Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many trailer rather than ride

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 03:21 PM
kojak
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,504 Likes on 1,253 Posts

Riding for 35 years, only trailer my bikes have been on is tow truck breakdowns on the highway. Ridden in hurricanes, blizzards, sunshine, its all been good.....to each his own!

Old 02-12-2012, 03:22 PM
jjpish
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ride Ride Ride, If 500 is too much in a day take an extra day getting there.

Old 02-12-2012, 04:23 PM
blusmbl
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Solo, I'll ride there. If the GF is coming, she brings the snorting, sneezing, poop-eating chocolate lab with us so we end up taking a truck anyway. At that point I'll just throw it in the bed and be done with it.

Old 02-12-2012, 04:35 PM
Al Brown
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I trailer...............

Old 02-12-2012, 05:51 PM
Fathertime500
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blusmbl
Solo, I'll ride there. If the GF is coming, she brings the snorting, sneezing, poop-eating chocolate lab with us so we end up taking a truck anyway. At that point I'll just throw it in the bed and be done with it.
Talking about the Lab, GF, or bike?

Old 02-12-2012, 05:55 PM
cdestuck
Supporter

Received 211 Likes on 101 Posts

Will trailer for weeather reasons. Have trailered twice part way to Daytona Bike week fro here in central Pa. Sometimes its just what ya have to do if ya want to ride. But this year, come nearly hell or high water, I'm determined to ride out of the north to get south.

Old 02-12-2012, 06:21 PM
Smokengun
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll post something a little different and say I haven't been in a situation to tour (yet). This is my first touring bike. But I'm planning on it this year. So I have no idea what my limits are. I'll find out and either keep riding (which is what I want), or trailer. I have no idea yet.

Old 02-12-2012, 06:59 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 882 Likes on 439 Posts

A good friend of mine lives out on Long Island. So basically the first and last 90-120 minutes of any long-distance ride suck. This year he picked up one of those hydraulic sleds that mounts to his pickup truck bed so he can get the hell away from NYC, park the truck, take the bike off, do his thing, then load the bike back up when he gets back and drive through Manhattan rather than fighting that traffic when he's tired at the end of a trip.

Sounds like a helluva idea, and I'd probably do the same if I lived there.

I don't trailer, I ride. That's my choice, and it doesn't make me any more of a "real rider", or make my wiener any bigger.

Old 02-12-2012, 07:06 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

I rode from Daytona to Savannah Georgia with Barbara on the back seat. About 4 1/2 hours. That is pretty much the limit. If I want to go farther, faster....I have to put the bike on a trailer. I am not retired, so vacation/sick time comes into play. I can't just say "Oh...let's take and extra three days to go a thousand miles."
Put the frigging bike on a trailer (It don't even care)....drive through the night and I am there. Why take three days piddle farting around when I really want to ride at the destination?

Chuck

Old 02-12-2012, 07:23 PM
pbsdaddy
Extreme HDF Member

Received 5,383 Likes on 2,487 Posts

While we beat this topic to death just once more, how about we define "trailer". If we're talking about a 5X8 with a drop gate or something similar, then no, I don't trailer. If we're talking about, do I take my camping quarters with me, then the answer is yes. I have been to rally's and had people come up to me and ask if I ride while the wife tows the toy hauler? Why???? Those that ask these stupid questions never get around to asking anything worth while. They seem satisfied to conclude I am a poser since I own an ultra and it goes inside my toy hauler. I'm 63. I took my first solo ride at 14. I bought my first bike at 17. I have owned and ridden bikes from at least 5 different manufactures. If that makes me a poser, so be it. But someone please tell me what it is I'm, posing for? Maybe one of you that "ride" the whole way, with a "chase truck" full of camping gear, food and other supplies following right behind, can tell me what I am posing for. Most of the time, people asking me if I trailer have no idea how many miles I have under me. Also, most of the time, they are too young to even think about how many more miles they need to catch up.
You want a real "biker" question? How about "How many miles have you ridden solo and where did you go? BTW, solo don't mean with 10 other riders, for support, and a chase truck. Now that's a meaningful question.

Quick Reply: How many trailer rather than ride