and talked to the owner of LRS about how to size my ride. Give them a ring, nice folks.

Old 01-10-2012, 04:13 AM
bobgv
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Medicjaycook
I noticed a big difference from the stock 4" sg shield to the 5.25" recurve just not enough for me to keep it on year round. I want to get the LRS stealth they are a sponsor on here and are the best priced I have found so far, Ill probably go 9" Idk yet lol
Let me know which way you go either way, so is the recurve good enough for the warmer months or do you still need more height. Thanks

Quick Reply: BATWING What size windshield works for you.