Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ugh, helmet help.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 02:25 PM
dgdamore
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Ugh, helmet help.

Well, I'm a guy who loves riding without a helmet, but as I get older, I understand that I should be wearing one and intend to at least on longer highway trips. (I know all the statistics so please, let's not get started down that road). I'd like to buy a half helmet for myself and the old lady that we can use with our intercoms (we have the kind compatible with a half helmet or no helmet at all.) I tried the stock helmet at the local HD shop and it is horrendous. It looks like a big mushroom or dare I say a dick head. Forget it. I'm looking for a light, small DOT legal half helmet. Also, accurate sizing info is critical as if I buy online, I probably won't be able to return it. (Can't return it to the story either actually, but at least at the store I can try it on) I'm open to suggestions.

Old 01-26-2012, 02:34 PM
speedwaysteve
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hjc makes the lightest helmets ive seen...i think there open face is the lightest available ..but not the smallest

Old 01-26-2012, 02:37 PM
hougz79
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an HD Hybrid and agree about the "mushroom head". Great helmet though.

Got a Vega this Christmas in "my size" and it's too big, and shaped kind of funny. I understand what you mean about correct sizing.

So I am stuck with the Vega....and learned my lesson about online helmet purchases. Best advice is to try it on first....I know, pretty deep thoughts.....LOL.

Old 01-26-2012, 02:42 PM
mglax13
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

The smallest DOT legal helmet that I could find was the Daytona helmets. They're not bad, you still have a little mushroom thing going, but it's not nearly as bad as other helmets.

If you don't have a DOT requirement, but want a helmet that's still safe, I'd say look into the Skull Crush helmets. They are made with a carbon fiber shell and an ensolite liner. It's more equally (or more than some) resistant than the DOT helmets, but can't pass the DOT testing because the foam itself doens't meet the thickness requirements.

Old 01-26-2012, 02:58 PM
jacknthebox
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

For a half helmet, take a look at the Outlaw Helmets at Leatherup.com - I got mine for $30 which seems too good to be true but it is a good DOT helmet (pictured LEFT below). If you get one, be sure to get the one with the screwed in visor rather than the snap visor...it's much better quality. Here is a link: https://www.leatherup.com/site/product?pid=42399 Also, I usually wear a Large in full face but using the measurement guide suggested by leatherup and matching it to the size chart I reluctantly ordered the suggested small and it fits great.

You may also want to check out the Nolan N43 Helmet (pictured CENTER below) - I have one of those also - it is kind of the best of both worlds in that the chin-bar is removable. I also removed the shield and put on the visor that comes as an option and it has a built retractable sun-visor - it's a nice looking, light helmet.

Attached Thumbnails Ugh, helmet help.-outlaw-helmet.jpg   Ugh, helmet help.-n43.jpg   Ugh, helmet help.-outlaw.jpg  

Last edited by jacknthebox; 01-26-2012 at 08:31 PM.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:59 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

I have some kind of H-D helmet that I use for trip to hostile territory.

don't know the name/model.

it's kinda like this,

http://www.harley-davidson.com/mcm/m...bmLocale=en_US
it has a little ducktail at the back, it is the first helmet I've ever had that didn't bobble or pull up in the wind.

has visor for sun and vents for 'comfort'

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 01-26-2012 at 03:01 PM.
Old 01-26-2012, 04:01 PM
plutnicki
Road Master
Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Honestly I think that any DOT 1/2 helmet is going to give you that mushroom head look, and it's better to try to find ones that fit good and are comfortable and just ignore the look. It's hard to choose between the subtle variations of "ugly".

Going from no helmet to 1/2 you will find that many have a tendency to catch wind and roll back, you may find some buffetting that you didn't notice before, also the wind is directed over your ears and frankly, I think it's louder than with nothing at all.

I've had a bunch, and currently have a GMax GM55 helmet that is very comfortable, fits my head good, isn't too heavy and doesn't get bounced around too much in the breeze. I also highly recommend the Rockhard 3/4 helmet. It's actually lower profile than the 1/2 helmet, quieter, has a great interior and is very comfortable. I wear it now more than the 1/2.

Good hunting!

Old 01-26-2012, 04:23 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by mglax13

If you don't have a DOT requirement, but want a helmet that's still safe, I'd say look into the Skull Crush helmets. They are made with a carbon fiber shell and an ensolite liner. It's more equally (or more than some) resistant than the DOT helmets, but can't pass the DOT testing because the foam itself doens't meet the thickness requirements.
I have to agree. This is the smallest, most comfortable and aerodynamic helmet I have ever owned. I actually have the original helmet from Advance Carbon fiber company that was DOT approved i.e. until the Dept. of Trans. revoked their approval because it didn't pass the test of dropping a spear shaped weight from about 10' in the air. I believe Skull Crusher is the same company. It's worth checking out.

Old 01-26-2012, 04:46 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 284 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by plutnicki
Honestly I think that any DOT 1/2 helmet is going to give you that mushroom head look, and it's better to try to find ones that fit good and are comfortable and just ignore the look. It's hard to choose between the subtle variations of "ugly".

Going from no helmet to 1/2 you will find that many have a tendency to catch wind and roll back, you may find some buffetting that you didn't notice before, also the wind is directed over your ears and frankly, I think it's louder than with nothing at all.

I agree with this 100%. No DOT legal helmet is non mushroom head looking. Comfort is way more important then looks. If it's not comfortable, you wont wear it and will be wasting your hard earned dollars.

That being said, Nolan makes a great product. They are a little pricey, and the sizing is a bit different then most I have had. They run big. I had to get a Large when all my other helmets are XL.

Old 01-26-2012, 05:10 PM
sgnden
Road Master
Received 56 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by steelerdude1
I agree with this 100%. No DOT legal helmet is non mushroom head looking. Comfort is way more important then looks. If it's not comfortable, you wont wear it and will be wasting your hard earned dollars.

That being said, Nolan makes a great product. They are a little pricey, and the sizing is a bit different then most I have had. They run big. I had to get a Large when all my other helmets are XL.
+1 Glad someone mentioned Nolan. VERY good quality...don't mess with the cheap stuff if you want it to last. The CF buckets are good as well, but I actualy liked the look of these Nolan's better for my giant mug.

Here ya go http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ding-Gear.aspx

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Ugh, helmet help.