Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many trailer rather than ride

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 10:03 PM
rhj
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For us poor working folks with limited time for vacations I don't see anything wrong with trailering to the destination and putting the miles on with the wife 2 up on day trips. So a 2500 mile total becomes a 1000 mile ride trailering and a 1500 mile trip ridding 200 miles or more a day with plenty of time to stop and smell the roses. Hope to be able to ride more in the future but till then call me trailer man if I have to go 500 miles or more to start my real reason to ride. I'm no poser either, many bikes since I was 14. Can't we agree to each his own and share our love of riding.

Old 02-12-2012, 10:13 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

In the past ten seasons I have hauled a a bike on a trailer twice. I prefer to do long distance rides but on occasion it is necessary for me to trailer. In 07 I planned on riding from Chicago to Daytona bike Week. A late winter major blizzard changed plan A to plan B which was trailer to Daytona.

In 09 I decided to take a ride to a gathering in Tennessee to do the Dragon, other roads and the Time Was museum which was going to close or more due to loss of lease. My wife who does not ride wanted to go also so onto the trailer the bike went.

By the end of this season I will have 49 States and all the Canadian Provence's along with one Territory under my belt along with a half dozen 800 to 1,000 mile one day rides.

Unless the trailer haters out there can show me a better riding resume they can go pound sand as they have no standing in my opinion to comment on anyone else's choices. I think that many that say it's about the ride not the destination haven't been to far from their home.

Last edited by lh4x4; 02-12-2012 at 10:24 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:27 PM
The Cheesehead
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Done plenty of solo rides much farther than 500 miles. Love going on really long rides. But when I'm going to a rally, I like to bring my housing with me. I've done a lot of camping and sleeping under the stars, but given the choice I'd rather sleep in a bed!

Nothing wrong with trailering my bike...but to answer the original question...I'd rather ride. Trailered to Sturgis in 2011 and put on nearly 2,000 miles once I got there, and slept in a bed every night!!

Last edited by The Cheesehead; 02-12-2012 at 10:30 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:37 PM
roborob
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AMEN ! We all ride and have diff. and valid reasons for a trailer.Who should care ? Do your own thing . If you dont like trailers or trailering keep it to yourself. I liked the POUND SAND comment.

Old 02-12-2012, 10:58 PM
toketee
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd rather ride, 500 miles is a very doable day if you are in shape for it. Sounds funny to have to get in shape for sitting on your butt, but if you want to enjoy your whole ride work up to it. That being said, I take offense to the bad a$$ no trailer crowd. Right now I have to trailer a half mile down to the pavement on the few days there is no snow, ice, or cinders on the road. If you don't live down south like some of these "hard core riders" do, your bike either sits in the garage all winter or you trailer. It seems to me that a guy who will trailer his bike a thousand miles just to ride a week in the dead of winter is rather "hard core" him?her self.

Old 02-12-2012, 11:03 PM
sublime_ac
Road Master

Not saying there's anything wrong with trailering.. But riding some distance on a touring bike is not all that bad. The biggest thing is to keep your skin covered / sunscreen applied and stay hydrated. If you go at a comfortable pace you can easily do 500 mile days in the saddle.

If you want to get there in a hurry or your significant other can't handle the saddle time then by all means trailer...

Old 02-12-2012, 11:07 PM
Hrd Rider
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Why buy a Harley if you are going to trailer it all over the country. My son and I are heading to California this year, we do a 6000 + miler every August. It is usually a 16 day ride out west, some days are 500 miles + except when we visit NPs or travel the scenic routes. By the way I just turned 80 yrs. old this past September, also just went from my 2005 Heritage to a new 2012 Electra Glide Classic. I RIDE MINE.

Old 02-12-2012, 11:28 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,520 Likes on 2,490 Posts

Depends on the destination,route,weather.

Interstate? Trailer. Backroads? ride. Below high of 80-trailer rainy season? trailer.

Why? I cannot stand to be cold,wet,or uncomfortable. Too old & grouchy for that crap. I ain't got nuttin' to prove.

HOWEVER......

I am speaking in the future tense. I have owned a trailer for the last 14 years, and I have NEVER used it except to pick up a friend whose bike broke down (a bike that I sold himLOL) & when I moved from Tampa to Ft. Lauderdale. I have the trailer to be able to evacuate my sleds in case of a hurricane, or in the event of a breakdown. Only distance I ride is Daytona; I never go farther than a couple hours out. Just not into touring. All my vacations are done on airlines.

Last edited by dickey; 02-12-2012 at 11:31 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:29 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Do watchca gotta do, don't worry about it.

Old 02-12-2012, 11:37 PM
cdroundy
Intermediate

Interesting thread. I think for me it does not matter if you trailer it and then ride, or ride the whole time. It's what works for you period.

Quick Reply: How many trailer rather than ride