Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas Mileage/Blackened Pipes Concern

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 09:15 PM
composed
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas Mileage/Blackened Pipes Concern

Today I decided to call and visit with the people at Fuel Moto about any possible options for my bike (2006 Electra Glide Classic) which could increase my gas mileage. I was ensured that even the PC3 could help, but obviously it would not allow me to auto tune the bike. As for my bad fuel mileage and blackened pipes they were at a loss for the cause if everything was stock. (Purchased the bike used last October, and no matter how conservatively I ride, the mileage has consistently been 30-32 mpg!)
I decided to contact the HD dealership that has been doing my maintenance to ask if anything was noticed during my last couple of visits which could hurt my gas mileage. I was told that nothing was noticed, however I should change out my fuel filter to increase my gas mileage, and that would only cost me ~$300! Obviously, I am not paying $300 for something that will not fix my problem.
I asked further questions about any work the previous owner may have done and was told that the cam had been changed, but was likely a stock cam or a mild cam since the bike had not been re-mapped. I was further informed that a high volume oil pump had been installed, along with a new hydraulic tensioner and a new billet plate and quick install push rods (and that all this work was done on May 14, 2011). Does this sound like a stock or very mild cam was installed? An oil cooler has also been installed on the bike.
I called Fuel Moto back and explained what I was told. The thought was that although I could purchase a Power Commander that would allow me to use Auto Tune, it was suggested that I pull the cam and look for markings to determine the actual cam.
Although I have not been inside this motor (or any other Harley motor) I am now planning to pull the cam, and also considering finding a different HD dealership.
Any thoughts, suggestions or comments?

Last edited by composed; 02-06-2012 at 09:20 PM.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:35 PM
Tinman265
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You need to remap the ecm or a piggyback tuner. ANY cam change will require this....

It will be a whole different bike with a proper tune.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:40 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 396 Likes on 338 Posts

The shop has to "guess" what has been done to the bike to an extent- unless they did the cam- it which case where is the work order with the parts used listed ?

I think you already know that you should be getting low 40's MPG anyway.

I have NEVER seen a bike with a power commander that got increased mileage- maybe fuel moto has, but I sure haven't- I have some pals who tried them to not great results, and when i was bike shopping last year, a couple of bikes had them- and the owners were surprised when i told them i got 44 MPG on my evo. ( and I get 43 on my 09)

See what paperwork the dealership has on your bike- that's where to start and then it looks like you'll have to find out in the ecm has been flashed, and go through the fuel system- fuel filter, injectors and seals, check pump pressure and lines.

all that stuff.

unfortunately you are dealing with used bike problems, either wear or "performance" work that has resulted in your problems

unless you are familiar with motors, have a pro pull the cover and examine the cams. he may see things that your eye doesn't and he does this all day, every day

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 02-06-2012 at 10:16 PM.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:43 PM
composed
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Tinman265.

I am looking at the Power Commander V but also considering other units. I was impressed that FM suggested that I either consider PC3 or PCV and pull the cam to find a good starting place for mapping, or a good starting place if I were to use the Auto Tune function, or to at the very least save myself some cash. FM also mentioned that there are certain conditions with certain cams that although they appear to be calling for less fuel they still get too much because of valve timing from the new cam.
By the way, the HD dealership has conducted all the work on the bike, including the cam installation (along with all the other changes). They told me that they do have records of all the items but nothing that tells them which cam they installed. If I want to know which cam it appears that a visual will have to be done.

Last edited by composed; 02-06-2012 at 09:50 PM.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:36 PM
iwillfixthem4u
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

By the way, the HD dealership has conducted all the work on the bike, including the cam installation (along with all the other changes). They told me that they do have records of all the items but nothing that tells them which cam they installed. If I want to know which cam it appears that a visual will have to be done.[/quote]
I'm going to call Bull Crap! dealer installed cams with no part numbers for cams they installed on the repair order. You are not buying this, right?

Old 02-06-2012, 11:29 PM
Joboo1966
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar
the shop has to "guess" what has been done to the bike to an extent- unless they did the cam- it which case where is the work order with the parts used listed ?

I think you already know that you should be getting low 40's mpg anyway.

I have never seen a bike with a power commander that got increased mileage- maybe fuel moto has, but i sure haven't- i have some pals who tried them to not great results, and when i was bike shopping last year, a couple of bikes had them- and the owners were surprised when i told them i got 44 mpg on my evo. ( and i get 43 on my 09)

see what paperwork the dealership has on your bike- that's where to start and then it looks like you'll have to find out in the ecm has been flashed, and go through the fuel system- fuel filter, injectors and seals, check pump pressure and lines.

