Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer prices on parts higher than MSRP?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 03:08 PM
hougz79
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by swinestein
You seriously think they are not making money at MSRP
what he said.....

Old 02-05-2012, 03:11 PM
Rooster37
Road Master

I dont get it, dealers closing doors on a frequent basis, yet still trying to get you for every cent they can take. I dont mind paying msrp on small items at the dealer. By the time you pay shipping it is pretty close to the dealer price, but big ticket items I find the cheapest price if it is online or at a local dealer. 16% is crazy, I am glad no one around here is doing that. It is hard to understand that when these dealers know you can buy the stuff online at 20% off all day long. Maybe they missed the news about the economy....

Old 02-05-2012, 03:18 PM
swinestein
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rooster37
I dont get it, dealers closing doors on a frequent basis, yet still trying to get you for every cent they can take. I dont mind paying msrp on small items at the dealer. By the time you pay shipping it is pretty close to the dealer price, but big ticket items I find the cheapest price if it is online or at a local dealer. 16% is crazy, I am glad no one around here is doing that. It is hard to understand that when these dealers know you can buy the stuff online at 20% off all day long. Maybe they missed the news about the economy....
I agree with you on that. I'm all about supporting my local economy, but when the difference is 36% (20% off MSRP vs 16% over MSRP) guess where I'm going....

Old 02-05-2012, 03:25 PM
BIGVTWIN
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I buy and I fly! In other words I look around for a good price if I like it I buy it and then I am done with it. Dont care if you got it for less once I make the deal I am finished. I will call , fax, email over these prices plus shipping and pick and go!
There are plenty of one owner Harley dealers left, but most are owned by a group of investors 1-99 members. When the majority want more or feel that there investment is not returning enough they raise the price or sell the company.

Old 02-05-2012, 03:30 PM
Bruce00
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I "think" a few here are missing the point, that dealers are like us.

They are paying more for fuel, rent and or property taxes, power bills etc, just like everyone of us.
Hey, Iam all for paying less for my parts, but you have to look at the big picture. And it doesn't look good

Ever wonder why all the closing of dealers?
Could it be that they can't cover expenses

flame on..................

Old 02-05-2012, 03:37 PM
mglax13
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I go to my dealer for most small parts because I get 15% off there, and after taxes, it tends to be less than 20% off plus shipping at the online places, but for big items, there's definitely a significant savings online.

I wouldn't mind support the local dealerships with the big purchases and paying a few more bucks, but every time I walk in there, it's like my sale is useless to them. Hard to get any help, if I'm buying maintenance parts, they seem like they're selling it to me only because they have to and they're pissed they're loosing the maintenance profit by me doing it myself.

Maybe if the dealerships started treating people like customers and not like worshipers, people would be more likely to go to a dealership and spend a few more bucks and keep the m in business with all these rising costs of business.

In the end, if there are multiple dealerships in the area, the shitty ones will close down, and the better of the dealerships will get the business and survive. Doesn't mean they were god to begin with, just better than the rest.

Old 02-05-2012, 03:41 PM
hog95023
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by swinestein
Went to my local dealer today (where I get 10% off) with a shopping list in mind. I had made my list from the 2012 catalog so I knew exactly what I was going to spend.
When I started pulling parts off the shelf I noticed that the prices were running 16% higher than the book price. (so much for the 10% off...) When I asked the parts guy, he said "yeah everything went up as of Feb 1."

I was a little peeved, so needless to say I put everything back and walked out. I think I will shop around a little more.
I find it hard to believe that MOCO would print all the prices in the 2012 book and then Raise them all 16% a month after it comes out. That would not be a wise marketing decision I.M.O.

Anyone else seeing shelf prices higher than the MOCO MSRP in the catalog?
I did too and had about 5-6K in parts and accessories, and noticed they were raising the prices on some of the stuff. i pointed it out and it was reduced to match. then I got a 20% discount after that. Not cause of the price difference but already had an agreement made ahead of time for 20% off. I was wondering if they were trying to make up on the 20% off but guess not since you had the same problem. except my ordeal was last year using the new cataloge.

Old 02-05-2012, 03:44 PM
hougz79
Road Warrior

I have no loyalty to my dealer. I go to them less and less as the years go on. They don't do any discounts (other than once a quarter sales) and the customer service is becoming less gratifying. I get small items or parts from them, but I go online more and more frequently. They are a good group of individuals, but their service is slipping.

Old 02-05-2012, 03:50 PM
Northwoodz
Road Warrior
Received 464 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce00
I "think" a few here are missing the point, that dealers are like us.

They are paying more for fuel, rent and or property taxes, power bills etc, just like everyone of us.
Hey, Iam all for paying less for my parts, but you have to look at the big picture. And it doesn't look good

Ever wonder why all the closing of dealers?
Could it be that they can't cover expenses

flame on..................
Can't cover expenses my ***. If the MoCo would quit pushing oversized state of the art buildings, and forcing the huge overhead like X amount of square feet for t shirts, X amount of square feet for chaps and so on, they they make more than enough at MSRP. I absolutely refuse to buy anything from dealers that TRY to steal out of my pocket.

Old 02-05-2012, 03:52 PM
swinestein
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I get that dealers must cover their costs. Which is why, thus far I've done very little shopping online.
Now, if I came in here and everyone said "Yeah I'm seeing the 16% increase everywhere". Then I'm going back to the local dealer and biting the bullet.
But to me MSRP means that MOCO has decided that "X" is a fair price for this part and dealers should be able to make a healthy living selling at this price.
That being said, I know todays economy is a global economy. If I can support my local economy I do..when the difference becomes 36% for the exact same part number, I'm done.

Quick Reply: Dealer prices on parts higher than MSRP?