Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Understanding SERT & dynos

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 09:42 AM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Understanding SERT & dynos

Well, after three months I'm a little disappointed with my V&H Fuelpak. I'm running it with V&H Oval Slip-Ons and the SE Stage 1 Air Intake, and the bike runs lean (this is a '07 RKC). Emails and discussions with V&H haven't resolved the problem, but if I send in the unit and $29.95 they will upgrade it to the newest version of the firmware. But they have stopped short of telling me that this will resolve the lean running condition.

So now, I am considering other fuel management systems. Through this forum, I'm pretty familiar with the PCIII, but I can't seem to get a straight answer from my dealer about other options. One mechanic is suggesting the DFO/TFI module, but I'm not sure I like that idea. What about the SERT? And what is the relationship between the SERT and a dyno run? What about a dyno run without the SERT? I can't figure out what combination of "genuine Harley" options I should consider.

OK, I know that many folks are going to suggest that I should just go with the PCIII, but I want to understand about the SERT before I make another $250 decision. This experience with the FuelPak has left me skeptical about non-Harley solutions.

Old 12-17-2006, 10:00 AM
bountyhunter
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Understanding SERT & dynos

Dyno tuning with a SERT/PCIII, by an experienced PRO, will get you a PRECISE tune. PCIII is by far, the most popular/proven tuning unit. www.fuelmotousa.com for more info. If your dealer can't give ya a straight answer about SERT, what does that tell ya? Find an authorized PCIII tuning center and get some answers. Get a SERT & at most dealers it will see very limited dyno action if any at all, most just install a set program, they think will be close.

Old 12-17-2006, 10:35 AM
relxn88
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you decide to go with the PC111, Map #812-003 is v&h ovals, a/c, and stock ecm. I see where you have a Stage 1 A/C, but you didn't say whether you had a stage 1 download by the stealer. http://www.powercommander.com/812-511.aspx seems like a map for you. Power Commander has some maps for 2007, but not a lot yet. If you happen to have the same parts as the ones in the maps, then you'll be in perfect shape. If you go with the Sert, just make sure they have a canned map which matches your mods.
Also, if your planning on any engine mods down the line, check in your area for somebody who can dyno and set-up "correctly" with either the Sert of PC111. Good Luck. Just my 2 cents.

Old 12-17-2006, 10:41 AM
relxn88
Advanced

http://www.powercommander.com/812-511.aspx. This URL goes to the page with the 2007 Power Commander maps.
Map #812-003 is similiar to your build. Didn't mean for my last post to seem like #812-511 was a map for you. Sorry for the confusion on my part.

Old 12-17-2006, 10:43 AM
Longtimegone
Road Captain

I bought the SERT from Zanotti's online and saved a few bucks. It cost $359 - much less than the dealer. I made an appointment with a local independent to get the dyno tune. Then I installed my own version of a stage one upgrade and downloaded the Harley stage one map included with the SERT. I could tell that the bike was still running way lean so it was time to take my SERT interface and ride over to the independent.

I should have asked the tuner what brand of EFI management system he preferred before I bought the SERT. His opinion may have influenced my decision. When I got there I asked to go back into the shop to watch and learn. My first question was to ask the tuner his thought on the SERT. He said he prefers the SERT because of the number and range of adjustments with the SERT. He said it will take a little longer because with SERT you have to stop and download every time you change the map. (PCIII you don't have to stop.) He said that it was worth it though. Worth the extra dollars and time.

The tune only took about an hour and one half. The front cylinder with the standard HD stage one map I downloaded was indeed very lean. the rear cylinder was extremely lean. An hour and one half later we had a smooth, straight A/F line and some good, strong torque and HP curves. The SERT was well worth it.

Old 12-17-2006, 11:12 AM
kilo639
Intermediate

It seems that no matter what equipment you choose to go with, the most important aspect, will be the tech who does the tuning. Mine runs great now after a 5 hour tune. My mpg is suffering but it runs great.

Old 12-17-2006, 11:30 AM
Longtimegone
Road Captain

Pastor,
I notice you live in the Atlanta area. Ride down to Fayetteville to American Twin on hwy 85 just north of town. Talk with Butch (the owner) and John (the tuner) about what you want to do. Both are great. Even several mechanics from HD dealers come down to have John do their tuning.
Ride safe.

Old 12-17-2006, 11:51 AM
geargrinder
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with Kilo639 in that finding the best tuner and go with what he uses. It seems like the SERT is the best tuning solution IF the tuner is very familiar with it. Like I have stated on this forum before, I would rather have my bike tuned by a good tuner with a weak system then the other way around. Never go out and buy a tuning system and take it to a tuner if he is not familiar with it and especially if he sells tuning systems to. Ask around for suggestions on good bike EFI dyno tuners and only go to a tuner after you have heard his name suggested at random many times, be careful of the buddy network for referals. And be prepared to have to drive a distance to find him because there are not many good tuners around, the only kind you want. Like in the high performance car world, the dealer is usually the last place that you would go for custom work unless you stay very close to the upgrades etc that is supported by HD. Good luck.

Old 12-17-2006, 12:00 PM
MiniMe
Road Master

I chose to with a SERT for many reasons.

1. A SERT will allow the tuner to connect directly to the ECM for reprogramming. Then it is removed and stored. A PCIII rides piggyback on the ECM. If it fails, you lose your tune and will have to remove it to get the bike to run. It may leave you stranded. Like it did one of my friends. I call the PCIII a bandade fix.

2. SERT is more tunable, in the proper hands of a good tuner, it is the best option. It is pricey but will be better in the long run. PCIII's are propular because the ease of connecting it, loading a flash in it, than your done. You can do the same with a SERT but why spend the money if your not going to get it tuned. With as lean as the 06 and 07 bikes are running most flash loads are not likely to give you the proper tune and may leave your bike still running lean which is not at all good for the engine.

If you want a reliable tuning device then get the SERT. Other fuel managment devices only add another module and another electrical item that are known to fail and may leave you on the roadside.

This is my opinion as is all advise you will recieve on this and every forum. The best thing to do is research and i'm sure you will also come to the same conclusion.

Old 12-17-2006, 12:19 PM
sportyrider1
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pastor since you are in atlanta one of the better indy tuners is Gary up at hogwild in Temple
http://www.hogwildoftemple.com/ they are only about 30 min. west of six flags on I-20 give them a call and see which they prefer a sert or a pcIII. they are one of the oldest powercommander tuners in Ga. If you go powercommander then Jamie at Fuelmotousa is the only way to go, his service after the sale is second to none and price is hard to beat for brand new units
Sportyrider1
Powder Springs Ga.

Quick Reply: Understanding SERT & dynos