Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ugh, helmet help.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 05:14 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 882 Likes on 439 Posts

HCI 100. Very comfortable, doesn't catch much wind, and kept me from getting dain brammage in the accident.

Old 01-26-2012, 05:24 PM
drukanfu
Supporter
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Try on the HD Hybrid, ********.
P.S. Women like the look !

Last edited by drukanfu; 01-26-2012 at 05:51 PM. Reason: P.S.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:28 PM
sgnden
Road Master
Received 56 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by drukanfu
Try on the HD Hybrid, ********.
Hey, no need to call names now...ha!

As the helmet-makers say..."So much head, so little time."

Old 01-26-2012, 05:37 PM
blusmbl
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dgdamore
Well, I'm a guy who loves riding without a helmet, but as I get older, I understand that I should be wearing one and intend to at least on longer highway trips.
I'm of the opposite theory. Wear the helmet when you're young. If I make it to 70 I'm not even going to be riding a motorcycle wearing pants, let alone a helmet.

Old 01-27-2012, 07:14 AM
drukanfu
Supporter
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

In all seriousness, helmets are made for a one time impact and you'll need to replace it. Seems like they have a material similar to packing crate foam, just take your thumbs and crush (form) the inside to loosen up any pressure points. You can also get (sometimes supplied with helmet) add in pieces to get the right fit. The HD Hybrid is super lite and wind dosen't seem to bother it. On a Harley they say ya look like a dick head....on a import they say you look like gizmo.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:17 AM
DHubbs
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I purchased 2 of the Outlaw Ultra Low Profile half helmets from leatherup.com. One glossy & one flat black. They are carbon fiber construction. These helmets are the closest thing to a novelty looking helmet on the market & still are DOT aproved. The mushroom head look is minimal with these. I went through a GSP road block a few months ago & the cop could not believe my helmet had the DOT decal & the label sewn inside it. You mentioned about a accurate sizing chart,,, be warned they run extreamly small. If you decide to buy one get it a full size larger than you would normally wear. There sizing chart is a POS. I have tried many helmets & I am very happy with these, they are what I wear anytime I ride.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:31 AM
jimmything
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I don't think helmets have progressed since the seventies..All they are is fiberglass, polycarbonate and styrofoam on the inside. Buddy of mine had a tank slapper scenario( under 50 mph) and was wearing a Shoei full face, and still had severe brain trauma just hitting the grass in the median.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:44 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by '05Train
HCI 100. Very comfortable, doesn't catch much wind, and kept me from getting dain brammage in the accident.
I agree with you. It's small, light, it doesn't give me a shroom head and it's very reasonably priced. Best bang for the buck, IMO.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:58 AM
dgdamore
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for all the input here. I researched all the brands here, and I gotta say I ended up going with the Skull Crush. It isn't DOT but after reading their write up, I'm not sure I care. It is quality construction using Kevlar and Carbon Fiber with a much more modern inner lining then the DOT helmets. 100% made in USA was a selling point as well. Also, the site mentions if when you receive it, it doesn't fit, just return it and they'll send you another. Now they are custom made to order so, looking at 4 weeks for delivery roughly. I went for the candy root beet carbon fiber beanie. My wife wants to go to the dealer and try some on before she decides.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:23 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 882 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by dgdamore
Thanks for all the input here. I researched all the brands here, and I gotta say I ended up going with the Skull Crush. It isn't DOT but after reading their write up, I'm not sure I care. It is quality construction using Kevlar and Carbon Fiber with a much more modern inner lining then the DOT helmets. 100% made in USA was a selling point as well. Also, the site mentions if when you receive it, it doesn't fit, just return it and they'll send you another. Now they are custom made to order so, looking at 4 weeks for delivery roughly. I went for the candy root beet carbon fiber beanie. My wife wants to go to the dealer and try some on before she decides.
FWIW, you've gotten one of the old ACC helmets. I had one for 2 years, and was happy as hell to send it back and get a full refund. It never fit right and caught wind like a parachute.

And then there's their deceptive business practice of marketing a helmet as DOT-compliant when they knew it wasn't.

Quick Reply: Ugh, helmet help.