All that stuff.

Unfortunately you are dealing with used bike problems, either wear or "performance" work that has resulted in your problems

unless you are familiar with motors, have a pro pull the cover and examine the cams. He may see things that your eye doesn't and he does this all day, every day

mike
mike said it all.

A dyno may tell the dealer what direction to look but beyond that its like going to the doctor with symptoms both common and vague, that could be many different ailments but only one cure.

Take it in and get it dyno'd and remapped if needed. Go from there.

Power commanders are gimmicky........I get 41+mpg on my evo softail and ill bet similar on my newly aquired 97 glide.....no power commanders or junk... just a good ol stage 2 carb set up and tuned to the pipes correctly.

Food for thought. In any case we can guess all night but without some real stats thats all it would be. Your problem may be several issues with a common source.

Good luck bud.......See your dealer.

Last edited by Joboo1966; 02-06-2012 at 11:33 PM.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:30 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by composed
Today I decided to call and visit with the people at Fuel Moto about any possible options for my bike (2006 Electra Glide Classic) which could increase my gas mileage. I was ensured that even the PC3 could help, but obviously it would not allow me to auto tune the bike. As for my bad fuel mileage and blackened pipes they were at a loss for the cause if everything was stock. (Purchased the bike used last October, and no matter how conservatively I ride, the mileage has consistently been 30-32 mpg!)
Not too good, and abnormal if the tune is stock. There's no telling, as it might have had a flash-based tuner installed and the tune altered with one overly rich in the cruise range, which isn't uncommon. I would try to establish what tune is in the ECM at this time before attempting to install another tuner like a PCV, as if the map installed is earmarked for a stock tune it might make the mileage even worse.

I decided to contact the HD dealership that has been doing my maintenance to ask if anything was noticed during my last couple of visits which could hurt my gas mileage. I was told that nothing was noticed, however I should change out my fuel filter to increase my gas mileage, and that would only cost me ~$300! Obviously, I am not paying $300 for something that will not fix my problem.
That's a lame prognosis unless there's evidence it needs a new filter. I would change it every 50k, though.

I asked further questions about any work the previous owner may have done and was told that the cam had been changed, but was likely a stock cam or a mild cam since the bike had not been re-mapped.
You'll need to get a grip on this for sure, as Fuel Moto suggested, so I would advise going into the cam chest to ID the cams installed. If that dealer did the work he should know specifically what was done.

I was further informed that a high volume oil pump had been installed, along with a new hydraulic tensioner and a new billet plate and quick install push rods (and that all this work was done on May 14, 2011). Does this sound like a stock or very mild cam was installed?
I can't imagine why anyone would replace stock cams with stock cams, unless they were somehow damaged, like if the tensioners disintegrated and the resulting debris caused damage. This sounds more possible since the oil pump was replaced.

I would pull the cams for an ID, then have the dealer flash a stock tune back in the bike. After that, buy a PCV and have FM install a map for that configuration--and ask for their "mileage map." It will be a bit leaner but not lean enough to cause heat problems.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:34 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar
I have NEVER seen a bike with a power commander that got increased mileage- maybe fuel moto has, but I sure haven't- I have some pals who tried them to not great results, and when i was bike shopping last year, a couple of bikes had them- and the owners were surprised when i told them i got 44 MPG on my evo. ( and I get 43 on my 09).
It's hard to get better mileage than stock with any tuner, as stock is very lean. I used a PCIII and later a PCV for four years and mileage stayed about at stock levels, as I tuned on the lean side. I could get high-40's and even 50mpg on occasion riding the backroads. I still can get into the high 40's, but E10 gas has hurt mileage a bit. Good gas mileage lies with the tune, not the tuner itself.

Old 02-07-2012, 12:20 PM
dboyenga
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 06 RKC that I've owned for about a year and a half has true duals and stage one with a SERT and was dyno tuned by a dealer by original owner. No internal engine work. It had 7k on it when I got it. It runs great, good power/performance no complaints except like you, mpg. No matter how I ride it, I consistantly get 33-35 mpg. Once last summer I took a 300 mile day trip for the sole purpose of trying to maximize mpg. Took county roads 55-65 mph riding as conservatively as possible, got 37 mpg for the trip. I've had several people look at the dyno run sheet from back when it was done and all have said it looks good. A/F ratio hovers around 13/1 throughout the run.

Old 02-07-2012, 12:28 PM
TickTock
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why dont you ask the dealer to contact the previous owner to see what is in the bike? I have had dealers call me over the years and ask me questions about things done to my old bikes.

Quick Reply: Gas Mileage/Blackened Pipes Concern